SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-18-08, 01:02 PM   #151
Kpt. Lehmann
GWX Project Director

Downloads: 115
Uploads: 0

Hi Graf Paper and all.

Just a reminder.

Docked or 'parked' ships begin to slowly drift when you start the game. Lighter, smaller ships are most susceptible to this problem and it is an SH3 quirk... not a bug introduced by GWX. Part of the wierdness associated with this 'drift' is that units may eventually merge with piers, buildings, other units, or land... Therefore you may occasionally see see a ship sticking out of concrete etc. This drift is worsened by bad weather and time compression.

Also, if you save your game within 35 km of scripted harbor traffic, it/they will lose their waypoints and continue in a straight line until they collide with intervening objects such as docks, other units, or land. This is also a quirk relating to SH3 and not GWX.

There is NOTHING we can do to eliminate the above problems, short of removing all harbor traffic. (We aren't going to do that.)

Sorry guys, that's just how it is. Some things, we just have to choose to ignore.

www.thegreywolves.com
All you need is good men. - Heinrich Lehmann-Willenbrock
Kpt. Lehmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-08, 01:28 PM   #152
Wolfehunter
Crusty Capt.

Downloads: 40
Uploads: 25

Thats what happens when your crew heads to the bar and leaves the runts to do the work. All hell breaks loose.:rotfl: Wait till the captains come back to see his ship smashed. All that paper work.
Old 01-18-08, 01:56 PM   #153
The Munster
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfehunter
Thats what happens when your crew heads to the bar and leaves the runts to do the work. All hell breaks loose.:rotfl: Wait till the captains come back to see his ship smashed. All that paper work.
Bunch of runts doing the work with Bernard at the helm = recipe for disaster !
:rotfl:

GWX Team Member; Retired
GWX Home Page

The Munster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-08, 02:02 PM   #154
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paco
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abd_von_Mumit
But a question first: what's the GWX team intention:
- to use original language names if possible (Muenchen, Warszawa, Moskva),
- to use English names if they exist (Munich, Warsaw, Moscow),
- ot to use German names if they exist (Muenchen, Warschau, Moskau)?
A few days ago someone stated on the forum that "Heligoland" should be spelled "Helgoland" as that's proper German name. But that stays correct only if we want to use German names, because if we choose English ones, "Heligoland" is proper. And so on, thus my question.
Good question, I could not answer I sent a couple of german corrections to GWX-Team and we will see what they do with them. Perhaps we get localized JSGME patches for the languages .

Or the community will do that later if needed

We will see,
Paco.
I've never heard this question raised in public before. I know it's late in the game, but just as my opinion I would vote for all German. We are playing German kaleuns after all.
Old 01-18-08, 05:44 PM   #155
Wolfehunter
Crusty Capt.

Downloads: 40
Uploads: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Munster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfehunter
Bunch of runts doing the work with Bernard at the helm = recipe for disaster !
:rotfl:
Ya I didn't want to bring him in. He's soo famous.
Old 01-19-08, 11:12 AM   #156
Graf Paper
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 41
Uploads: 2

danurve, I have no other mods installed with GWX 2.0 except for the Torpedo Damage Final 2.0 graphic and the optional mods that GWX has to load in with JSGME. So any radio traffic is only what GWX has scripted. I use SH3 Commander to load the game only because I had to alter the time compression value while near land to make transiting the Kiel Canal feel less like getting a root canal. No other settings have been altered.

Kpt. Lehman, I understand SH3 has more than its share of quirks and was hoping that something could possibly be done about the tanker with your expert skills.

None of the other dozen or so ships at Scapa behaved in such an odd fashion, inlcuding a small merchant moored at the dock near this crazy tanker. I'd have to call in question the "drift" theory because only this large tanker was affected, a behemoth when compared to the small merchant, and it was ramming the dock wall hard enough to raise it's stern clear out of the water as if its engines were set at "ahead full". Also, it's spawned position placed it directly abeam of the berth and a ship's intial bearing and speed are scripted, correct?

