Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-09-14, 10:04 AM   #796
Tango589
Still crazy as ever!

Downloads: 180
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddahaid View Post
Hmmm. I not sure if the establishment could tell us apart from the inmat......guests although we could very likely make a killing by repeatedly selling tickets to the same people and book first class return airfare.
Aha, I see you've spotted the master stroke in my plan! If we keep this up long enough this time next year we'll be millionaires!

As Del-boy would put it:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armistead View Post
Well, last time we were in better shape. I don't know that we can strip at gay bars again state to state to get back home.....and the one time we went to Alabama, well, I'm not dressing up like a sheep again.....
None of these shenanigans will be necessary if my plan comes to fruition. Still, If they do occur, you can always come to me to be absolved of your sins (as well as receiving treatment for injuries so caused).

Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...
Tango589 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-14, 12:19 PM   #797
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22
Uploads: 0

Quote:
well, I'm not dressing up like a sheep again.....
WHA....! the very thought of EWE looking a little woolie in a gay bar...??? WHERE's that Aft'o'glide..... and the shears

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-14, 10:40 PM   #798
Kaptlt.Endrass
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 96

Quote:
Well, last time we were in better shape. I don't know that we can strip at gay bars again state to state to get back home.....and the one time we went to Alabama, well, I'm not dressing up like a sheep again.....
With me along, we won't have to resort to that. First, we 'borrow' an airplane, then we can go from there. I've got 247 hours logged behind a double-engine Cessna, so if we 'take' the Memphis Belle 'on a maintnence run' to Europe and all over the states, there's only a 63.58309% chance of us going down.

Unless Aktung replaces the dual-fifties in the turrets and Budda and Wolferz shoot the tail off.

As much as I dislike it sometimes, I'm a tin can sailor, through and through.
Kaptlt.Endrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-14, 11:10 PM   #799
Buddahaid
Shark above Space Chicken

Downloads: 160

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaptlt.Endrass View Post
With me along, we won't have to resort to that. First, we 'borrow' an airplane, then we can go from there. I've got 247 hours logged behind a double-engine Cessna, so if we 'take' the Memphis Belle 'on a maintnence run' to Europe and all over the states, there's only a 63.58309% chance of us going down.

Unless Aktung replaces the dual-fifties in the turrets and Budda and Wolferz shoot the tail off.
My aim is always good when shooting tail.

"Tomorrow belongs to those who can hear it coming."
David Bowie
Buddahaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-14, 12:35 AM   #800
swamprat69er
Aceydeucy

Downloads: 11

Quote:
I may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but I count 4 engines on the Belle. What are you going to do? Not start two of them?

We the willing, led by the unsure, have done so much with so little, for so long, that we are now qualified to do anything with nothing.
swamprat69er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-14, 06:18 PM   #801
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy

^YOU'RE lookin' at it all wrong! "Yet, because of the B-17s sturdy and stout design, its crews (including two still living uncles-ages 93!) trusted their aircraft believing that their 'Forts' wouldn't let them down. B-17s returned to England daily with their noses blown open, tails gashed and wings riddled with flack damage. Often they touched down with one or two oil-streaked engines stone cold, with the remaining engines moaning under the strain." Naturally the honor your enemies pay you counts more"During World War II, after crash-landing or being forced down, approximately 40 B-17s were captured and refurbished, with about a dozen put back into the air. Given German national markings on their wings and fuselage sides, and tail fin-flashes, the captured B-17s were used to determine the B-17's vulnerabilities and to train German interceptor pilots in attack tactics.Others, with the cover designations Dornier Do 200 and Do 288, were used as long-range transports by the Kampfgeschwader 200 special duties unit, carrying out agent drops and supplying secret airstrips in the Middle East and North Africa. They were chosen specifically for these missions as being more suitable for this role than other available German aircraft; they never attempted to deceive the Allies and always wore full Luftwaffe markings One B-17 of KG200, bearing the Luftwaffe's KG 200 Geschwaderkennung (combat wing code) markings A3+FB, was interned by Spain when it landed at Valencia airfield, 27 June 1944, remaining there for the rest of the war It has been alleged that some B-17s kept their Allied markings and were used by the Luftwaffe in attempts to infiltrate B-17 bombing formations and report on their positions and altitudes. According to these allegations, the practice was initially successful, but Army Air Force combat aircrews quickly developed and established standard procedures to first warn off, and then fire upon any "stranger" trying to join a group's formation. pics or it didn't happen

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Old 12-11-14, 08:13 PM   #802
Kaptlt.Endrass
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 96

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamprat69er View Post
I may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but I count 4 engines on the Belle. What are you going to do? Not start two of them?
I COULD do that. But it can't be that hard to start another two engines. If it comes down to it, I'll teach the copilot the wonders of aerial engine maintnence.

