SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-26-13, 06:10 AM   #1
jaxa
The Old Man

Downloads: 413
Uploads: 0
Default CTD during loading savegame

I know there were some threads about this problem, I've read them, but didn't find proper solution. I use Win7 64bit (4GB patch) and play SH3, GWX and SH3Commander with this list of mods:
GWX - 16km Atmosphere
GWX - No Medals on Crew
GWX - Open Hatch Mod
AChSoundMod_v1.2
Conus' Historically Accurate U-boat Emblems 1.3
Wooden_Lifeboats_Mod_1.1
Waterstream+Exhaust Combi V2.3 for GWX3
Waterstream+Exhaust Combi - Single Exhaust for TypeII
WAC4.1 SubPen_animated_18.02.2010
Torpedo damage Final ver2.0
TheDarkWraith_Ship_Plane_Fire_Damage_v1_4_SH3
Sub Image mod
SH4StyleFlags_GWX
OLC's Modified Searchlight Beams for GWX3
Rubini´s Chief Helsman stress behaviour fix
Sobers 3D waves
Rbs1_SH4_Effects_GWX_30_71
Rbs10-enhancedoilexplosion
Foam 512x512
New_clearsky_clouds
GWX 3 Wilhemshafen,St Naz,Schluese and xtra ships V6
Merchant_Fleet_Mod_3.2
Unofficial_rockets_fix_GWX3.0
No continuous 'Ship spotted' V1.2 for GWX3+Rubinis RocketFix
TMTv2+ThomsensShips v4.4 for GWX3+Xtra ships
MFM3.2 displacement correction mod
Sobers Real Smoke
Air Torpedo_mod_v2.0
Aces' Combined SH3.SDL Files v4
MaGui F
optional-blue recmanual for MaGui F
GWM - No Torpedo Icons
Supplement to V16B1 (JSGME)
O2-Gauges v2
Sh3_volumetric_clouds&fog_V1h

Sometimes I have very irritating problem with savegames, which don't want to load. Loading process goes up to the end, I see black screen with "not so long ago" or something similar and next step is CTD. In my existing career I've started mission in Kiel, sailed to the northern Scotland with some ships sunk and everything with savegames was OK (game was saved many times). Yesterday I wanted to continue such succesfull patrol and load the last savegame, but the result was CTD. Is there any solution for recovery this savegame? I've started the third career, always ended by CTD. What the hell is going on? I think it's internal problem with savegames writing, how to fix it?
jaxa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-13, 06:22 AM   #2
VONHARRIS
Konteradmiral

Downloads: 300

I had the same problem as you.
This is just a suggestion which works for me.
You could say it is a bit risky.
Anyway , I use the option "Save and exit" not just "Save game".
That means that I don't use multiple saves while playing but only one when I want to stop playing.
Overwriting a previous save is NOT allowed.
Of course all other directives are followed : Not saving underwater , during battle , near any unit , near land(50Km is the limit).

Hope that helps.
VONHARRIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-13, 06:50 AM   #3
jaxa
The Old Man

Funny, but during existing career I used option "save" instead of "save and exit" for the same reasons as you In my earlier career I used "save" option during playing and "save and exit" option when I wanted to quit playing.
I always use two save games during playing (A and B for instance) and save the game using A, next using B and again A etc.
Of course other directives are known by me and used.

I don't want to lose this savegame. Is it a way for recovery it?
Playing with risk of losing savegames is very irritating
Old 10-26-13, 01:58 PM   #4
VONHARRIS
Konteradmiral

I am afraid I don't know how to recover a corrupted saved game.
When this happens to me -rarely now- , I just ditch the whole career regardless of how succesful it has been so far.

Note : Did you enable or disable a mod while on patrol? It is a common reason to produce CTDs.
Old 10-26-13, 02:54 PM   #5
jaxa
The Old Man

I never enable/disable any mods during patrol. Don't know the reason of this fatal situation. It makes me angry and discourage for playing.
Old 10-26-13, 05:00 PM   #6
sublynx
Sea Lord

Location: In the conning tower of my VIIC scanning the sea through the periscope
Downloads: 173
Uploads: 7

That's maybe the heaviest mod load I've seen. I'm guessing yours might be a memory related problem. Even with the 4GB patch and Windows 7. Maybe try playing a career with a smaller load and see if that helps. If you get your system to a point where you can play with no CTD's you can then start adding mods and see if you start to get CTD's again.
Old 10-27-13, 10:03 AM   #7
jaxa
The Old Man

Hmm, maybe it's the only idea to resolve this problem
What do you suggest to temporary delete and check stability of the rest mods list?
I'll try to play without GWX 3 Wilhemshafen,St Naz,Schluese and xtra ships V6 and change TMTv2+ThomsensShips v4.4 for GWX3+Xtra ships for version without xtra ships (only TMTv2). I''ve read somewhere that problem with stability is often combined with additional units (ships, planes etc), which are inaccurate merged in campaign.