I've never encountered the "lost waypoint" bug you're referring to as I always try to make my saves while well out to sea. My boat, U-47, was in grid AN18, to the S-SE of Scapa and north of Aberdeen when I saved my game before sailing N-NW to infiltrate the harbor by way of Kirk Sound. ( By the way, love how y'all even got the blockships correct, according to historical documents. )

As for language preferences, using German place names gets my vote for the added feeling of "real", but I prefer to understand my officers in my two native tongues, english and bad english.

Having language "packs" that could be chosen using JSGME would seem to be the best course, but I'll leave such judgements to the capable hands of The Grey Wolves.

Thank you for your replies and clarifying things for me. All of you have done such a fantastic job with GWX that I no longer think of the game as Silent Hunter III so much as I do GWX using the SH3 engine.

FOOTNOTE:

U-47 intercepted a transmission from the British Admiralty to Scapa Flow:

Quote:
To: Harbormaster, Lynn

Sir,
You are instructed herein to cease all work duties using German POWs for harbor maintenance, loading cargo, and the mooring of vessels at dock. It is the opinion of this office that such labor is more trouble than it is worth and presents a continued hazard to His Majesty's war effort. All German prisoners are to be detained for transfer to mainland for further disposition at Whitechapel's discretion. The sole exception to this order is a Mr. B in your custody at this time. It has been decided his return to service "across the way" would be of greater benefit to The Crown and further frustrate the efforts of Mr. B's uncle. Mr. Churchill has instead recommended the Italian POWs would be of better service in securing the harbor.

Your acknowledgement and response is expected shortly.
Old 01-19-08, 11:31 AM   #157
Kpt. Lehmann
GWX Project Director

The 'docked harbor traffic drifts' bug and the 'harbor traffic loses waypoints when player saves game in immediate proximity' bugs are long-standing problems as other campaign file scriptors here will relate. There is nothing we can do about these long-standing bugs as I explained.

Regarding the tanker you refer to, did you physically observe its screws turning? (If I read correctly, you claim it was ramming the dock?)

Please note, some ships are more affected by the drift bug than others.

The likely outcome here is for us to simply delete the tanker in question from the Scapa Flow harbor.

www.thegreywolves.com
Old 01-19-08, 12:30 PM   #158
twexl
Electrician's Mate

Location: Portsmouth.England-20,000 leagues under the premiership
Downloads: 314
Default loss of renown

Regarding loss of destination renown in GWX 2.1 update,will that make going to your designated grid square redundant or do you lose renown for not attending?
twexl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-08, 12:38 PM   #159
Graf Paper
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 41
Uploads: 2

Kpt. Lehman, thank you for your prompt attention in this matter.

I cannot verify if the tanker's screws were turning, but the stormy weather was not producing waves large enough in the harbor to lift the stern so high out of the water and the ship was hitting the dock wall repeatedly with such force as to cause the tanker to suffer enough damage that it began smoking heavily very quickly and then burst into flames. The stern then sank, only to bob back up out of the water as if coming afloat again, then jumping up out of the water as the tanker hit once more,nearly exposing the screws. It kept doing this until finally becoming flooded enough to sink the entire ship, where she sat burning. I was forced to leave the harbor as all this action from the tanker caused severe stuttering (like an erratic slideshow) before killing my framerate to nearly zero when looking at the ship and thus made it impossible to target any other ships moored in line of sight nearby.

As I stated earlier, my last save point before getting anywhere near Scapa Flow was well to the south-southeast in grid AN18, at least a few hundred kilometers away, so I do not think it was the "lost waypoint" save bug.

Isn't it possible to re-orient the tanker's bearing so she sits moored inside the berth properly instead of being "double-parked"? I would be more than happy to attempt such an edit and let you know the results if you can point me to the correct file and for which data I should look.

