SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-04-15, 03:08 AM   #451
HW3
Navy Seal

Downloads: 453
Uploads: 0

I guess they haven't figured out that their ISP stores a whole lot more personally identifiable info on them, that their government can get anytime they want, without a warrant, by using NSL's. Info includes browsing history, searches, IP's, browsers used, ect. And all of it traceable by their name right to their web access point. And they are worried about MS collecting info.

"Some ships are designed to sink...others require our assistance." Nathan Zelk
HW3 is online   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-15, 09:48 AM   #452
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff-Groves View Post
AVG,

You know you are now branded as a heretic and blasphemer right?
Anyone that posts ANYTHING the differs from the "SMASH MICROSOFT" BS is after all an idiot it seems.

I'll give you all a clue. If your storing personal info on a system hooked to the 'Net?
Your an idiot and deserve your **** getting hacked.
I'm willing to accept that.
Old 12-04-15, 10:13 AM   #453
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by HW3 View Post
I guess they haven't figured out that their ISP stores a whole lot more personally identifiable info on them, that their government can get anytime they want, without a warrant, by using NSL's. Info includes browsing history, searches, IP's, browsers used, ect. And all of it traceable by their name right to their web access point. And they are worried about MS collecting info.

From what I have read, MS attempts to collect two pieces of information, what sites users visit so to target sales advertising for things said user enjoys. Second, how the user navigates the OS so MS can enhance/improve the OS product. I have found the user can opt out of both. Generally the question asked by MS is, "Would you like to participate..."

Tracing IP's and such appears to be a necessary evil. Years ago phone lines were traceable. Often tapped without warrant.
Old 12-04-15, 11:21 AM   #454
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVGWarhawk View Post
I took a look at the settings on my new machine. The privacy on/off buttons is quite extensive. From ad tracking to shutting down the camera not allowing any app use it at all. The privacy statement is quite clear. I really can not find cause for alarm. Ok, so new updates are installed automatically. That can be addressed as well.

BTW, I clicked on the button to stop Cortana from following my arse. She is now in the Gulag.
The articles I have posted fully rebutted each and every point you have made. They are from the most respected computer related watchdogs on the planet. Especially 35 minutes with Mr Barnacles Nerdgasm would be the only antidote you need to conquer blindness.

Now since Microsoft claims the right to access every character you type, every file you save, in fact, every file on your computer, claims the right to use any attached peripherals like webcams and microphones (almost all laptops have those), let's convince ourselves that Microsoft is the white knight in shining armor, never going to disrespect our soverignty over our personal lives.

Just like Norway, fine and meticulous record keepers that they are, carefully compiled records on the religious orientation of all its citizens as a metter of course, and of course, faithfully guarded that information against malicious use, when Germany invaded, there were complete records of virtually all the Jews in the country. It was child's play to round them all up to kill them. Italy, which had no such tradition of innocuous and harmless record collection, successfully resisted participating in the Final Solution, even though they were an ally of Germany not conquered by force as Norway was.

Moral of story, children friends: goodness does not justify invasion of privacy. Somebody bad can come into possession of the information and do evil things. Therefore it is not acceptable for Microsoft to collect this information even if they are our friends.

Reading the articles I have posted from a wide variety of experts, shows clearly that Microsoft is NOT our friend. We should be on our guard and defending ourselves.

As for the post that you slathered with "WHAT DOES THIS HAVE TO DO WITH WINDOWS 10" you opened the door to that discussion with a direct question, to which that post was the answer. Analogy is often the stronges argument, analyzing difficult to understand situations with universally understood situations.

But because they invade our privacy rights with a smile and a pat on the back it makes them MORE eggregious, not less harmful. The first step in a mugging is to disarm your victim. If it only takes a smile or a smarmy comment about "good faith" then all the better. What follows is still a mugging.

It's amazing to me that governments all over the world, including that of Republican George Bush were suing and prosecuting Microsoft in the early 2000's for restraint of trade and monopolistic practices merely for including Internet Exploder in Windows. Now with truly gangster tactics being used, those same people are winking, giving Microsoft the old thumbs up and giving excuses for their bullying. I'm not willing to give them a free pass. And I will continue to provide information for the benefit of those who are similarly concerned.

That information is not directed to those who don't want to listen. It is directed for those who can see the truth. Sometimes I include information in a reply, not for the benefit of the specific person I'm replying to, but the benefit of others reading the thread. Sometimes I talk about historical situations where similar behavior came to a bad end. In doing so I knowingly leave myself open to the attack that I am not responding to the subject at hand. I believe, however, that history has lessons to tell and by paying attention to it we might not have to make the same mistakes others have already paid the price for.

