SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Modern-Era Subsims > Dangerous Waters > DW Mod Workshop > DW Mission Designers' Forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-20-05, 01:10 PM   #1
Fish
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Radio msg.

I want a radio msg to be send at a random time.
I set time for :
Start time: 00:04:05
End time : 00:04:30
So the msg would be send somewhere between 05 and 30 minutes in game.
But...every time I start the game the msg is send at 05 minutes ingame.
Some one of you used this and know what I do wrong?
Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-05, 05:53 PM   #2
zma
Seaman

Downloads: 4

I'm afraid it doesn't work that way. Start and end times are only used to limit the time when the trigger can be completed. If you haven't provided any additional criteria for the trigger, it will activate at the earliest possible time.

I can't think of an elegant solution to this one. However, this could work: make a dynamic group of neutral vessels, and attach destination triggers to each. Specify a different start time for each destination trigger, and make the destination radius so big that the trigger will activate no matter where the attached vessel is in the map. Finally, specify that one (and only one) of the vessels in the dynamic group is created. Now you could use the destination triggers to send a radio message, and the message would be sent at some specified, random start time. Bonus: if you use a script for actually sending the message, you don't have to write the msg to each of the triggers.

I haven't tested this, but I think it could work. By the way, in case you are wondering, the triggers in a dynamic group have to be attached to a vessel, because "standalone" triggers, even in a dynamic group, would always be created.
zma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-05, 08:02 PM   #3
Molon Labe
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 27
Uploads: 5

I'm pretty sure triggers are objects that can be included in dynamic groups. You might be able to do what you want by creating a master group with several subordinate groups inside it, each of the subgroups having set to a certain probability of inclusion and containing a trigger set to fire at a specific time. The game would choose which groups--and triggers--to generate at the start of the mission.
Molon Labe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-05, 04:42 AM   #4
Miika
A-ganger

Downloads: 21

My suggestion: Put one neutral ship far away from the action. (So that it won't be accidentally hit by a missile etc.) 100% probability, but random start box. Then create for instance a destination goal that responses to this neutral ship, and after triggering make the goal to send the message.

By setting a default speed of for instance 5kts, and making the random box extremely thin you can easily determine the precise time window.

I've used this in my Future Fleet scenarios and it works.

One note, though: It seems that if you create the ship (or any other unit) as a result of another trigger, the other triggers won't react to this created unit. Anyone else has the same problem? Does somebody understand what I'm talking about?

(For instance you can make a "life-raft" appear next to a ship after it has been sunk, but you can't make a trigger to react to it afterwards, to accomplish a succesful rescue. If I recall right, SC editor had the same limitation. If somebody knows an answer to this problem, please tell me.)
Old 10-21-05, 06:02 AM   #5
Fish
Eternal Patrol

Thanks guys, I made a work around with "timesincetriggerfired", but I think Miika's solution is word to be work out.
Nice finding, as you can ran around in circles sometimes.
Old 10-21-05, 06:04 AM   #6
Fish
Eternal Patrol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molon Labe
I'm pretty sure triggers are objects that can be included in dynamic groups. You might be able to do what you want by creating a master group with several subordinate groups inside it, each of the subgroups having set to a certain probability of inclusion and containing a trigger set to fire at a specific time. The game would choose which groups--and triggers--to generate at the start of the mission.
Thanks ML, I was aware of that possibility, but Miika's solution is easyer to do.
Old 10-21-05, 06:10 AM   #7
FERdeBOER
XO

Downloads: 22
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miika
One note, though: It seems that if you create the ship (or any other unit) as a result of another trigger, the other triggers won't react to this created unit. Anyone else has the same problem? Does somebody understand what I'm talking about?
You have to include the new trigger for the new ship in the same dinamic group.

i.e: you create the d. group with the life-raft when the ship is sunk. You have to put the aproach goal (if is that what you whant to be the goal) in the same gruop, so you should have to put 2 objets in the group: the raft and the trigger.

I've done so in the campaing I'm actually creating for "semidynamic" campaign (if you sink that sub the next mission orders will be those, if you didn't detect the sub the mission is that..) and it works.

Also works for creating goals (critical or not) in the middle of a mission.

Hope I,ve explained well.
Old 10-21-05, 08:59 AM   #8
Miika
A-ganger

Downloads: 21

Gracias, amigo, I new there had to be a way. Now this really helps with some scenarios I'm planning.