Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Classic Subsims
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-22-06, 08:36 AM   #31
Bertgang
Sparky

Downloads: 1
Uploads: 0

Ok for a DC 2, but with a little doubt.

On my point of wiew, online simulations aren't the top to recreate the taste of the WWII anti sub warfare; the main limit, until now, is that lone subs or wolfpacks have to try the attack during a time limit when their opponents are fully vigilant; what kind of sneack attack could be possible, when you need a meeting with your enemy?

Surface or ground combats are more realistic, under this side.
Bertgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-06, 08:56 AM   #32
Floater
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bertgang
On my point of wiew, online simulations aren't the top to recreate the taste of the WWII anti sub warfare; the main limit, until now, is that lone subs or wolfpacks have to try the attack during a time limit when their opponents are fully vigilant; what kind of sneack attack could be possible, when you need a meeting with your enemy?
That's a very good point. When I've played SH2/DC in multiplayer, the main problem I had was that the DD knew there was a SS out there, and also knew exactly how many there were.

Doesn't stop it being great fun, though.
Floater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-06, 05:16 PM   #33
Albrecht Von Hesse
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Just got my copy of DC yesterday. I've been playing SHIII for about 6 months now, and it's a bit of a graphics-backwards step, a bit more than I expected, but nothing terribly disheartening about it. Just takes a bit of getting used to. :p

I've played with it enough to know I'd shell out quite a bit for DC2, if it was anything like SHIII.

Couple of quick questions:

1) Is there anything resembling a wiki entry on this, or online players documentation listing bugs, mods, etc.?

2) Is there any way of changing a file so that my up and down arrow keys move the visuals up and down, rather than the bass-akwards way it does now?

3) Are there any sites or forums or clubs devoted mostly to DC?

Thanks for listening!
Old 11-05-06, 04:03 AM   #34
Heer Kapitain
Sailor man

Will there ever be a DC 2 on the market and will it be compatable with SH II, III & IV?
Heer Kapitain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-09, 11:30 PM   #35
Deamon
Commodore

Downloads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBDR View Post
I would love to see a DC2 with so many mods it really should be called DC20! Here is a very short (and by no means complete) list of some of the mods I would like to see:

* Realistic "round Earth" visibility beyond the current approx 12,000 yard limit
*Ability to order speed to the nearest .25 knot
*Enhanced real world wind, weather and current effects
*Enhanced ship dynamic response modeling
*A gunnery model that uses air resistance, projectile spin effects, muzzle velocity variation, etc.
*Realistic modeling of the differences in fire control directors, range finders, radars and computers (i.e., from the Mk I Mod 0 eyeball "That looks about right" method up through a Mk 13 Radar / Mk 38 Director / Mk 8 Rangekeeper / Mk 41 Stable Vertical combination)
*Multiple directors for ships that have them
*Incorporation of ship stability effects (have you ever seen your damaged ship list?)
*A realistic engineering plant
*An open system similar to MS Flight Simulator that easily allows third party add ons for ships, aircraft, scenery, navigation aids, etc.

Yes, I know this is a wish list, but none of it is too hard to do. Ubisoft, are you listening?
If this is what you like then IUF is for you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBDR View Post
Horsa,

Here are my thoughts regarding what should be modeled for the ship's engineering plant.

* A realistic grouping of boilers by the compartment they are located in. For example, on a Fletcher class DD boilers 1A & 1B will be in the forward fireroom and boilers 2A & 2B will be in the aft fireroom.
* Incorporation of the correct number of cross connects between boiler groupings. On a destroyer there is usually only one cross connect between the forward and aft groups; on a capital ship there may be multiple cross connects.
* Realistic light off times for boilers, and the boiler supplies no propulsion power until it is actually on-line.
* The power required to propel the vessel is proportional to the cube of its speed, and conversely, the maximum speed available is proportional to the cube root of power available. For a four boiler ship, having one boiler on-line means the maximum speed available is about 60% of maximum speed; two boilers will get about 80% of maximum speed; three boilers will get about 90% of maximum speed and the fourth boiler is needed to attain maximum speed.
*Fuel consumption is proportional to power produced (reasonably true for most steam plants), modified somewhat by the plant line up. I ran some tests awhile back regarding the Fletcher's simulated endurance and it was way off.
* A bit more trealistic modelling of the numerous fuel tanks and their effect on the ship's stability, list and trim. On a capital ship it would be interesting for the player to counterflood to offset the results of a torpedo hit.
* For the real masochists: Since DC allows the player the man an AA gun, why not allow the player to operate a boiler (i.e., control fuel, air and water input to the boiler; produce steam at the correct pressure and superheater outlet temperature) or the main engine throttle (maintain ordered RPM without dragging the boiler off-line)?
Excellent list!

Most of what you mention here is already implemented in my early IUF prototype. Check this out:

http://www.dreadnoughtproject.org/he...reenshot_1.png
http://www.dreadnoughtproject.org/he...reenshot_2.png
http://www.dreadnoughtproject.org/he...reenshot_4.png

It seems we have very common ambitions as your list matches the IUF todo list 1:1

Last edited by Deamon; 05-07-09 at 01:57 AM.
Deamon is offline   Reply With Quote