SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-02-17, 09:50 AM   #1
l02turner
Soundman

Downloads: 167
Uploads: 0
Default Torpedo Realism?

Howdy, I have been running SH4 for several months just getting used to the commands, etc. One thing I have noticed is torpedos not doing as much damage as I thought they were capable of. For instance, I thought 1 torp would sink a Destroyer of the Fletcher class size. But in SH4 it can take 2 or more to sink a Jap destroyer when I am in a Narmal or Gato class US Sub.
Was I being too optimistic in my view of torpedo capability? (Yes I know I am not shooting Fletcher class ships) ;-)
Thx

l02turner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-17, 12:31 PM   #2
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by l02turner View Post
Howdy, I have been running SH4 for several months just getting used to the commands, etc. One thing I have noticed is torpedos not doing as much damage as I thought they were capable of. For instance, I thought 1 torp would sink a Destroyer of the Fletcher class size. But in SH4 it can take 2 or more to sink a Jap destroyer when I am in a Narmal or Gato class US Sub.
Was I being too optimistic in my view of torpedo capability? (Yes I know I am not shooting Fletcher class ships) ;-)
Thx

That's not a Windows 10 issue at all. For some reason when Ubi was setting up the zones for a destroyer, they put a nearly indestructable nose on them. In real life a down the throat shot hitting the nose was the end of the destroyer. In the game you get a magnificent explosion and water spray, then the DD charges out of the spray at full speed toward you. It's very bad for your heart.....
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-17, 08:42 AM   #3
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 64

For those that are using this thread and still having questions, please take a look at this thread.......[TEC] Windows10; Large Address Aware; SH4 Install. This thread is over on the SH4 Fleet Boat Mods Workshop. I don't wish to highjack this thread, but as I've read through it I couldn't help in feeling there's things a Windows 10 user should still do to make his system preform as well as it should. With my system, Windows 10 was a brand new install....not an upgrade from a previous OS (between Windows 7 to 8.1). This install has quirks, yet without extra Properties page tweaking the game runs flawlessly. It should not make a difference how you upgraded to Windows 10, but there are things you need to know when you do.

Large Address Aware is a large part of it, so is knowing what to do with .NetFramework, and the DirectX 12 that's on the OS.

Just thought I'd bring it up.

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote