SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-15-20, 10:04 AM   #391
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

All but one of the nine people being treated for the coronavirus in the UK have been discharged from hospital.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-51514628

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-20, 11:12 AM   #392
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10
Uploads: 0

looking at the John Hopkins dashboard I'm seeing several of the confirmed cases have recovered as well

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.
Rockstar is online   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-20, 11:34 AM   #393
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

More and more often one can stumble over silently whispered fears now that there already has been what experts call a "silent outbreak".

And I think it probably is so.

I think chances are greater than 50:50 its already out of control. And they do not want to admit it. International traffic via air and ship hesitated too long.

It also seems that more and more medical staff wearing protective suits nevertheless got infected.
Old 02-15-20, 12:14 PM   #394
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

last time, we let in ebola. Citizens were seriously upset over that and let our government know it. i think that lesson caused our government to close the doors to our borders early on. We dont live in China, in this country I dont believe our media, doctors, or affected families can be kept quiet. If there was a massive outbreak in the U.S. we would already be hearing about how it was Trumps fault.

Yes here is still a chance those 15 confirmed cases in the U.S. could spread. Im just saying if it does we would hear more than a whisper.

we have quietly prepared areas to accept new cases. it will be no secret if they start filling up.

My immediate concern is the Chinese supply chain. Economies are going to get hit hard by its disruption.

Last edited by Rockstar; 02-15-20 at 12:30 PM.
Old 02-15-20, 12:43 PM   #395
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockstar View Post
My immediate concern is the Chinese supply chain. Economies are going to get hit hard by its disruption.
True! In fact the biggest supplier of medical supplies to the USA comes from China and now they are asking for help for their medical supplies.

Someone has to pick up the slack
or achievement

Lord help me get to the next plateau ..

Mr Quatro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-20, 02:41 PM   #396
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot

Downloads: 130

On Crap! My new Body Armour came from China!
Old 02-15-20, 06:30 PM   #397
Traveller
Captain

Downloads: 89

Quote:
If there was a massive outbreak in the U.S. we would already be hearing about how it was Trumps fault.

Yes here is still a chance those 15 confirmed cases in the U.S. could spread. Im just saying if it does we would hear more than a whisper.
There is nothing wrong with trying to be positive, but I really hope you are not being serious. Those 15 confirmed cases from Wuhan now in quarantine are not what you need to be worried about. Thousands of Chinese airline passengers (not to mention Japanese passengers) are still arriving in cities all over the US each day, and the only thing they are testing is for high fever.

Again, they are saying this coronavirus probably has an R0 (infection rate) of 4.7 to 6.6, meaning each infected person transmits it to 4-6 other people. Influenza has an R0 of only 1.2 to 1.6. Also, the incubation period can be up to 24 days, plus the virus can survive on surfaces for up to 10 days.

I can almost guarantee you it is now spreading around the US at this very moment, but serious symptoms have yet to show. Within 14 days, we will probably be seeing more cases in the US- most likely in larger cities like New York or Los Angeles. Same goes for London.
Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-20, 06:50 PM   #398
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveller View Post
I can almost guarantee you it is now spreading around the US at this very moment, but serious symptoms have yet to show. Within 14 days, we will probably be seeing more cases in the US- most likely in larger cities like New York or Los Angeles. Same goes for London.
This flu season for type A and B has already claimed 14,000 lives what happens if this new one gets mixed in with 26 million America's already having experienced the flu.

https://www.voanews.com/science-heal...rus-fears-rise

Quote:
While health officials put plans in place for any possible outbreak of coronavirus, doctors around the United States continue to help patients battle the seasonal flu. The CDC estimates that 26 million Americans have gotten sick with flu this season and around people 14,000 have died.
or achievement

Lord help me get to the next plateau ..

Mr Quatro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-20, 06:54 PM   #399
Traveller
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Quatro View Post
This flu season for type A and B has already claimed 14,000 lives what happens if this new one gets mixed in with 26 million America's already having experienced the flu.

https://www.voanews.com/science-heal...rus-fears-rise
Yes. The seasonal flu usually kills around 10,000-60,000 Americans each year. This coronavirus is 40x deadlier and way more infectious. That is why experts are so worried about it becoming a pandemic. If it does, there will be perhaps be up to 2 to 5 million deaths in the US alone within a year.
Old 02-15-20, 07:02 PM   #400
Traveller
Captain

First case of coronavirus involving Westerdam cruise ship confirmed, and it's a US citizen.
Quote:
The first case of coronavirus involving the Westerdam cruise ship was confirmed by Malaysia on Saturday, after an 83-year-old US citizen tested positive, according to a report from state media Bernama.

Several Asian countries refused to let the Westerdam dock in their ports before being allowed to disembark in Cambodia on Friday. The cruise ship, which had a total of 1,455 guests and 802 crew onboard was not under quarantine, Holland America Line said last week.

All passengers and crew members onboard the cruise ship were allowed to return to their respective countries by the Cambodian government after they successfully passed through health screenings.
https://edition.cnn.com/asia/live-ne...hnk/index.html

So all of the passengers and crew were allowed to return to their respective countries without being properly quarantined and tested. Let's try and spread the virus around the world more quickly, shall we? Brilliant.
Old 02-15-20, 08:28 PM   #401
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/02/02/coro...trictions.html

Serious? Of course I am, flights from china were axed, and other methods of deterring the spread are in place. Of course nothing is fool proof, nothing is. But what I am saying is if it goes as you seem so certain of it going. I would expect no whispers only media, affected families and medical doctors and staff speaking up, something, anything would be reported on the quarantine facilities becoming filled.

so far nothing. we're not china we dont jail doctors, family members and journslists.

Last edited by Rockstar; 02-15-20 at 08:43 PM.
Old 02-15-20, 08:53 PM   #402
Traveller
Captain

Quote:
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/02/02/coro...trictions.html

Serious? Of course I am, flights from china were axed, and other methods of deterring the spread are in place. Of course nothing is fool proof, nothing is. But what I am saying is if it goes as you seem so certain of it going. I would expect no whispers only media, affected families and medical doctors and staff speaking up, something, anything would be reported on the quarantine facilities becoming filled.

so far nothing. we're not china we dont jail doctors, family members and journslists.
Never mind. Before you posted this, I realized that the US had already banned flights from mainland China and removed my previous post which you are referring to.

Last edited by Traveller; 02-15-20 at 09:03 PM.
Old 02-16-20, 12:27 AM   #403
Traveller
Captain

70 more passengers confirmed infected on the Diamond Princess, bringing the total to 356.

https://edition.cnn.com/asia/live-ne...hnk/index.html
Old 02-16-20, 07:13 AM   #404
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

yep and it appears the U.S. government is finally getting around to evacuating most of its citizens from that ship.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/16/asia/...hnk/index.html

Old 02-16-20, 07:31 AM   #405
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-51519055

China has announced a drop in new cases from the coronavirus outbreak for a third consecutive day.

On Sunday, authorities reported 2,009 new cases and 142 more deaths nationwide.

New cases spiked earlier in the week after a change in the way they were counted but have been falling ever since

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
apocalypse, china, coronavirus, covid-19, flu, masks, plague, preppers, virus, vitamine d, wuhan