PS. Looking for infos about CTD during loading savegames I've found thread from July 2013, where BigWalleye said this:

"My last CTDs occurred just prior to removing TDWs DC Water Disturbance v4.0. I had been using TDWs DC Water Disturbance v4.0 (SH3 Cmdr date), installed with JSGME, all the time I had the CTD problem. I removed it from Commander and installed the basic mod TDWs DC Water Disturbance v4.0 in SH3-GWX, again using JSGME. Once I removed that, the CTDs seemed to cease. BTW, I have not had any CTD problems in my NYGM install, where I use TDWs DC Water Disturbance v4.0 (SH3 Cmdr date).

I know that TDW has gone on to modding for SH5, where he has done some landmark mods. I don't know whether there is a problem with the mod, or just with some interaction with my mods or with my environment. I doubt that TDW would be interested in coming back to SH3 just to investigate what may be, for his mod, a non-problem. I suspect that there are lots of gamers out there who are using one or the other version of TDWs DC Water Disturbance v4.0 successfully, or the forum would be full of posts about it. So I think the problem may be peculiar to unique conditions. BUT, if you are having a problem similar to mine, AND you are using TDWs DC Water Disturbance v4.0, then removing it might be a good place to start."

Because I use this mod (exactly version for SH3Commander) I'll check stability of my mod list without this mod (have to reinstall SH3Commander) and will see if it is the reason of my problem.

Last edited by jaxa; 10-27-13 at 10:41 AM.
Old 10-27-13, 01:27 PM   #8
VONHARRIS
Konteradmiral

I wish you good luck with your quest.
And remember : When this is all done you will be able to play SH3 by the hours.
Old 10-27-13, 03:09 PM   #9
jaxa
The Old Man

I like SH3 very very much, but CTD problems are very annoying and sometimes make me crazy
Now I'm testing SH4+OM career as a result of my problems with SH3, I decided give this pack a chance, but it's not the same and it's very difficult to compare both these games. Atmosphere of SH3+GWX are unique.
I have to uninstall and install SH3, GWX and SH3Commander again and check this pack without DC Water Disturbance mod enabled. Hope it helps
Old 10-27-13, 11:50 PM   #10
VONHARRIS
Konteradmiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxa View Post
I like SH3 very very much, but CTD problems are very annoying and sometimes make me crazy
Now I'm testing SH4+OM career as a result of my problems with SH3, I decided give this pack a chance, but it's not the same and it's very difficult to compare both these games. Atmosphere of SH3+GWX are unique.
I have to uninstall and install SH3, GWX and SH3Commander again and check this pack without DC Water Disturbance mod enabled. Hope it helps
I tried the same thing : giving SH4+TMO a chance but it didn't work.
The game worked fine , it loaded faster that SH3+GWX+my mod soup but SH4 isn't SH3 and eventually SH4 failed my test.
I wish you good luck!
Old 10-28-13, 11:33 AM   #11
sublynx
Sea Lord

Location: In the conning tower of my VIIC scanning the sea through the periscope

If you want a change and a lighter load, maybe you can try NYGM. It's easier on the computer than GWX. Most of the mods are also NYGM compatible. So you can start with NYGM and then start adding MFM, USAM and whatnot if it works without CTD's.
Old 10-28-13, 12:24 PM   #12
jaxa
The Old Man

Thanks for your suggestion sublynx, but for me GWX is the only mega mod for SH3, using another mod would be like betrayal of beloved woman with another one
Old 10-28-13, 02:23 PM   #13
VONHARRIS
Konteradmiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxa View Post
Thanks for your suggestion sublynx, but for me GWX is the only mega mod for SH3, using another mod would be like betrayal of beloved woman with another one
I totally agree!
Old 10-28-13, 03:48 PM   #14
sublynx
Sea Lord

I was also a faithful GWX hubby for years

Sorry about that GWX - it's not that I didn't love you, we just somehow grew apart