SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-08-22, 10:12 PM   #211
ET2SN
ET2/SS

Downloads: 58
Uploads: 0

Meanwhile, I'm thinking I should have started a thread just for this, but..

For the record, if your idea is "I don't see the problem" you're probably under 30.

Its called a Crash Investigation, not a Crash Exposé or a Crash Blast.
ET2SN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-22, 12:05 PM   #212
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

China is monitoring what goes on in the White House and their steps they take against Russia-So far I'm convince they see nothing but weakness and this may be a bad thing for Taiwan.

I think we will be witness to a Chinese attempt to take Taiwan this year or next.

Markus

My little lovely female cat
mapuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-22, 12:07 PM   #213
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Does anyone know what happened with that crash-landed F-35 that dropped into the SouthChinese Sea? The story somehow dropped off my radar screen.
Old 02-23-22, 01:06 PM   #214
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by ET2SN View Post
Meanwhile, I'm thinking I should have started a thread just for this, but.. [...]
For the record, if your idea is "I don't see the problem" you're probably under 30. [...] :
Interesting, however these men talking about openly on Youtube is something i would not have expected, as well as the leaked video

On the other hand, modern times. So apart from sailors, iphones, GoPros anyone could place a camouflaged camera somewhere on a carrier when in port, e.g. just by using a drone placing it there.

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-22, 01:32 PM   #215
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
Does anyone know what happened with that crash-landed F-35 that dropped into the SouthChinese Sea? The story somehow dropped off my radar screen.
Can't find anything more recent than Jan 26th

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/01/26/us-n...ly%20recovered.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-22, 01:44 PM   #216
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

This is an update on my lastest comment Post #212

Quote:
Concerns have been rising in recent years that a confident China under leader Xi Jinping may make a bold move to take control of Taiwan, and Beijing will likely be carefully monitoring the situation in Ukraine for signs of how Western powers respond -- and just how severe those responses are.
https://edition.cnn.com/2022/02/23/c...mic/index.html

Markus

Old 02-23-22, 01:49 PM   #217
ET2SN
ET2/SS

As I understand it, the good news is that it sank in 10,000+ feet of ocean.
The bad news is that it sank in 10,000+ feet of ocean.

Even using ROVs, that is a difficult salvage operation.
When you think about it, it would also be a difficult-to-impossible scuttling operation.
Old 02-23-22, 02:05 PM   #218
ET2SN
ET2/SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
Interesting, however these men talking about openly on Youtube is something i would not have expected, as well as the leaked video

On the other hand, modern times. So apart from sailors, iphones, GoPros anyone could place a camouflaged camera somewhere on a carrier when in port, e.g. just by using a drone placing it there.
The main idea is that those guys know better.
You don't taint the accident investigation because the rest of the fleet can benefit from the findings (unless you're trying to sell technothrillers on Amazon ).

The problem is that you can speculate about what went wrong as well as Ward.
Speculation doesn't mean stink but it can influence a valid investigation.

As far as leaking footage, like I said, if you're under 30 you don't understand why its bad.
Old 02-23-22, 02:46 PM   #219
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by ET2SN View Post
[...]
As far as leaking footage, like I said, if you're under 30 you don't understand why its bad.
I expect this to change soon, again.

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-22, 04:42 PM   #220
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Have no words I can put down.

Quote:
Taiwan's military released a handbook on civil defence for the first time on Tuesday, giving citizens survival guidance in a war scenario as Russia's invasion of Ukraine focuses attention on how the island should respond to China's pressure.
https://www.reuters.com/world/asia-p...at-2022-04-12/

Markus

Old 05-14-22, 05:08 AM   #221
Skybird
Soaring

A whimsical opinion piece from FOCUS.

China's great self-deception: now it's all blown open

Wasn't China just touted to us as the laboratory of modernity? And now? Now they're sticking test sticks in salmon and condemning millions to house arrest for fortune cookies and expired yogurt.

I have been to many countries in the world in my lifetime. I belong to a generation that was still allowed to fly without a guilty conscience. Actually, I liked it everywhere.

