SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-27-21, 02:11 PM   #6766
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-21, 02:12 PM   #6767
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Old 03-27-21, 04:18 PM   #6768
Gorpet
Still Searching

Downloads: 364
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
Oh there are a few positive traits and history, but even so what does this have to do with me? Do i hold you personally accountable for the invention of the Edison bulb, or for centuries of slavery and indian reservations or Guantanamo?

And i do like most of Elgar's works, having one of the Proms' concerts live CD maybe meanwhile i heard it a bit too often. And I was referring to Rockstar's "greed" post as the arrow indicated
I do not think that greed is good, ambition is.
All the crossroads of Ambition leads to Greed. American Politicians are famous for it.
Gorpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-21, 04:26 PM   #6769
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

^ i do not quite agree, though having become basically cynical (or realistic) myself i understand what you mean.

If someone wants to invent something to make life better, like a vaccine or something, he may have the ambition and drive to do this, and this must not necessarily lead to greed.
If you are a politician.. well i guess it's hard to not become greedy if your ambition brought you far enough, in the rat race.

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-21, 05:25 PM   #6770
Catfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
More 'Russian' propaganda [...]
Indeed. Seldom heard so much nonsense in one video. But look at the comments, they are buying it as if it's the Gospel. Use yellow press bull and add your pinch of propaganda. "Big Pharma"?

Old 03-27-21, 05:32 PM   #6771
Catfish

I guess that's a bit more to the point, the E.U. exports Millions of Covid vaccine doses despite problems.

The bloc has been sparring with allies over supplies of coronavirus shots and was recently accused of vaccine protectionism.
But internal documents show it has exported many doses even amid its own shortages, and rollout failures.

The E.U. has come under fierce criticism for “vaccine nationalism” and protectionism, which intensified last week when Italy blocked a small shipment of doses to Australia, stepping up a tug of war over badly needed shots.

But export numbers, recorded in detailed, closely held documents seen by The New York Times, show that the European Union, far from being protectionist, has in fact been a vaccine exporting powerhouse

The issue of vaccine production and exports has created a bitter fallout between the European Union and Britain, amid accusations that the E.U. wants to deprive the country of vaccine doses out of spite, in part because Britain is doing so much better with its inoculation campaign after leaving the bloc this year.
In fact the export data shows Britain to be the biggest importer of doses produced in the E.U.

The British government vehemently denied the charge. But, practically speaking, Britain is not exporting vaccines authorized for use at home, though it has said it would be prepared to give excess doses to neighboring Ireland — after Britain’s own vaccination efforts were done.

A British government official said that where vaccines produced in the U.K. were distributed was a matter governed by the contracts between the companies and the government.

The bloc was weeks behind the United States and Britain in sealing deals with pharmaceutical firms last year [not so, the published treaties show the EU was a day faster than the UK when it comes to Astra-Zeneca]
and has been criticized for acting too slowly.
But it did secure a broad portfolio of vaccines on favorable terms on behalf of its members that granted the countries relatively quick access to immunization that most could not have dreamed of had they been acting alone.

Of the 34 million vaccine doses made in E.U.-based facilities that were exported between Feb. 1 and March 9, more than nine million doses went to Britain, according to the internal documents.

The second-largest recipient of E.U.-made vaccines was Canada, which received nearly four million doses last month, while the third-largest was Mexico, receiving 3.1 million vaccine doses.

The E.U. also shipped 954,000 vaccines to the United States since the start of February. The second-largest recipient of E.U.-made vaccines was Canada, which received nearly four million doses last month, while the third-largest was Mexico, receiving 3.1 million vaccine doses.

Experts say that the European Union has been smart not to curb exports to favor its own population, even if that message isn’t popular in the short-term with its citizens.

(shorted from Washington Post, and New York Times)

Easy for 'Boris' to boast how "well" it all goes (after 150,000 dead) when he got millions of doses of the german Biontec vaccine first, then hoards vaccine and cheats with Astra-Zeneca without giving it to Ireland, Scotland or other countries. Reading the twisted and lying in tabloids like the Sun or Express UK make not only me vomit!
Well done indeed. The world saw this and we will see how this fares in the long run.

Last edited by Catfish; 03-27-21 at 05:45 PM.
Old 03-28-21, 05:59 AM   #6772
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

The UK has reported 58 coronavirus deaths and 4,715 cases in the latest 24-hour period.

