SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-23-22, 05:33 PM   #3061
Otto Harkaman
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 31
Uploads: 0

Deep state - Parts of the governmental apparatus bureaucracy have decided that they are better at governance than the constitutionally elected government.

Otto Harkaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-22, 05:40 PM   #3062
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapuc View Post
It looks like I missed the point so please enlighten me-Teach me more about this Deep State.

Markus

Don't see it as a cult of personality Markus but rather and example of how entrenched bureaucracy can take on a life of it's own. The Deep State we're talking about doesn't care whether their current masters are left or right as long as whatever ideological crusade those interests represent means increased power for them.

Guy like Trump comes along talking about how he is going to Drain the Swamp is going to get a lot of push back from them.

Flanked by life and the funeral pyre. Putting on a show for you to see.
August is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-22, 05:49 PM   #3063
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

Thank you for your answer on my question.

Make me wonder how strong the Deep State is in USA and what different will it make to vote-when they are in charge and not the elected.

Markus

My little lovely female cat
mapuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-22, 09:10 PM   #3064
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapuc View Post
Thank you for your answer on my question.

Make me wonder how strong the Deep State is in USA and what different will it make to vote-when they are in charge and not the elected.

Markus
A president should, within the confines of the law, always be able to hire and fire anyone he so desires in the executive branch since all those unelected ne’er-do-wells are supposed to work for him, not the other way around. Unfortunately back then the previous one tried and a flock idiots accused him of fascism and destroying democracy.

As an elected official of this government any president needs to get people in his branch who will work with him and promote the policies which got him elected in the first place.

The check to absolute power are both houses of Congress.

At least that’s how I think it should work.

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.

Last edited by Rockstar; 01-23-22 at 09:28 PM.
Rockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-22, 11:12 PM   #3065
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockstar View Post
A president should, within the confines of the law, always be able to hire and fire anyone he so desires in the executive branch since all those unelected ne’er-do-wells are supposed to work for him, not the other way around. Unfortunately back then the previous one tried and a flock idiots accused him of fascism and destroying democracy.

As an elected official of this government any president needs to get people in his branch who will work with him and promote the policies which got him elected in the first place.

The check to absolute power are both houses of Congress.

At least that’s how I think it should work.

And that IMO was Trumps biggest failure. POTUS isn't a job that one can do by themselves. They need to bring in a whole army of bureaucrats and managers along with them that share the vision and will work to promote the agenda. Trump foolishly thought that winning the office meant that he won a such a team and the hold overs he left in place did nothing but trip him up at every turn.

Old 01-24-22, 01:48 PM   #3066
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Interesting article:

Quote:
Report: State Contracts Boost Dem-Linked Lawyers, Not Consumers

By Susan Crabtree - RCP Staff January 24, 2022

Last year, McKinsey & Company, the global management consulting firm, agreed to pay nearly $600 million to settle complaints brought by 49 state attorneys general for its alleged role in exacerbating the opioid crisis. McKinsey was accused of helping to “turbo-charge” opioid sales by advising drug manufacturers to focus marketing efforts on doctors already writing the most prescriptions of the addictive painkillers.

But the first recipient of the windfall was a group of lawyers. The settlement deal allocated $15 million to the nonprofit National Association of Attorneys General with the remaining cash mainly slated for state government departments and state general fund accounts.

So much for the consumer protection the lawsuits promised. And it’s hardly an isolated case. Attorneys general – politicians who have to campaign for that role – and other state government entities often hire large private trial-lawyer firms to help prosecute their cases, entering into weak contracts that provide big fees for the firms but few guarantees that consumers will see any restitution from the legal action, according to a new report by the conservative Alliance for Consumers.

The report also notes that, though Democrats tend to boast about standing up to big business and protecting consumers, it’s Democratic politicians who appear to benefit most from weak public contracts, as well as their natural political ties to trial lawyers.

The AFC study found that the top eight plaintiff-side trial firms — all of which boast numerous state and local government public contracts involving prominent litigation — generated $15 million in combined political donations from 2017 to 2020. The donations were doled out by the firms either directly, or through their roughly 1,300 lawyers and other employees and staff, with 98% of those funds going to Democrats or groups supporting their reelection. Those eight firms are Morgan & Morgan, Lieff Cabraser, Motley Rice, Baron & Budd, Grant & Eisenhofer, Berger Montague, Cohen Milstein, and Simmons Hanly Conroy.

The $15 million from these eight firms dwarfs federal donations generated by some of the biggest U.S.-based corporations, including BlackRock (the world’s largest asset manager), Nike and Twitter.

Lieff Cabraser, for instance, generated more than $30,000 per lawyer in federal giving from 2017 through 2020, more than $2.5 million in total with only $30 of that political largesse going to a Republican candidate or committee, the AFC found.

“It’s a political money game where [these firms] are getting millions in state money through very problematic, under-protective contracts, then they’re turning around and being very aggressive with their political giving to Democrats,” said O.H. Skinner, the executive director of Alliance for Consumers, which works to ensure that consumer-protection efforts, class-action lawsuits and attorney general enforcement actions are consistent with the rule of law and benefit everyday consumers, not just class-action lawyers and politicians.

“Time and time again in these cases, it ends up with lawyers getting millions of dollars, part of which goes to help feed political donations to Democrats, and consumers get nothing. … Consumer protection is getting hijacked,” he said.

Skinner, who previously worked on top consumer-oriented cases under Arizona Attorney General Mark Brnovich, argues the taxpayer-funded contracts between state governments and these firms often lack basic ethics protections that should be part of all outside-counsel contracts.

Too often, he said, the contracts are only a few pages long and glaringly weak, sometimes appearing to be written by the trial lawyers themselves rather than government officials. The contracts, which often have no expiration date, also almost never ensure that contingency fees for the lawyers will not be taken out of money set aside for restitution to victims, for instance. They also usually fail to require that the lawyers provide the best pricing terms that the same firms offer to other governmental clients on the same matters. And the contracts almost never include language providing appropriate conflicts protection, even though trial lawyers often represent multiple government entities that may have very different interests in the same case.
https://www.realclearpolitics.com/ar...rs_147083.html

Old 01-25-22, 10:49 AM   #3067
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

It's OK he belongs to the good guys and Fox News are with the bad guys.

Quote:
Fox White House Correspondent Peter Doocy asked Biden, "Would you take a question on inflation ... ? Do you think inflation is a political liability in the midterms?"
https://edition.cnn.com/2022/01/24/p...ter/index.html

Markus

My little lovely female cat
mapuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-22, 11:41 AM   #3068
Buddahaid
Shark above Space Chicken

Downloads: 160

Georgia grants special grand jury to investigate Trump's election interference. No power to indict but power to subpoena.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/01/24/polit...ury/index.html

"Tomorrow belongs to those who can hear it coming."
David Bowie
Buddahaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-22, 12:14 PM   #3069
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddahaid View Post
Georgia grants special grand jury to investigate Trump's election interference. No power to indict but power to subpoena.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/01/24/polit...ury/index.html
Ah, it's the "Get Trump Fishing Expedition, Episode #279". Like the 278 others that have preceded it I expect that their boat will turn out to be named The Minnow and is heading out for yet another "three hour tour" at taxpayer expense!

Old 01-25-22, 12:27 PM   #3070
Buddahaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by August View Post
Ah, it's the "Get Trump Fishing Expedition, Episode #279". Like the 278 others that have preceded it I expect that their boat will turn out to be named The Minnow and is heading out for yet another "three hour tour" at taxpayer expense!
It could be. Right up there next to the plethora of failed lawsuits trying to prove election fraud, but hey, there's Mike Lindell still out there saying he has enough dope to jail 300 million people for life and special super paper that has whatever. I mean with sensible people like that on your side what could go wrong? Rudy Giuliani seems to have been shut up at least which stops at least some of the embarrassment.

David Bowie
Old 01-25-22, 12:43 PM   #3071
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Quote:
It could be. Right up there next to the plethora of failed lawsuits trying to prove election fraud, but hey, there's Mike Lindell still out there saying he has enough dope to jail 300 million people for life and special super paper that has whatever. I mean with sensible people like that on your side what could go wrong? Rudy Giuliani seems to have been shut up at least which stops at least some of the embarrassment.
I'm sorry but are you thinking that Mike Lindell some sort of government official? Last I heard he was a private citizen who right, wrong or debatable is still entitled to his opinion in this country in spite of the efforts of the fascist Democrats to silence everything but their party line. You seem to be confusing that with government officials and agencies misusing their power in vendettas against political opponents.

I can't wait to see the Repubs retake Congress and see the political investigation boot move to the other foot.

Old 01-25-22, 01:01 PM   #3072
Buddahaid

Where's the proof of voter fraud? It's been well over a year?

David Bowie
Old 01-25-22, 07:03 PM   #3073
MaDef
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 5

Quote:
Where's the proof of voter fraud? It's been well over a year?
In a filing cabinet, next to the file marked "voter suppression evidence"
MaDef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-22, 08:48 PM   #3074
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaDef View Post
In a filing cabinet, next to the file marked "voter suppression evidence"
You could check Schiff's personal safe under Russian collusion next to the pee tapes. Also I heard Michael Cohen and other low hanging fruit are ready to turn over new evidence any day now.

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.
Rockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-22, 09:02 PM   #3075
Buddahaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockstar View Post
You could check Schiff's personal safe under Russian collusion next to the pee tapes. Also I heard Michael Cohen and other low hanging fruit are ready to turn over new evidence any day now.
It's easy to have low hanging fruit when the "tree" is a dwarf.

David Bowie