SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-03-16, 07:06 PM   #1
Mallet
Swabbie

Downloads: 25
Uploads: 0
Default Manual Targeting in TMO different from stock game?

Hello, I am very new to this mod and more accurately, manual targeting. In the stock game I have for the most part figured out the manual targeting and how to do it. However in TMO, I am having problems where I can reload the same situation several times and follow the same steps to find a solution but miss or barely hit (tip of bow or stern) the enemy ship each separate instance. To cut things short, I just don't know how the targeting changed in this mod. I also no longer really know how to figure out AOB without the ship shapes on the map. Sorry for long first post. I really want to get into this game as much as many of you have and hope to be a regular here.
Mallet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-16, 09:22 PM   #2
jldjs
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

There is probably an assist you can follow in the sticky posts. But, briefly, a few suggestions. You don't need the ship's shape to determine AoB, but you do need the target's track, or path of travel. More importantly you need the target's speed. You can determine this in numerous ways, but a simple way is to plot its position twice, at 3 minute interval. This way also gives you its track. Distance travel over 3 minutes yields speed in knots. With the track, use the compass to determine AoB as the angle between drawing the line from your position to the target's position extended thru its track. Now enter the speed first in the TDC, then AoB, and finally distance and bearing to target's position. Turn on the Position Keeper and you have a firing solution. Look for a more complete answer in the stickies.
Enjoy the results, I do! Good luck!
Old 09-04-16, 02:36 AM   #3
Gibus
Ensign

Downloads: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mallet View Post
In the stock game I have for the most part figured out the manual targeting and how to do it.
Bonjour,

If you understand this with the stock game, apply it with TMO.
TMO has no impact on manual targeting.

"Pacific is a big ocean. You don't have to find the enemy if you don't want to."
Dick O'Kane
Gibus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-16, 04:51 AM   #4
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123

A Warm Welcome Back To The Subsim Community > Mallet
Subsim <> How To Donate <> See The Benefits <> Support The Community
Post #7 Formula For Imperial Speed Calculating.
THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-16, 03:11 PM   #5
Mallet
Swabbie

Thank you for all the responses! I read through the imperial speed calculation intruction but it asks for the ship length. How do i find ship length? My recognition manual doesnt provide this.
Old 09-05-16, 04:01 PM   #6
razark
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 393
Uploads: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mallet View Post
I read through the imperial speed calculation intruction but it asks for the ship length. How do i find ship length? My recognition manual doesnt provide this.
Ship length? Bah!

Plot the target position on the map. Wait three minutes. Plot the target's new position on the map. Measure the distance in yards, divide by 100.
You now have the target speed in knots, without knowing the length.

By plotting it out on the map, you also figure his course, bearing, AoB, range, etc. A good plot is key to the targeting problem.
Old 09-05-16, 04:44 PM   #7
Mallet
Swabbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by razark View Post
Ship length? Bah!

Plot the target position on the map. Wait three minutes. Plot the target's new position on the map. Measure the distance in yards, divide by 100.
You now have the target speed in knots, without knowing the length.

By plotting it out on the map, you also figure his course, bearing, AoB, range, etc. A good plot is key to the targeting problem.
Wow, thats excellent! Thank you so much for the help! I hope I can get to the point where I can do these crazy calculations in my head as well as the sonar methods and such! What a helpful community.
Old 09-07-16, 11:48 PM   #8
Gibus
Ensign

Downloads: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by razark View Post
Plot the target position on the map.
Bonjour,

This only works with the targets on the map.
Otherwise you must use the device superimposed images from the periscope.

"Pacific is a big ocean. You don't have to find the enemy if you don't want to."
Dick O'Kane
Gibus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-16, 12:26 AM   #9
razark
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 393
Uploads: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibus View Post
This only works with the targets on the map.
Otherwise you must use the device superimposed images from the periscope.
I'm not sure I'm following exactly what you're saying, but if I am getting the message correctly:
You don't need the targets displayed on the map. If you get the range and bearing (by periscope, sonar, or radar), you can plot the target yourself.

Of course, it does become much more complicated to do this method with map contacts off. I'm still willing to pay the full price I paid for the game just for the ability to lock a target, get the range, hit the button, and have the position plotted on the map automatically. (Or at least have the PK marker on the map screen.)
Old 09-05-16, 03:48 PM   #10
jldjs
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

See the sticky SH2<>tutorial<>How to do it on manual targeting. There are methods described that don't use target ship's length.

Tags
aob, missing, targeting, tdc, tmo