SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-23-20, 08:02 AM   #1
jorgegonzalito
Officer

Downloads: 322
Uploads: 0
Default A camel through the eye of a needle

This should be the title of the US Navy's "Cloak and dagger" patrol for SH4. I am a newbie in this simulator and therefore I am operating with a very low level of realism, when not zero. I'm learning and thinking about a mission well before starting it, but sometimes this game forces us to get into the ring to fight with one hand tied behind our back. He was to set sail with a "Gato" class submarine from Fremantle in Australia, and take an allied spy to the port of Singapore to infiltrate it. He already knew this route quite well, having traveled it in the opposite direction, in a similar operation with a German IXD2 submarine. On that occasion the most difficult part of the route was through waters under Japanese rule, although very calm because I was "among friends", but this time everything would be very different. The first stage from Australia and through the Indian Ocean did not present any relevant difficulty, navigating on the surface at night and during the day always attentive to any contact to dive. The question got interesting when we reached the strait between Java and Sumatra, since from then on until the port of Singapore is shallow water. I carefully traced the route winding through the map over the darkest areas, obviously the deepest waters, which in spite of everything did not exceed 50/60 feet under the keel, presenting a constant rocky bottom without any flat terrain where the submarine could pose. if necessary. Also this last leg of the trip had a strong presence of Japanese warships, which increased notably as I approached Singapore Bay. Despite everything, I managed to get close to the coast without being detected, and I was worried about the last stretch of still shallower waters, where I would have to navigate to leave this subject and comply with the clauses of the game so that the mission would be given me as accomplished . I shouldn't have worried because I would never get there, much to my regret I understood that this was a Japanese Gibraltar. I was reasonably good up there, but backfired. Being submerged and at minimum speed at night, a plane appeared out of nowhere and I don't know how it saw or detected me, because immediately two Japanese warships appeared. My only defense was to go unnoticed, but I had lost it and now I would lose the sub and my crew. I should have engaged in combat and could perhaps sink one of those ships, but we already know that in this game you uselessly spend torpedoes trying to sink one of these destroyers, which immediately shoot out like racing boats, something that, like the bottom of the sea, always full of rocks seems very unreal to me. Please, comments that this game is not for me, they are useless. I tell my experience because fortunately I receive very useful tips and suggestions from some of you, especially on how to cheat this cheating game. Thanks and regards!
jorgegonzalito is offline   Reply With Quote