Speaking of which, I need a good crew. All may apply for one of the following:
Copilot, navigator, bombadier (for ending problems the Bilge may have), gunners, and flight attendant. We must have our in-flight prime rib and champagne.

As much as I dislike it sometimes, I'm a tin can sailor, through and through.
Kaptlt.Endrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-14, 08:27 PM   #803
Armistead
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 364

We could parachute into Alabama all dressed as Santa, lights on us, etc..Kapt. could then land the plane, if he don't make it....we'll figure it out...

We do need some toys for the kids and the only toys in the bilge..., well, those won't work.

Now we just gotta "borrow" a plane....

You see my dog don't like people laughing. He gets the crazy idea you're laughing at him. Now if you apologize like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.
Armistead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-14, 08:40 PM   #804
Tango589
Still crazy as ever!

Downloads: 180
Uploads: 1

You know, in the time I've been a Rat, there's one question I've never gotten to ask. Where the hell are we docked?

Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...
Tango589 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-14, 10:50 PM   #805
Buddahaid
Shark above Space Chicken

Downloads: 160

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango589 View Post
You know, in the time I've been a Rat, there's one question I've never gotten to ask. Where the hell are we docked?
Good question. I believe I was drugged and just woke up here.

"Tomorrow belongs to those who can hear it coming."
David Bowie
Buddahaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-14, 01:15 AM   #806
swamprat69er
Aceydeucy

Quote:
I COULD do that. But it can't be that hard to start another two engines.
Starting isn't the problem.
Your Cessna twin engine is on tricycle landing gear. Real easy to taxi, take off and land. The B-17 is a 'tail dragger'. A whole new world will open up for you when you try to get one of those flying buses into the air. Landing is a whole 'nother story. Just because you might be able to do it on a 'puter, don't mean squat in the real world, but you are welcome to try. I will stay in the hanger and watch.

We the willing, led by the unsure, have done so much with so little, for so long, that we are now qualified to do anything with nothing.
Old 12-12-14, 01:17 AM   #807
swamprat69er
Aceydeucy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango589 View Post
I was stoned and I missed it.

Old 12-12-14, 05:35 AM   #808
Wolferz
Navy Seal

Downloads: 52
If you don't know where you are.

Look outside.
Always remember...
No matter where you go, there you are.

I think this building is labeled "Hangar 18"

We're going flying?
Great!
Lemme break out my old copy of B-17 Flying Fortress The Mighty Eighth for a refresher course on flying one of those birds. They even programmed the full engine starting procedures and the Nordstrom Bomb Sight.

Tomorrow never comes
Wolferz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-14, 10:51 AM   #809
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolferz View Post
Nordstrom Bomb Sight.
They sell those???
Old 12-12-14, 12:45 PM   #810
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve View Post
They sell those???
INDEED! $8995 +$60 shipping with case! however: A member of the German Duquesne Spy Ring, Herman W. Lang, who had been employed by the Carl L. Norden Corporation, (manufacturers of the Norden bombsight) was able to provide vital details of the new bombsight to the Germans. During a visit to Germany in 1938, Lang reconstructed plans from memory.
The Norden consisted of two primary parts, the optical system, and a large stabilization platform. Both were complex and had to be separately maintained to keep them operational.
In comparison the Lotfe 7 was dramatically simpler, consisting of a single metal box containing the vast majority of the mechanism, The mechanisms within combined the functions of the Norden's stabilizer and optics, moving the mirror to stabilize the image as well as tracking the target. The controls were likewise much simpler than the Nordens', consisting primarily of three large knurled knobs to adjust aim. Given the low quality of our proposed aircrew-myself included-as top turret/engineer with only 115 hours in a Cessna and considering that ArmiBBY will probably be the bombardier...a used Lofte 7 would be best under the Bilge's KISS principle, especially if we get one of these to go with it with whatever bombsight...they'll be on the Fritz permanently!