SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-09-20, 05:09 PM   #1
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37
Uploads: 0

Default I have a goal (which I most likely won't reach)

I have had this goal for decades now.

The biggest problems is money..This dream cost a lot of money and due to my choice of living I have to pay double the price.

(Have chosen to live my life alone, with my cat)

Now that my income is a little better I can put some money aside each month.

It will take me about 12 years to have saved enough money to fulfill my dream.

If my luck do as it does sometime, it will kick me from behind and I have to start from scratch.

so what is my dream ?

A world voyage(cruise) on either QM2 eller Victoria.

Markus
mapuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-20, 06:06 PM   #2
Moonlight
Admiral

Downloads: 184

Good for you old boy, although a goal to focus on can have its positives there's always those nasty negatives as well.

Living alone with your cat is one of them, you do realise that two people can live just as cheaply as one don't you, and besides a second salary is a positive that can outweigh the negative of living life like a hermit, so as you can see, you can make a positive out of a negative.

12 years to save enough money for this world cruise dream of yours, have you taken into account that negative word inflation, its not good old boy, not good. It would be much more fun having a fair maiden along for the ride wouldn't it, and besides that she could wash the pots and iron your clothes for you as well, there are more positives to having a good woman around than negatives my little hermit friend.

Good luck to you anyway old boy, its always a positive thing to have a dream.
Old 02-09-20, 08:06 PM   #3
em2nought
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 0

There's always I wouldn't mind an end of life voyage into a hurricane or a trip to a chilly mountaintop someday.

Moonlight
Quote:
there are more positives to having a "good" woman around than negatives my little hermit friend.
Finding a good and thrifty one isn't so easy

Last edited by em2nought; 02-09-20 at 08:09 PM. Reason: W O M A N
em2nought is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-20, 02:50 AM   #4
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

Downloads: 5

We'll encourage you and look forward to seeing your dream come true, Markus. What will you do with the cat if he's still alive in 12 years... smuggle him on board? I can help you with that

PS: when I first looked at this I thought it said "I have a goat"

Last edited by Eichhörnchen; 02-10-20 at 06:41 AM.
Eichhörnchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-20, 11:38 AM   #5
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Best of luck matey but twelve years is a long period of time to stay focused on a single ambition imho.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-20, 12:40 PM   #6
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Thank you for your positive input.

I know very well it will end as it has all the other times, when I was floating away on this dream...coming to the conclusion it will not happen.

It have been years since I had this dream of a world voyage, it came back when I was looking at my second dream a Transatlantic cruise from Hamburg and back.

The only way I can get this, is to take a little detour which will take about 100 days.

When I look at the schedules of this voyage I always look at how many days the ship is at sea.

6 days at sea
9 days at sea.

My cat. If my cat should be alive and if i got enough money I will postpone this dream. My cat comes first.

Edit
There's one thing I can't understand, why shall an English person pay about 4500 English Pund more than I shall.

On Cunard's homepage, a world voyage in a room with balcony cost 24099 English Pund

If I look at the same thing on a Danish homepage, who's Denmark's travel agent for Cunard, it cost app. 19600 English Pund
End Edit

Markus

Last edited by mapuc; 02-10-20 at 01:15 PM.
Old 02-16-20, 03:05 PM   #7
Kapitan
Sub Test Pilot

Downloads: 68
Uploads: 7

Best of luck on your en-devours, i have been fortunate enough to have had (and still do) the capability of travelling around exploring the sites and ticking off my goals.
I had set many goals which i have reached in a timely manner and saved accordingly or been fortunate to integrate them through work.

it took me over 10 years to finally reside in Canada and experience what i am going through now so i fully appreciate your goal and where you want to be, but i will say this.

Make sure you have side projects along the way smaller goals to keep you on track for the big prize the reward if you will, this is how i kept myself focused on achieving my bigger goals (i'm not done yet!)

Always re evaluate your goals and ambitions a decade is a long time to stay focused on one thing but you can do it, just sometimes you may have to detour to get there.

Don't be disheartened either many things change in such a short space of time and your end goal may also change slightly, this is where the side projects come in to give you the sense of achievement and fulfillment.

but i wish you the best of luck in your goal and ambition, no matter what people thing its achievable and reasonable.

Find out about Museum Ships here: https://www.museumships.us/

Flickr for all my pictures: https://www.flickr.com/photos/131313936@N03/

Navy general board articles: https://www.navygeneralboard.com/author/aegis/
Kapitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-20, 03:09 PM   #8
Kapitan
Sub Test Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapuc View Post
Edit
There's one thing I can't understand, why shall an English person pay about 4500 English Pund more than I shall.