Microsoft is not acting in good faith, for the benefit of its customers or in accordance with long accepted standards of business behavior. They are acting as a predator and we are its prey.

Fun assignment for the week: Visit a bank and get the branch manager to utter and define the words "fiduciary responsibility." Then then have them explain how a computer program that bounces the maximum number of checks (example: you are $50 overdrawn because of a $50 check. Instead of bouncing the one check, the computer program will bounce as many smaller checks as it can to increase bank income from fees.) is an exercise of the bank's fiduciary responsibilities to its customers. Ask them if their bank uses such a program. Be prepared to be disgusted or thankful that your bank knows right from wrong.

Last edited by Rockin Robbins; 12-04-15 at 11:50 AM.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-15, 12:24 PM   #455
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Rocking Robbin:

Quote:
Moral of story, children friends:
Belittlement is not necessary.

Quote:
The articles I have posted fully rebutted each and every point you have made.
The articles I have posted rebutted your articles. None are points that I have made. These articles are from MS and valid sources.

Quote:
As for the post that you slathered with "WHAT DOES THIS HAVE TO DO WITH WINDOWS 10" you opened the door to that discussion with a direct question, to which that post was the answer.
No sir. It was stated by you and Skybird that one could get denied insurance. I countered with what insurances do you two speak off. There are after all more then one kind of insurance.

Although I do not appreciate the belittling, I do appreciate your taking time to point out MS dealings concerning their OS. However, as a consumer of products and services we here in the US have a choice not to use products and services that are flawed. Further, I understand MS is not my friend. Most if not all "friends" in any industry disappear after the contract is signed. I'm truly wondering when you will understand MS is a business that wants to make money. If you would like to us their product they will ask to do certain things during the use of said product. You have the right to decline and find another avenue to enjoy the internet. I do not understand the vendetta with MS.
Old 12-04-15, 01:16 PM   #456
aanker
Pacific Thunder

Downloads: 236
Uploads: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
The articles I have posted fully rebutted each and every point you have made. They are from the most respected computer related watchdogs on the planet. Especially 35 minutes with Mr Barnacles Nerdgasm would be the only antidote you need to conquer blindness.
You are a prolific writer RR, informative reads, all.

I'm curious, if you have Win7 64 as I do, did you do the dot Net & Office updates last month? I haven't - yet - I can't seem to find a definitive answer on those two.

Don't laugh (or cry), I'm still running Office Outlook 2003 because I like it. I let web-mail sort out the spam online, and only download from those on my 'white-list'.

When installing updates that I 'need', do I re-configure (disable entirely) the GWX_control_panel?

For years I have researched and hand selected any updates that MS has offered and hid the unnecessary ones - especially thankful for that practice since I uninstalled the first instance of the nag screen and related Win 10 files approx 5 months ago.

I ask because we have 'Update Tuesday' fast approaching again.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks RR.
4 Dec 2014 Update Edit:
I updated the dot Net and MS Office 2003, however today there was more KB # info on the sites & forums I look at; Ask Woody et al, and found the two new additional updates listed were suggested by most to keep hidden until more info was available. One had to do with a USB I don't even have.
The three new Optional updates listed I hid as usual - and as suggested.

Last edited by aanker; 12-04-15 at 07:09 PM.
aanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-15, 01:28 PM   #457
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Rocking Robin:

Quote:
Especially 35 minutes with Mr Barnacles Nerdgasm would be the only antidote you need to conquer blindness.
The Barnacles Nerdgasm that was laid off by MS? Now I see the vendetta.
Old 12-04-15, 01:30 PM   #458
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by aanker View Post
You are a prolific writer RR, informative reads, all.
Translation: I have a BIG MOUTH. I am not shy about sharing a room with a strong opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aanker View Post
I'm curious, if you have Win7 64 as I do, did you do the dot Net & Office updates last month? I haven't - yet - I can't seem to find a definitive answer on those two.

Don't laugh (or cry), I'm still running Office Outlook 2003 because I like it. I let web-mail sort out the spam online, and only download from those on my 'white-list'.

When installing updates that I 'need', do I re-configure (disable entirely) the GWX_control_panel?

For years I have researched and hand selected any updates that MS has offered and hid the unnecessary ones - especially thankful for that practice since I uninstalled the first instance of the nag screen and related Win 10 files approx 5 months ago.

I ask because we have 'Update Tuesday' fast approaching again.
I always apply the .NET and Office updates. I also use Office 2003 (wonder how long that will last) because I like it better. I'm also going to do a survey to see what the experts have found out about the lethality of last month's updates and will post what I find. I expect to be applying some of those, hiding the rest and having a clear deck for update Tuesday this month.