I was also in China once. I was there on a state visit as a member of the journalistic entourage of the German president.

From a tourist point of view, there's nothing to complain about. The country has breathtaking landscapes to offer. The Forbidden City is one of the architectural marvels that must be seen. Shanghai is a megalopolis that changes its face so quickly that every six months the city map is outdated.

In Beijing, we were invited to a state banquet. We were seated at tables of 12. My seat neighbor to the right was some bigwig in the state apparatus, my neighbor to the left did something with finance.

If you ever get an invitation to a state dinner, think twice about attending. It's usually a mind-numbing event. Of course, you don't let that show. After all, you're not invited as a private citizen, but as a representative of your country. So you try to make a good impression.

I tried to get a conversation going in English. But it was obvious that I was talking to the wrong people. The Chinese to my right was typing into his cell phone without even looking at me. The neighbor to my left turned his back on me and talked on the phone at ease while slurping his soup at the same time. The only consolation was that my fellow passengers were no better off, as a glance across the other tables told me.

I have to admit, this experience has clouded my image of China as a cultural country a bit. I am convinced that there are also charming, modest Chinese who know how to behave toward strangers in such a way that they do not feel that hospitality is a dirty word. I just haven't met them.

The crazy thing about the Chinese is: they think they are the crown of creation. I don't think there is any people who are as full of themselves as the Chinese. Anyone who isn't like them is considered a second-class person - when it comes down to it. I would have thought that a nation that has to be painstakingly taught not to spit on the ground at every opportunity would still have room for improvement in terms of civilization, as the saying goes. But that is probably the typical European snootiness.

Why this little preface? Because for weeks I have been finding reports in the newspapers about how they are imposing one lockdown after another in Shanghai. In Beijing, too, citizens fear a new curfew.

No one is allowed to leave the apartment, not even to walk the dog. Robots patrol the streets, exhorting people to stay in their homes. They are starving. Since residents in Shanghai stepped out onto their balconies to shout out their desperation, they are also forbidden to enter. Those caught opening the balcony window face serious consequences.

Only those who have the misfortune to end up in one of the quarantine centers are worse off. The hygienic conditions in the camps are so disastrous that one is guaranteed to catch, if not covid, then some other terrible disease. There are reports of old people being dragged from their beds at night to be segregated. Children are separated from their parents, babies from their mothers. No one is safe anymore.

I read the reports from Shanghai with a mixture of fascination and horror. Wasn't China, until just now, being touted to us as the Mecca of high technology? As the country where everything happens ten times as fast as here? As the future laboratory of capitalism and the beacon of modernity? And now they are putting test sticks into salmon because the virus was supposedly introduced via Norwegian salmon stocks, and condemning millions to house arrest with fortune cookies and expired yogurt. I imagined modernity differently.

All over the world, life is starting to get back to normal, except in China. Why? Because national pride prevents the Chinese from being vaccinated with a vaccine that works. There is a Chinese vaccine, but it is no good against Omicron. It is one thing to copy Adidas sneakers or Stihl chainsaws, and quite another to copy an mRNA vaccine. There is a contract with Biontech for the delivery of 100 million doses of the vaccine, but it lacks approval because the state leadership sees its use as an admission of weakness. So the only option is the permanent lockdown. Zero Covid Forever.

I've never understood how anyone can stand China. This mixture of crony capitalism, control addiction, and undisguised aggressiveness would drive me crazy. But I met a lot of people who raved about China. The speed, they said, the efficiency! Learning from Asia would mean learning to win.

That was also true of Corona for a long time. Do you remember, two years ago, when we had talk shows full of young women with Asian immigrant backgrounds who could explain to us exactly what they were doing better than us far to the east? It has become noticeably quieter around the No Covid friends.