On Cunard's homepage, a world voyage in a room with balcony cost 24099 English Pund

If I look at the same thing on a Danish homepage, who's Denmark's travel agent for Cunard, it cost app. 19600 English Pund
End Edit

Markus
This is very likely down to VAT (Value Added Tax) your not in the UK so i would assume your exempt

Old 02-16-20, 05:07 PM   #9
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Thank you for your positive input Kapitan.

I was a little to positive when I wrote 12 years.

A more reasonable timeline is 30 years or more.
Or I had to put aside every single dime I had after all the rest had been payed. Which would mean no delicious cake now and then during a weekend, no rent of a good action movies and so on. And that's is not what I prefer.

So a world cruise will be nothing but a dream.

Not even a Transatlantic cruise will be possible. I can get from Hamburg to New York...but I can't get back and I totally refuse to set my foot on a airplane.
(Tried to find a contact to Cunard, asking them if this ship doesn't sail back to Hamburg)

So I made a search for a more reasonable cruise which I could afford in a couple of years from now(3-5 years saving) and I did find two-in-one

The first part of this cruise, which is with Holland America Line's upcoming new cruise ship Nieuw Statendam

Is a 14 days Cruise from Copenhagen goes via Norway, Iceland, some island belonging to Scotland and Scotland and back to Copenhagen

I can choose to disembark or I can choose to add 15-17 thousand Danish kroner more into the cruise and get additional 10 days and it's via some baltic states, Finland, Russia, Sweden and Germany(second part).

I don't know, If I should save money for the full package (24 days) or just for the first part (14 days)

The first part is also simpel, you don't need Visa only passport(Scotland)

The Second part I need visa(Russia)and of course Passport.

But the saving is on.

Markus
Old 02-16-20, 05:17 PM   #10
Kapitan
Sub Test Pilot

Seek alternatives by all means, but also keep your eyes and ears out for great deals.

Do you remember i went to Chernobyl a few years back? my air fare business class cost me the sum total of 2 pounds simply due to air miles.

I had cheap Scandinavian tour too, i did London to Copenhagen, then the train to malmo onto gothenburg then to Oslo and the ferry back to Copenhagen plane home. flights trains and hotels plus ferry and food less than 500 for the week!

with your dilemma of getting back to Denmark, have you also thought about an unconventional route back via cargo ship? there are companies out there that can get you back on a container ship (i'm not joking) it would be a unique experience also, and likely cheaper.

If your going to Russia PM me and i can get a lot of things moving for you that way, Visa hotels and tours ect through Igor Kurdin and his crew.

Old 02-16-20, 05:22 PM   #11
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

I know about these Cargo-cruise.

Cost less than an ordinary cruise, but do not offer same luxury or comfort.

I have set a goal. I will try to save enough money and take this 14 or 24 days cruise from Copenhagen, right after my 60 years birthday, which is 6 years from now.

Edit
The Russian town this Cruise will visit for duration of two days is Sankt Petersborg.
I was thinking of being in a state of Transit(Meaning I stay on board throughout the visit)
Then I thought I love ice hockey and maybe Sankt Petersborg have a home match in their KHL one of those days we are there
End of Edit

Markus

Last edited by mapuc; 02-16-20 at 05:33 PM.
Old 02-16-20, 05:58 PM   #12
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10

There are also other options that are just as novel and memorable as a world cruise here in the U.S. There is cross country train in a sleeper car. Appalachian hiking trail from Georgia to Maine. Guided or unguided wilderness tours that drop you off in the middle some of the most beautiful breathtaking backcountry known mankind far from civilization. So many things to do and places to see.

You can even use uCrank's house up in the Great White North as a base if operations.

good luck to you I hope you always find the utmost enjoyment in whatever you do.

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.
Rockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-20, 06:18 PM   #13
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Dear friends I have something important to tell you

The worst thing I know is travelling or vacation.

if I'm more than 500 meters from my home I get extremely homesick

Nevertheless- The dream to take a Cruise on a ship is one of my biggest dream. The biggest of them all is this around the world cruise.

Markus
Old 02-17-20, 07:29 AM   #14
Platapus
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlight View Post
you do realise that two people can live just as cheaply as one don't you,

The only two that can live as cheaply as one is a horse and a sparrow.
Old 02-17-20, 07:43 AM   #15
u crank
Old enough to know better

Downloads: 136

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockstar View Post
You can even use uCrank's house up in the Great White North as a base if operations.
Bring yer own beer you hoser.

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”

― Arthur C. Clarke

u crank is online   Reply With Quote