SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-04-10, 02:53 AM   #346
GerritJ9
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 47
Uploads: 6

If I'm not mistaken, the obsolete "C" class subs were used for the RN's trawler/sub project.

My SH3/SH4 mods: http://www.gamefront.com/files/user/GerritJ9
GerritJ9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-10, 03:36 AM   #347
Reece
CINC Pacific Fleet

Downloads: 171
Uploads: 0

Interesting segment, can someone tell me the name of this movie:

Sub captains go down with their ship!
Reece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-10, 09:53 AM   #348
Deamon
Commodore

Downloads: 5

"Lusitania- Murder On The Atlantic"

And while you are at it also don't miss "Britannic"
Deamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-10, 12:06 PM   #349
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 297

"Murder on the Atlantic" is actually the new background video for the SH4 interface, which I already released. Here's the interface mod, if you want to see it:

http://www.filefront.com/15552405/Wo...iser-Intro.7z/

Simply enable with JSGME, and uninstall when you get tired of it!

And thank you, JGerrit, for telling me what type of Brit sub to use.

By the way, the Merchant Fleet Mod has finally been released, so more efforts will be directed towards WOTK. At the moment, I am doing some in-depth reading on early German subs and Brit Armored Cruisers - Really want to play out the "Aboukir", "Cressy", and "Hogue" battle one of these days!
iambecomelife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-10, 08:14 PM   #350
Reece
CINC Pacific Fleet

Thanks guys, going to see if I can buy a DVD!

Old 06-12-10, 10:52 PM   #351
Reece
CINC Pacific Fleet

Quote:
Originally Posted by iambecomelife View Post
At the moment, I am doing some in-depth reading on early German subs and Brit Armored Cruisers - Really want to play out the "Aboukir", "Cressy", and "Hogue" battle one of these days!
A very good book I recommend "From U-Boat to Pulpit" by Martin Niemoller, has some good battles, served on U3, Navigator U73, U39, first officer on U151, UC67 (later commanded). Also another insight is found in the book "Pastor Niemoller" by Dietmar Schmidt. Very good reading even you aren't a Christian and disregard that aspect.

Old 06-12-10, 11:32 PM   #352
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reece View Post
A very good book I recommend "From U-Boat to Pulpit" by Martin Niemoller, has some good battles, served on U3, Navigator U73, U39, first officer on U151, UC67 (later commanded). Also another insight is found in the book "Pastor Niemoller" by Dietmar Schmidt. Very good reading even you aren't a Christian and disregard that aspect.

Thanks for the tip.

Random question for the week: Does anyone know the gun distribution for light cruiser "HMS Pathfinder" after her last refit? The profile drawing in Conway's Fighting Ships and my internet sources only seem to show her some years before her sinking, when she didn't have 9 4" guns.

I really wish that Osprey would create more books on WWI ships, like cruisers & DD's - their materials on the Brit & German Battlecruisers have been most helpful. Too bad smaller WWI combatants aren't a popular research topic.

Thanks.
Old 06-13-10, 12:04 AM   #353
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Random question for the week: Does anyone know the gun distribution for light cruiser "HMS Pathfinder" after her last refit? The profile drawing in Conway's Fighting Ships and my internet sources only seem to show her some years before her sinking, when she didn't have 9 4" guns.
I'm not sure exactly what you mean by your last comment. Do you need the distribution for when she did have nine guns, or for when she didn't.

The only sources I know of are Jane's and Conway. I have an overhead drawing I made for my tabletop game, but I never got as far as upgrades or downgrades. what I have is all nine 4" guns. If that's the wrong one, sorry. If not, I'll be glad to send it to you.
Old 06-13-10, 12:19 AM   #354
Reece
CINC Pacific Fleet

Yes there is definitely info in "Jane's Fighting Ships of World War One (1919), Jane's Publishing Company" as Steve suggests, I am still searching, so far all I got is:

Did you see here, quite a few pictures: http://www.battleships-cruisers.co.u...S%20Pathfinder
Interesting: http://www.wrecksite.eu/doc/wrecks/t...pathfinder.pdf

Last edited by Reece; 06-13-10 at 08:21 PM.
Old 06-13-10, 01:26 AM   #355
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Thanks for the pictures. It's a bit hard for me to estimate the size of the guns based on the pictures, especially around her midships area which was cluttered.

I saw that line drawing earlier and I think it's her original configuration, when she had a mixed armament of 12 12-pdrs (shown in the drawing) and 6 3pdrs (not shown).

I love the bigger pictures , Reece - it's interesting to see she had ventilators (which were probably removed right before the war b/c of splinter hazard). She changed quite a bit in appearance.

Anyway, thanks for the help - I wasn't even expecting a response! And Steve, thanks for the offer - you can send me the pic or just describe the layout.

EDIT: I just read the report - very interesting, and it happens to prove she still had 6 pdrs on board at the time of her loss.

Last edited by iambecomelife; 06-13-10 at 12:24 PM.
Old 06-21-10, 11:35 PM   #356
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Well, after much travail I have a model of U-66 almost ready, except for rigging, masts, and some other details. These were a class of boats designed for Austria that ended up being taken over by the Kaiserliche Marine. They were roughly similar to the Type VII in terms of armament and speed, so I imagine they will be popular with players who are used to a WWII setting.

It is a triangulated OBJ file, so I don't anticipate any problems with S3ditor importation. I will see if I can start skinning it tomorrow. My fingers are crossed - I worked hard to make the model amenable to detailed skins!

I've been thinking about placing a static crewmember in the steering position on the conning tower, complete with a trigger that will make him invisible when the sub is submerged - let me know if you have any strong feelings either way about this.
Old 06-22-10, 01:04 AM   #357
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

These are the pictures I made years ago for my WWI tabletop miniatures game. I used Jane's and Conway, plus some other sources I found at libraries and would have to dig my notes out of storage to remember what they were.

On the right is Pathfinder as I drew her with the nine 4" guns. On the left is my picture of the 'Gem' (Amethyst) class, which mounted 12 4"/40s. It looks an awful lot like the layout of the 'P' class in the drawing found by Reece. It has me wondering if someone somewhere didn't make a mistake back in the day. Sometimes over the years I have hated the dearth of positive information available.

[edit] On the other hand this photo

is clearly Pathfinder's layout, and shows the gun on the bow. Sources say this class had 9 guns, but the contemporary drawing clearly has 12. I did update pages on the ships I worked on, and have three different models for Dreadnought, but I never got past the 'As Launched' stage for these early cruisers.

Last edited by Sailor Steve; 06-22-10 at 01:31 AM.
Sailor Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-10, 01:39 AM   #358
Reece
CINC Pacific Fleet

Quote:
I've been thinking about placing a static crewmember in the steering position on the conning tower, complete with a trigger that will make him invisible when the sub is submerged - let me know if you have any strong feelings either way about this.
That is a hard one without seeing it, seems like a lot of work, maybe it can be left till after the release, would have a better idea then. Certainly not a game breaker IMO.

Old 07-07-10, 09:44 PM   #359
Reece
CINC Pacific Fleet

Any progress on this IABL? not pushing just very interested!

Old 07-08-10, 02:16 PM   #360
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Yes! I finally got the hull model for a WWI sub in-game (for the Silent Hunter 3 version). Now that I have SH4 reinstalled I hope to import it into that game as well. The game CTD's after I map the textures, but I am sure this can be solved. For now, pictures of the U-66 model (still WIP):