A very big China fan was Angela Merkel. Her eyes lit up when she spoke of her visits to Xi Jinping. No chancellor has visited the People's Republic as often as she has. She was there twelve times during her term. I think she secretly admired Xi Jinping for the way he governed the country. To be able to govern the country as he did, without any silly talk from the side, that would have been her dream, too. One would like to know how she sees it today. But she has disappeared.
Xi Jinping wants to be re-elected in the fall

Perhaps in the future we should look more carefully at whom we depend on economically. I'm not in favor of closing ourselves off or rolling back globalization, not at all. But it would be nice if we didn't repeat the mistake we made with Russia. Anyone who puts 1.5 million people into re-education camps just because they belong to a religious community they distrust at the head of state can be trusted with anything, even evil.

Chinese State and Party leader Xi Jinping said a year ago about the fight against Covid-19: "Judging by how the pandemic has been handled by different governments and political systems, we can clearly see who is better." At that point, it still looked like China would come through the crisis as a model country.

Xi Jinping wants to be re-elected in the fall. He has had the constitution amended specifically for this purpose. He will be in power even longer than Mao. I see no reason to disagree with him. "Judged by the results...": sure, why not?

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)
Old 05-19-22, 04:50 AM   #222
Skybird
Soaring

Western stupidity knows no limits. "But we mean it so well!" Mimimimimi...!

https://beta.dw.com/en/are-european-...ary/a-61834716

https://www.ftm.eu/chinascienceinvestigation

Quote:
Chinese scientists are collaborating extensively with Western universities. But does their research have strings attached? What about cooperation on sensitive topics, meaning that high-quality Western knowledge might flow to the Chinese regime? And to what extent is the Chinese military involved in such collaborations with the West, for instance through its own scientists and research institutes? To map the scope of this problem, platform for investigative journalism Follow the Money gathered over 350,000 scientific papers published in the past two decades, and made those available to a collective of eleven investigative desks from seven European countries. At the initiative of FTM and with the support of CORRECTIV, 30 journalists uncover the academic strategy of the Chinese authorities.
Old 06-01-22, 10:27 AM   #223
Skybird
Soaring

https://edition.cnn.com/2022/05/31/a...-ml/index.html

Quote:
if China tries to take Taiwan, are the United States and its allies able to stop it?And the alarming answer is: Quite possibly not. Analysts say China has more troops, more missiles and more ships than Taiwan or its possible supporters, like the US or Japan, could bring to a fight. That means that if China is absolutely determined to take the island it probably can.

But there's a caveat; while China could likely prevail, any victory would come at an extremely bloody price for both Beijing and its adversaries.

Many analysts say an invasion of Taiwan would be more dangerous and complex than the Allied D-Day landings in France in World War II. US government documents put the number of killed, injured and missing from both sides during the almost three-month-long Normandy campaign at almost half a million troops.And the civilian carnage could be far, far worse.
(...)
Despite its numerical advantages in sea-, air- and land-based forces in the region, China has Achilles heels in each arena of war that would force Beijing to think long and hard about whether an invasion is worth the overwhelming human cost.
(...)
In a quarantine scenario, the Chinese government would effectively take control of the air and sea borders of Taiwan," they wrote. "The Chinese government would run effectively a clearance operation offshore or in the air to screen incoming ships and aircraft. The screeners could then wave along what they regarded as innocent traffic."Anything regarded as belligerent, such as US military aid for Taiwan, could be blocked or confiscated as a violation of Chinese sovereignty, they say. Meanwhile, China could allow the Taiwan government to function as normal except for foreign affairs.

This option would have an advantage in China's eyes: the ball would be in the US' court as to whether to use force to end the quarantine. Then it would be the US that would have to consider whether to risk a war that could cost countless lives.
Old 06-02-22, 10:27 AM   #224
Skybird
Soaring

The story of the crashed F-35 dropped off our radar screens before it was solved, so here is how it ended, already in early March:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-60607784
Old 06-05-22, 12:59 PM   #225
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
"The recovery effort shows the US Navy's commitment to its assets, and a free and open Indo-Pacific," the Navy said in a statement.
I suspect it would be more accurate to suggest they were afraid the Chinese would get to it first and clone it.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote