SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-26-12, 07:40 PM   #76
Rubini
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 132
Uploads: 0

Made some few tests with some quick ideas...and nothing worked.
1. Added 3 new nodes per hydro on sensors.dat and then attached the SensorsData to them. - not worked
2. make all three sensorsdata have the same ID (the game runs fine for controllers, but not for nodes). not worked too.

More ideas?
(Iīm editing the first post with these (bad) news.)
Old 03-27-12, 12:34 AM   #77
Leitender
Planesman

Downloads: 50

Hi Rubini,

iīm sorry for making you concerns. The only idea i had was to attach the precise range to the maxrange value, but that didnīt work either. Here i am at the end of my abilities.

Greetings
Leitender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-12, 03:45 PM   #78
LGN1
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 147
Uploads: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGN1 View Post
Hi Leitender,

thanks for the information. Have you tried it? Does it work? I always thought the game cannot handle two radars/hydrophone/visuals,... at the same time

Regards, LGN1
Hi Leitender,

could you please comment on this? Thanks!

Regards, LGN1
LGN1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-12, 06:20 PM   #79
Leitender
Planesman

Hi LGN1,
that was what i saw within the files about existing sensors but i didnīt test new sensors yet. Sorry for late response.
Greetings
Old 03-28-12, 02:43 PM   #80
LGN1
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 147
Uploads: 12

Thanks for the reply, Leitender

So it's worth testing it! Let's see when I will find time.

Regards, LGN1
LGN1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-12, 03:15 PM   #81
Wolfstriked
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 230

Great stuff Rubini.A question I have is about the blind spots of a hydrophone.Could you explain the arc better.Is it dumb to submerge and do a 360deg turn to ensure the blind spots are not a hindrance?
Wolfstriked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-12, 04:13 PM   #82
Rubini
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfstriked View Post
Great stuff Rubini.A question I have is about the blind spots of a hydrophone.Could you explain the arc better.Is it dumb to submerge and do a 360deg turn to ensure the blind spots are not a hindrance?
IIRC, an arc is just an amount of a circular degree that is covered in a presetted time and with a probability to make a contact. It seems to me, a better option than the no arc sensors exactly because arcs have probability.

On some SH5 scripts the boat do a full stop, listen a bit, then a 45 degree turn and full stop again just to cover the blind spots. Well, this is the more realistic way, no doubt. But I didn't used this approach on my script mod at first, as this will be done in high TC and players will never noted it...I guess.
Old 03-28-12, 04:22 PM   #83
Wolfstriked
Grey Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubini View Post
IIRC,an arc is just a amount of a circular degree that is covered in a presetted time and with a probability to make a contact. It seems to me, a better option than the no arc sensors exactly because arcs have probability.

On some SH5 scripts the boat do a full stop, listen a bit, then a 45 degree turn and full stop again just to cover the blind spots. Well, this is the more realistic way, no doubt. But I didn't used this approach on my script mod at first, as this will be done in high TC and players will never noted it...I guess.
So using your hydrophone mod removes the blind spots?For now,I am not using the long patrol script and wonder if you could put the arcs back for those that like to manually dive and hydro check.Or am I misunderstanding you.I am from NYC and you are from Sao Paulo so there might be a slight speech difference.
Old 03-28-12, 04:34 PM   #84
Rubini
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
So using your hydrophone mod removes the blind spots?For now,I am not using the long patrol script and wonder if you could put the arcs back for those that like to manually dive and hydro check.Or am I misunderstanding you.I am from NYC and you are from Sao Paulo so there might be a slight speech difference.
For sure!
No, arc does nothing about blind spots. They are the sensors internal sh3 engine properties only.
And the script is another history,i just want to said that to you cover the blind spots, you really must turn your uboat abit.
Old 03-28-12, 11:28 PM   #85
Wolfstriked
Grey Wolf

Where can I learn about the blind spots for various equipment.Also Rubini,I seem to be getting readings on surface with your mod.It might be mod soup though so tommorow I will try it loading it last and see what happens.
Old 03-28-12, 11:41 PM   #86
Rubini
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Where can I learn about the blind spots for various equipment.Also Rubini,I seem to be getting readings on surface with your mod.It might be mod soup though so tommorow I will try it loading it last and see what happens.
Use version 1.0a, the sensors are more deep on this version.
Old 03-28-12, 11:55 PM   #87
Wolfstriked
Grey Wolf

Thanks Rubini,will probably leave as is but just move SO to rest on surface.Maybe a mod to move SO to and from hydrophone if the newer version is better for readings close to periscope depth.
Old 03-29-12, 02:02 AM   #88
Leitender
Planesman

Quote:
Could you explain the arc better.Is it dumb to submerge and do a 360deg turn to ensure the blind spots are not a hindrance?
May i assist you, Rubini?

Wolfstriked

There were 3 passive sonars used in german U-Boats: GHG, KDB and Balkon.

The early GHG sensors were attached to each side of the boat near the front dive plane. Thatīs why one could only hear along the side and had blind spots at bow and stern. The commanders always did a 90° turn, to discover these blind spots in reality, btw. normally at a depth of 30m to get a maximum range.

Later rotatable KDB was mounted on top of the foredeck which led to a blind spot only at the stern because of the connning tower. That system was quite sensitive but had a minor range compared to the GHG and also was very vulnerable against depth charges. So it soon was cut off.

Finally Balkon followed the GHG principle, but was mounted below the keel at the bow of the boat, which reduced the blind spot to the stern and made spotting possible when surfaced. Also range was increased.

If contact was lost, the operater could estimate the targetīs course for little time and give these estimates to the kaleun. If the targetīs course was more or less perpendicular it was possible to bridge this gap.

Bearing accuracy was not accurate enough to get firing solutions irl (different than ingame). So it was only used for tactical / surveillance purposes.

So far so good. All the blind spots, resp. bearings are given in the sensors.dat file and the values were more or less ok. Beyond, there is a "always tracking bonus time" within the sensors.cfg wich exactly simulates the update of bearing without contacts. This is a very fine and well functioning system in SH3. But this only concerns the crew.

You yourself are able to hear contacts at the hydrophone without any restrictions in geometry, loudness, speed etc. Thatīs much easier, but not realliy realistic. So if you trust only your sonar operator, you will gain realistic results. To support your operator turn your boat after a few minutes 90° as irl and you will get the biggest immersion.

Last edited by Leitender; 03-29-12 at 02:13 AM.
Old 03-29-12, 10:04 AM   #89
Rubini
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leitender View Post

Wolfstriked

The early GHG sensors were attached to each side of the boat near the front dive plane. Thatīs why one could only hear along the side and had blind spots at bow and stern. The commanders always did a 90° turn, to discover these blind spots in reality, btw. normally at a depth of 30m to get a maximum range.

Later rotatable KDB was mounted on top of the foredeck which led to a blind spot only at the stern because of the connning tower. That system was quite sensitive but had a minor range compared to the GHG and also was very vulnerable against depth charges. So it soon was cut off.

Finally Balkon followed the GHG principle, but was mounted below the keel at the bow of the boat, which reduced the blind spot to the stern and made spotting possible when surfaced. Also range was increased.

If contact was lost, the operater could estimate the targetīs course for little time and give these estimates to the kaleun. If the targetīs course was more or less perpendicular it was possible to bridge this gap.

Bearing accuracy was not accurate enough to get firing solutions irl (different than ingame). So it was only used for tactical / surveillance purposes.

So far so good. All the blind spots, resp. bearings are given in the sensors.dat file and the values were more or less ok. Beyond, there is a "always tracking bonus time" within the sensors.cfg wich exactly simulates the update of bearing without contacts. This is a very fine and well functioning system in SH3. But this only concerns the crew.

You yourself are able to hear contacts at the hydrophone without any restrictions in geometry, loudness, speed etc. Thatīs much easier, but not realliy realistic. So if you trust only your sonar operator, you will gain realistic results. To support your operator turn your boat after a few minutes 90° as irl and you will get the biggest immersion.
Thanks Leitender! Very good explanation!
Old 03-29-12, 11:28 AM   #90
Wolfstriked
Grey Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leitender View Post

Wolfstriked

Excellent post there Leitender and just opens up more possibilities^^ in moddingAs for the player being able to hear with no restriction,well that sucks.You say trust the SO but last night he was totally unrealistic.In outside view his bearings to a lone merchant were off completely and sometimes spot on.I wonder then is it that I had less than half of the green bar filled.If so then that needs to be modded out also.Now get to work fellas.....