SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-17-21, 12:42 PM   #151
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

I had to replace my kitchen oven, the big installed one, last year. The new comes with an oven that has strict electricty limitation, and I find unfortunately that it just doe snot get hot enough anymore. The old oven brought a pizza stone placed on the lowest rost to up tp 290°C, whcih was resptcable and srved my pizza needs sufficiently. But the new one only reaches around 230°C, and 20° more only with ventilator, this time and again has givne me pizzas with white rims and not sufficient crust at the top and bottom.

I thus have ordered, hesitently, a special small pizza oven. With hesitation, because I read that for not too few people the heating bars have molten or the device was manfuacture din china and badly so, kicking the safeties for the electric circuits of the flat/house out. I found one that seems to get build in Bavaria. The thing, they say, gets up to 430°C. In 6 minutes times of pre-heating time. It consumes 1200 Watts, which is a fraction of what an installed kitchen oven takes - and I needed to pre-heat these for an hour or so, at full speed. Imagine the bill. This is Germany, nowhere in the West electricity is so costly than here.

The stone plate can be lifted and taken out, there is a second heating element in the bottom, too. Comapny is Mayer Barbecue. The basic design of these ovens can be fond under many different, Asien and Italian labels. With the Italians letting produce in china as well.

Next week I will find out, with the new flour well. Today's pizza was so-la-la, too much water everywhere, and the dough was a desaster, and the lacking heat left the dough white as snow:

No, the taste did not keep what the looks promised. The black stuff is - half a kilogram (!!) of fresh spinacci, separately prepared in a pan. It shrunk and shrunk and shrunk and so I decided to eat it before it would completely disappear. No crust. No brown crispy edges. A desaster pizza. I love good pizza. I hate bad pizza. This one was lousy.

Yes. Sometimes even Skybird messes up his pizza. I went into the garden and chopped off the flag. Maybe I just should have lowered it, but I was in the mood for something more radical.

Last edited by Skybird; 06-17-21 at 07:03 PM.
Skybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-21, 01:07 PM   #152
Skybird
Soaring

Na da issa ja! The little red one, thats myw new girl...

Second place, okay. But by the way the film presneted the timing, I have the suspicion that they did not properly pre-heated the stone plate. Customer reviews and photos show me that the dough gets ver crispy and brown at the bottom. If you pre-heat it up properly.

Last edited by Skybird; 06-17-21 at 01:25 PM.
Old 06-17-21, 01:16 PM   #153
Skybird
Soaring

Expert tip in that video! Canned tomatoes. The lids have dates stamped in and another three-digit number. The date is the expiration date (which is for legal reasons only, chemically a sealed can can live for years and decades). But i already said it earlier, too: canned tomatoes by a good brand are better than fresh tomatoes during the cold season. He said the number, three digits, refers to the day in the year when the tomatoes were canned in. You want that number to be between 190 and 250, (190th-250th day of the year), because that means that summer-harvested best tomatoes from the best warm season got canned. If you then use a good Italian brand with San Marzano tomatoes, then you have made the best choice possible with the best arome and taste.

He also prefers canned tomatoes, like I do. He's my hero - not. Some other things he talked were rubbish.

Last edited by Skybird; 06-17-21 at 01:38 PM.
Old 06-17-21, 06:24 PM   #154
d@rk51d3
Sea Lord

Downloads: 193

Not a fan of Pizza, but built this for the wife about a year ago......

Hand mixed and poured a slab, then built up some block walls

Square steel tube for a base

Hand mixed and poured a percrete base.

Levelled with a bit of sand, then laid down some firebrick, then work on the dome.

Slowly, slowly.

Nealy there.

Tie in the hearth.

Render the dome with fire-clay.

Cover dome with ceramic blanket, and tie down with wire mesh.

Final dome render, add flue

Folded up a bit of treadplade for a door, and time to "burn in" and do a test run.

I suppose it's good for ribs though.

Last edited by d@rk51d3; 06-17-21 at 07:09 PM.
d@rk51d3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-21, 06:59 PM   #155
Skybird
Soaring

^ "HAVING I WANT...!"

Pro built of that oven. You obviously are a pro in that?!

If I had the room on a terrace, I could not build that, like you did. Or I could, but would regret it because it would look awful, and non-symmetric .

But I would find a nice seat for an Ooni Koda 16, running on gas, up to 500°C.

Or that ^ oven but in the version for wood pellets.

Dreams...

Last edited by Skybird; 06-17-21 at 07:11 PM.
Old 06-17-21, 07:05 PM   #156
d@rk51d3
Sea Lord

Nope.
First try, after plenty of YouTube, planning and a some extra helping hands from my elderly father.

Just got lucky.
Old 06-18-21, 06:41 AM   #157
Skybird
Soaring

"I give you 15 Euros if you just go away." :LOL

"Pizza? Cookie? Dogfood? I dont know." :LOL
Old 06-18-21, 11:27 AM   #158
Skybird
Soaring

I am waiting... waiting... waiting... waiting... and then I watch a video like this and the waiting becomes even longer...

Its a slightly different device than the one I ordered, but in principle should be the same. Its in German, but has some good tips for using these kind of ovens, to optimise results and work around their inherent design weaknesses. Biggest tip for me: make the pizza smaller in diameter so that the rims from the sides get more heat.

The whole channel is brilliant, if you understand German. A lot to say about flours and hydration, for example, it makes so much a difference.

I cant wait, I cant wait... I'm hungry now...
Old 06-18-21, 03:36 PM   #159
d@rk51d3
Sea Lord

The Ferrari was the machine we used to cook with. It does the job quite well.

And correct. A good strong flour makes all the difference.
Old 06-18-21, 03:49 PM   #160
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

I remembered what Skybird wrote as an answer to my comment especially not to use a rolling pin.
Since it wasn't really a video in this thread showing how a perfect pizza dough is made I search for it and in the two videos I saw(Danish) they used a rolling pin.

Now in the Ferrari pizza maker clip showed how a pizza is made-without using rolling pin.

In the video ^^ You could see that one of his pizza was burnt on the bottom
Same happened to my first semimade pizza as mentioned before.

Markus

My little lovely female cat
mapuc is online   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-21, 04:18 PM   #161
Skybird
Soaring

Markus, I know that not few Danes understand German, a bitk somehow. How about you? If you do, check this channel, the guy really knows it well, much of what he says I can confirm by own experience (he knows more than me, however). The channel ios completely about the art to make pizza Napoli. They only have tow pizza there, Margherita and Marinara, which is even more spartane: it has practically no topping, just tomatoe, oregano and olive oil...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2i...MapINGsFmSw_BA

If you do not understand German, nevertheless learn by the looks:

Here he is about how much water to use.

From around 8th minute on, you cna see how different the dough looks, form left to right: 50, 60, 70 and 80% hydrofication.

With the red Caputo flour "Cuoco" (general cooking flour), I woludl, like him, recommend to use 60-65%, maybe even 70%. You need one day time for the dough, however, its a slower moving flour. If you use the blue-packed "Pizzeria" or "Classica", you want less water, say 60%, not more (and not less, 50 or 55% imo always is too little).

Here you can see how to pull the dough. For this, the dough better is not hard and rubber-like,, but then it shpoudl also not be too soft which means it would easily rip. Thus, hydrofication depending on the flour is so important.

He explains the differences between the Caputo flours:

He explains the time the dough can work, 1, 2 or 3 days. With the blu flours you also can reduce that to lets say 10 hours, but oyu want to staret the dough in the morning, before your breakfast, to have it ready in the late afternoon or early evening.

How to get it on the "spade".

Last edited by Skybird; 06-18-21 at 04:44 PM.
Old 06-18-21, 04:40 PM   #162
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Saw the first video and I have no problems understanding German-There are some words I may not understand, but put in a sentence I do understand I somehow understand the meaning of this word.

Know I now what you meant by using my hand when rolling out my pizza dough.
You could clearly see the different by doing it by hand and using a rolling pin

I bought a special flour day before yesterday-It's called Pizza flour-has high content of gluten and other things which makes it perfect to make pizza dough or Italian bread.

I have dried yeast, now I only need olive oil, Oregano and basilica then I'm good to start practicing on making a decent pizza dough(round and right size)

Markus

Old 06-18-21, 04:47 PM   #163
Skybird
Soaring

Markus, I know that not just few Danes understand German, a bit, somehow. How about you? If you do, check this channel, the guy really knows it well, much of what he says I can confirm by own experience (he knows more than me, however). The channel is completely about the art to make pizza Napoli. They only have two pizzas there, Margherita and Marinara, which is even more spartan: it has practically no topping, just tomatoe, oregano and olive oil...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2i...MapINGsFmSw_BA

If you do not understand German, nevertheless learn by the looks:

Here he is about how much water to use.

From around 8th minute on, you can see how different the dough looks, from left to right: 50, 60, 70 and 80% hydrofication.

With the red Caputo flour "Cuoco" (general cooking flour), I would, like him, recommend to use 60-65%, maybe even 70%. You need one day time for the dough, however, its a slower moving flour. If you use the blue-packed "Pizzeria" or "Classica", you want less water, say 60%, not more (and not less, 50 or 55% imo always is too little).

Here you can see how to pull the dough. For this, the dough better is not hard and rubber-like, but then it should also not be too soft which means it would easily rip. Thus, hydration depending on the flour is so important. The protein content varies, and with water its the protein forming the glutein structure which later decides how easily or difficult the dough rips, spreads, becomes fluffy or flat.

He explains the differences between the Caputo flours:

He explains the time the dough can work, 1, 2 or 3 days. With the blu flours you also can reduce that to lets say 10 hours, but you want to staret the dough in the morning, before your breakfast, to have it ready in the late afternoon or early evening.

How to get it on the "spade".
Old 06-18-21, 05:30 PM   #164
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Thank you for these video clips.

Especially the last on using a schieber of different kind. It's all about technic and use of flour. So now I know why my premade pizza dough war klebrig zu die metall schieber

Even the video about 24-48 and 72 hours thing was interesting. That a pizza tasted so different between 24 and 72 hours.

Markus

Old 06-18-21, 05:38 PM   #165
d@rk51d3
Sea Lord

For something a little different..............

Substitute the tomato sauce with butter and brown sugar.
top with sliced banana, then pop into the oven.

When cooked, add chopped marshmallows and small blobs of nutella, or grated chocolate over the top, then back in the oven for another minute to melt the chocolate and toast the marshmallows........... careful not to overdo it and burn it into a charred mess.

Has been a big hit for years as a dessert pizza at our house.