The number of deaths marks a fall from last Saturday, 20 March, when 96 were recorded. Cases have also fallen week-on-week, down from 5,587 reported last Saturday.

First vaccine doses administered across the UK are edging closer to 30 million with figure now standing at 29,727,435, with some 3,293,517 people having also had a second vaccine dose.

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-...eriod-12258248

Old 03-28-21, 10:20 AM   #6773
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Old 03-28-21, 02:04 PM   #6774
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Old 03-28-21, 07:16 PM   #6775
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10

Funny, Germany can't get their own citizens vaccinated. Yet who does Taiwan ask for help in obtaining vaccines? Made me wonder is this where Germany's /E.U. vaccines are going?

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/taiw...091522962.html

I guess if Germans want to get vaccinated they need to have something their own government wants.

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news...covax-14112588

Taiwan has sought Germany's help in securing COVID-19 vaccines, Economy Minister Wang Mei-hua said last week, after Berlin asked for the island's assistance in easing a shortage of automobile semiconductor chips.

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.

Last edited by Rockstar; 03-28-21 at 08:59 PM.
Rockstar is online   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-21, 02:02 AM   #6776
Catfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockstar View Post
Funny, Germany can't get their own citizens vaccinated. Yet who does Taiwan ask for help in obtaining vaccines? Made me wonder is this where Germany's /E.U. vaccines are going? ... [...]

E.g. to the UK, Canada, the US, Mexico, and others.
The 27 members of the EU decided to tackle the pandemic as a global threat and to more or less evenly distribute the vaccines at least in the western bloc.

https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...postcount=6771

Last edited by Catfish; 03-29-21 at 03:10 AM.
Old 03-29-21, 03:36 AM   #6777
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

What counts is not the claimed intention. What counts is the acchieved effect (that was forseeable).
When poloiticians fail on small scale, they also fail on bigger scale - and then far more serious conse quences. Thats why i refuse to accept bigger playgrounds for them.
Old 03-29-21, 06:15 AM   #6778
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Two households or groups of up to six people are now able to meet outside in England as the stay-at-home Covid restrictions order ends.

Outdoor sport facilities including tennis courts and golf courses are also reopening and organised outdoor sports can resume.

Weddings can take place again but only with six people attending.

Boris Johnson urges caution, saying cases are up in Europe and variants threaten the vaccine rollout.

The message on this day of lockdown easing is: "It's all outdoors," says UK minister Nigel Huddleston, adding people need to be "sensible"

A single dose of the Pfizer and AstraZeneca vaccines was effective at stopping 62% of coronavirus infections in care homes, a study finds.

More than 30 million people in the UK have been vaccinated and more than 3.5 million adults have had their second dose.

Mexico publishes revised figures showing the number of deaths caused by coronavirus is 60% higher than previously reported.

Old 03-29-21, 06:22 AM   #6779
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Chancellor Angela Merkel has urged German regions to stick to lockdown measures agreed with her government. Areas with more than 100 new infections per 100,000 people are supposed to impose curfews. But a strict five-day lockdown over Easter, which Merkel wanted, will not now happen. The national rate is now 134 per 100,000 people.

The eastern city of Weimar is launching a three-day trial project aimed at unlocking the economy, with the help of increased testing. Shops and museums will be open for anyone who has tested negative in the past 48 hours. Saarland and the cities of Rostock and Tübingen are also easing Covid rules, defying the federal government.

Serbia has been inoculating citizens of neighbouring countries, amid a surplus of vaccines and a reluctance among many Serbs to be injected.
Queues were reported on the borders with North Macedonia and Bosnia, and migrants also got the jab at a camp near Belgrade.

In France, the number of Covid patients in intensive care has risen to 4,872, close to a November peak, though last April the figure was about 7,000. Paris doctors have warned they may soon have to choose between emergency patients, as bed space runs out. Paris and 18 other regions are under partial lockdown.
In those 19 French regions any school class with one pupil testing positive will close immediately, whereas the threshold before today was three positive tests.
French Education Minister Jean-Michel Blanquer has been accused of frivolity for tweeting a video clip entitled Another Window on Zoom, inspired by the 1979 Pink Floyd hit Another Brick in the Wall.

Portugal’s government says it is extending the suspension of commercial and private flights to the UK as well as Brazil to 15 April.

Old 03-30-21, 07:04 AM   #6780
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Tags
apocalypse, china, coronavirus, covid-19, flu, masks, plague, preppers, virus, vitamine d, wuhan