GWX Control Panel only changes settings pertaining to updating to Windows 10. It doesn't change your update settings for other updates. Folks, watch out as Microsoft has already announced that Windows 10 will download itself and at least partially install on Windows 7, 8 and 8.1 machines during the first quarter of 2016. This will apply even if you have no interest in Windows 10. Shields up!
Old 12-04-15, 02:23 PM   #459
fred8615
Saint of the seas

Downloads: 265
Uploads: 127

Here's another article calling out the Win 10 bashers:

http://www.zdnet.com/article/dont-le...ff-windows-10/

And from a guy who primarily uses OS X.
fred8615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-15, 02:36 PM   #460
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

People willing dump their information on Facebook and Google yet Windows 10 is a gather of information looking to take over the world.

This gentleman analyzes it nicely:

Quote:
Dave Blair, Nerd.

Full disclosure: I'm a Linux nut, so I can't deny feeling a little bit of satisfaction and Schadenfreude that Microsoft are getting a bad rep, again.

Having said that:

This addresses a wider issue – data privacy and why people get excited about it like nothing else. I think it's borderline hysterical. My explanations are as follows:
  • I'm special! My data is valuable! Of course. The billions of other users are also special, every bit of data counts. Not really. The data is mainly used for market research, and only once statistically analysed – by other computers. Even if the data isn't anonymized, an individual user's data is only interesting to that one person.
  • Computers are running the world! They have spectacular algorithms that can tell your shoe size and embarrassing medical problem from your age, date of birth and favourite colour. Nope, computer algorithms aren't intelligent, they can't pick up nuances and mannerisms. Humans are far more capable of that. For the challenge and to dispel the boredom, I tracked one paranoid "google knows everything" merchant that claimed that they never posted anything private, right down to their address and phone number by following specific topics the person wrote about, writing style and e-mail addresses left on public boards, through to a small ad they'd left on some obscure trading website. Took me half an hour. No supersleuthing needed. No profiling software, however sophisticated, can do that. I simply assume that if anyone wants to find out anything about me, they can do the same.
  • The statistical use of the Web would suggest that most of us have been on certain websites we really wouldn't want our boss, family members or whoever knowing about.
  • Lots and lots of false information: This or that website can find your IP address! They use Google Analytics, OMG! Sorry, anyone that hosts a website knows your IP address and most web space service providers come with a record of which IP address accessed your website and which website they were referred from. That's what Google Analytics does, only it's a little more refined. Besides, you can't find out who someone is from their IP address unless you give them your name. But then... you've given them your name.
  • Conspiracy theories, they're in cahoots with the government, CIA, Mossad, ZOG, Bilderberg Group, NWO and the like... sorry that really only interests conspiracy nuts, I'm not even going to go into that. They don't want to run the world, they want to sell you tampons... but it would be good to know whether you're in the market.
  • Helplessness: It's all too complicated and I'm not in control, someone has to help me and ban stuff and look out for me me me. Usually involves the children and old people argument. Ties in closely with Conspiracy and I'm special.
  • Specifically Facebook: I'll never understand this. You disclose information on yourself and then get worried it might get used for something. It's in the public domain, anyone can do what they want with your information.
The problem is: It's an elephant shoot. Big companies like Google and Microsoft are easy targets, but they're the last people anyone should be worried about – they have masses of information, and that alone means that finding that special information about you is like finding the needle in the really big haystack. They also have clear and plausible business models that don't involve selling your info to the spam mafia, or worse. Itty-bitty little dotcom companies with unknown provenance – not so much. They might be tempted to boost their tight start-up budget with a little data dealing on the side.
Old 12-04-15, 02:50 PM   #461
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred8615 View Post
Here's another article calling out the Win 10 bashers:

http://www.zdnet.com/article/dont-le...ff-windows-10/

And from a guy who primarily uses OS X.

There is no denying 10 collects data. So did any previous OS, as well as, Google and Facebook.

There is no denying the computer under your dashboard is also collecting data about your driving habits. Progressive has a device that plugs into your under dash ALDL that sends the driving data to Progressive. How fast your have driven. Hard braking. How much you drive. Where is the outrage that your cars computer is collecting that data and anyone can access it? VW computer will keep track of redlining the engine.

Image if getting insurance requires a reading from your current cars computer about your driving habits? You could be denied insurance!

Another way to keep all your data safe is never connecting to the internet. Nice talking to you.....

Last edited by AVGWarhawk; 12-04-15 at 03:56 PM.
AVGWarhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-15, 10:29 PM   #462
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVGWarhawk View Post
There is no denying 10 collects data. So did any previous OS, as well as, Google and Facebook.

There is no denying the computer under your dashboard is also collecting data about your driving habits. Progressive has a device that plugs into your under dash ALDL that sends the driving data to Progressive. How fast your have driven. Hard braking. How much you drive. Where is the outrage that your cars computer is collecting that data and anyone can access it? VW computer will keep track of redlining the engine.

Image if getting insurance requires a reading from your current cars computer about your driving habits? You could be denied insurance!

Another way to keep all your data safe is never connecting to the internet. Nice talking to you.....
So your argument is that consensual data gathering by Progressive equals nonconsentual gathering if info through subterfuge. Pretty weak. Consensual sex does not equal to and does not justify rape. There I go again illustrating the unknown with the universally agreed upon equivalent.
Old 12-05-15, 10:18 AM   #463
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

I think all I'll say up to this point is....

This thread has a lot of interesting detail that I should imagine many of our community find most interesting (myself included).

My two penneth of advice is....if you don't want to be spied on or have information about yourself gathered....don't use the internet.

Finally...mutual civility and respect for one another would make this thread even more enjoyable/readable.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-15, 02:52 PM   #464
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Let's marshall the evidence for my contention that Microsoft is not acting in good faith, that they have changed their business plan from serving their customers to preying upon their customers. And, of course, my conclusion that the reasonable course of action is to be on guard and defend yourself against conversion of your property to their use without permission or consent, invasion of privacy in an environment where privacy is expected, using your hardware to transfer cost from Microsoft to you.

Early next year, Microsoft will tap the Windows 10 upgrade so it automatically downloads to consumer PCs and even begin the installation process.

Improved GWX Control Panel does an even better job at keeping Windows 10 off your PC

Review: New Windows 10 version still can't beat Windows 7

Woody's MSDEFCOM system and advice

Good Microsoft, Bad Microsoft

Windows 10 growth sluggish as Windows 7/8.x users stick with their OS

Ghacks.net

Susan Bradley,
Attempting to answer whether MS is snooping

Microsoft stays tightlipped as the world rages

Updates relating to nag or install Windows 10 or spy on you as Windows 10 would. Remember, this is only pertaining to Windows 7. If you are unfortunate enough to have the cell phone operating systems 8 or 8.1 you'll have to consult the article above:

KB3055583
KB2976978
KB3050267
KB3068708
KB3022345
KB2952664
KB2977759
KB3075249
KB3080149
KB3090045
MS-DEFCON 3: Patch Windows, but beware the snoops

http://betanews.com/2015/09/11/remov...nd-windows-8-x
http://www.ghacks.net/2015/08/28/mic...and-8-systems/
http://www.extremetech.com/computing...to-windows-7-8
http://betanews.com/2015/08/13/windo...ivacy-settings
http://money.cnn.com/2015/07/31/tech...ter/index.html

From the EULA: "We will access, disclose and preserve personal data, including your content (such as the content of your e-mails, other private communications, or files in private folders) when we have a good faith belief that doing so is necessary"

How to use Firefox as your default browser

What's left after you disable Microsoft data collection

http://clicks.aweber.com/y/ct/?l=N3Q...BDqAy67krLYggQ

http://clicks.aweber.com/y/ct/?l=N3Q...YyqYc.B8prNRMw

The good thing about Microsoft is that knowing that people no longer believe privacy is one of their inalienable rights and so don't care if they are data-mined any more, is not bashful about telling you exactly how eggregious their invasion of privacy is. They TELL you that people on various friends lists around the Internet have default access to your home network. They TELL you that they will access every part of your computer and its software, taking data from all files that they can hack their way to. They tell you that your microphone and other peripherals will be recorded and sent to Microsoft.

Menus no longer serve the purpose of helping you do what you want, but are for the purpose of hiding what you want and making that increasingly difficult to do. As part of the process for picking Firefox as your default browser you must actually select Edge, for instance. Privacy related issues are menued by a bright shiny button saying "slay me" and a tiny greyed out option out of your attention that allows you to protect yourself.

And after all that the reply comes back "No problem." What would have alarmed us to no end a year ago is now accepted as unavoidable and when people who retain their values from a year ago raise the alarm, they are derided as crazies.

Last edited by Rockin Robbins; 12-05-15 at 05:10 PM.
Old 12-05-15, 04:30 PM   #465
HW3
Navy Seal

Downloads: 453

Quote:
My two penneth of advice is....if you don't want to be spied on or have information about yourself gathered....don't use the internet.
Exactly!!!!

"Some ships are designed to sink...others require our assistance." Nathan Zelk
HW3 is online   Reply With Quote

Tags
windows