If removing the tanker is the only solution, I hope you will be able to replace it with a vessel of similar tonnage value.

Again, I appreciate your attention and giving consideration to my troubles. You are indeed an honorable Kapitan, Herr Lehman.
Old 01-19-08, 12:47 PM   #160
melnibonian
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by twexl
Regarding loss of destination renown in GWX 2.1 update,will that make going to your designated grid square redundant or do you lose renown for not attending?
If I remember correctly there will be zero renown awarded for patroling your destination grid. So no renown added no subtracted
melnibonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-08, 12:52 PM   #161
Kpt. Lehmann
GWX Project Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by melnibonian
Quote:
Originally Posted by twexl
If I remember correctly there will be zero renown awarded for patroling your destination grid. So no renown added no subtracted
Exactly.

Players who choose to play in a realistic fashion can continue to follow orders to patrol given grids.

Players who are interested in more 'relaxed' arcade type play can ignore the patrol orders as usual.

Destination-based renown will no longer be a factor in GWX. As mentioned before, this was planned to take place with the release of GWX version 2.0 and did not occur due to oversight.

www.thegreywolves.com
Old 01-19-08, 01:00 PM   #162
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Another positive step toward realism

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-08, 01:05 PM   #163
Kpt. Lehmann
GWX Project Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graf Paper
I cannot verify if the tanker's screws were turning, but the stormy weather was not producing waves large enough in the harbor to lift the stern so high out of the water and the ship was hitting the dock wall repeatedly with such force as to cause the tanker to suffer enough damage that it began smoking heavily very quickly and then burst into flames. The stern then sank, only to bob back up out of the water as if coming afloat again, then jumping up out of the water as the tanker hit once more,nearly exposing the screws. It kept doing this until finally becoming flooded enough to sink the entire ship, where she sat burning. I was forced to leave the harbor as all this action from the tanker caused severe stuttering (like an erratic slideshow) before killing my framerate to nearly zero when looking at the ship and thus made it impossible to target any other ships moored in line of sight nearby.

As I stated earlier, my last save point before getting anywhere near Scapa Flow was well to the south-southeast in grid AN18, at least a few hundred kilometers away, so I do not think it was the "lost waypoint" save bug.
Yup. What you've described is the 'drift' bug... not the 'lost waypoints bug.'

Quote:
Isn't it possible to re-orient the tanker's bearing so she sits moored inside the berth properly instead of being "double-parked"? I would be more than happy to attempt such an edit and let you know the results if you can point me to the correct file and for which data I should look.
We'll look at it and correct it if its heading is wrong, however as the drift bug can cause docked ships to drift in any direction or heading... I don't really suspect that the heading is the problem.

Quote:
If removing the tanker is the only solution, I hope you will be able to replace it with a vessel of similar tonnage value.
Nice try. Not to be a jerk, but you can pretty much count submarine raids on ports/harbors in the U-boat war on one hand. Harbor raiding isn't something we really promote as for the most part it is not a 'realistic' behavior. (No offense intended.)

www.thegreywolves.com
Old 01-19-08, 01:08 PM   #164
twexl
Electrician's Mate

Location: Portsmouth.England-20,000 leagues under the premiership
Downloads: 314

Cheers,will follow orders without quuestion then
twexl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-08, 01:28 PM   #165
Julius Caesar
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpt. Lehmann
Also, if you save your game within 35 km of scripted harbor traffic, it/they will lose their waypoints and continue in a straight line until they collide with intervening objects such as docks, other units, or land. This is also a quirk relating to SH3 and not GWX.
Does this only apply to harbor traffic or will any ship/convoy traveling in, let's say, mid Atlantic also loose waypoints if we save close to them?
I am asking because just yesterday I saved 60 km from shore but within hydrophone contact (cca. 20 km) from one merchant and when I loaded the game, that ship continued toward shore ant got stuck there.
Thanks.