SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-16-07, 03:55 AM   #1
kakemann
Samurai Navy

Location: Pretty close to the big german cruiser Blücher in Norway
Downloads: 29
Uploads: 0
Default [TEC] How to add new music files or change the music cfg

Here a little walkthrough on how to add music tracks, or changing them in the game.
I have also decribed the whole music.cfg file and the different states:

The first thing you have to do is to convert the files from mp3 or wav to ogg. There are a lot of different programs out there. There is also another thing you might have to change, and that is to adjust the volume for the songs you would like to add. The volume for the stock music files are pretty high. But try without changing it first, maybe you don't have to.

To convert or change the volume level I have used this free program:

Open the: http://www.softpedia.com/get/Multime...o-Editor.shtml)

It can both convert and adjust volume without upgrading it to the full version.

__________________________________________________ _
As I said I used this program so I'll tell you have to use this:
Quote:
* Open the program ALO Audio Editor

* Click on "FILE", "OPEN" and browse for the mp3's or wav's you would like to add to the game.

* The file will open and you will get a graphical view of the volume level for that song.

* After you have opened it, just click "FILE", and "SAVE AS".

* Browse to your Silenthunter 4 installation, and find the: DATA/SOUND/MUSIC directory.

* Choose a easy filename, and make sure you change the "FILE TYPE" to *.ogg.

* Wait until the blue bar on the bottom of the program window has filled up. This indicates the convertion prosess.

* Repeat the steps above for all the files you would like to add to the game.

* Close the program
OK! The file is changed to the right format and placed in the right folder.
Now is the time to add the track to the game.

Quote:
* Open the directory DATA/SOUND/MUSIC and open the file music.cfg
This is the file which tells Silenthunter 4 which tracks to play.
There are 8 STATES which the game reads and plays the music which is placed under the right state in this file. The following text will explain what the different states mean. The music files under each state will be played randomly. Here is an explaination for the different states:
Quote:
* [BEGIN] The state which the game is in when starting a new mission. The game will always start with one of the tracks located in this state.

* [NORMAL] This state is the normal state in the game. After the BEGIN state track has ended, the game will enter [NORMAL] state. It will continue in this state as long as you don't meet any enemy etc.

* [BATTLE] When spotting enemy units and reaching a certain distance from the enemy, the game will enter this state and play the music which is added here.

* [TENSION] This is the state the game will enter if you close the enemy undetected and the enemy suddenly detects you and starts searching for you.

* [HIGH TENSION] This state is not used by the Silent hunter 4 game, so you will never hear these tracks unless you move them to the any of the other states (They fit best under the [TENSION] part). See this thread to see how to fix this.)http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=113470

* [VICTORY] This state is not used by the silent hunter 4 game, so you will never hear these tracks unless you move them to any of the other states. (They fit best under the [NORMAL] part). See this thread to see how to fix this.)http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=113470

* [DEFEAT] This state is not used by the silent hunter 4 game, so you will never hear these tracks unless you move them to any of the other states. (They fit best under the [BEGIN] part). See this thread to see how to fix this.)http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=113470

* [JOY] This state is not used by the silent hunter 4 game, so you will never hear these tracks unless you move them to any of the other states. (They fit best under the [NORMAL] part). See this thread to see how to fix this.)http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=113470
OK! Just place your song underneath the other tracks in the track list. FOREXAMPLE: If you made a file called dasboot1.ogg and wants it to be played in the [TENSION] state. Add it to the track list like this:
Quote:
[TENSION]
Tracks=7
Track1=Tension_1.ogg
Track2=Tension_2.ogg
Track3=Tension_3.ogg
Track4=Tension_4.ogg
Track5=Tension_5.ogg
Track6=Tension_5.ogg
Track7=dasboot1.ogg
I've higlighted the two very important lines here. When adding a file to a list you have to change the first line, so the number of tracks in the list matches this number. So because I've added dasboot1.ogg I have to change the TRACKS=6 to TRACKS=7. Makes sense?

This is it! You have now managed to add one song to your Silent Hunter 4 game.

NOTE: If the volume of the song is too high or too low, you have to use the program ALO music editor (or similar) to change the volume level.

If using the ALO music editor you just have to open the file as described above, highlight the whole track area by clicking and dragging. When you have higlighted the whole track just click "OPERATION" and "AMPLIFY +" or "AMPLIFY -" depending on raising or lowering the volume. When you have reached a nice volume level click on "FILE" and "SAVE".

Remember to back up before altering the music.cfg file or changing the volume level on any file just in case!

Hope this helps someone.

I'm planning to release a music mod fixing the missing songs. I'll probably fix it in a day or so. Will post a link here later when it is finished!

Last edited by kakemann; 03-17-11 at 10:26 AM.
kakemann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-07, 04:15 AM   #2
CaptainCox
Sea Lord

Downloads: 4

Great TUT!, you should add it to the sticky!
Old 05-16-07, 04:18 AM   #3
kakemann
Samurai Navy

Thanks Cox!

I'm not able to do that. Need a moderator to fix it, I guess!
Old 05-16-07, 05:25 AM   #4
CaptainCox
Sea Lord

Downloads: 4

I think just post in that thread and some one would move it up to the list in the 1st post...
Old 05-16-07, 06:05 AM   #5
kakemann
Samurai Navy

Thanks for directing me Captain!
Made a post about it!

Old 05-16-07, 08:28 AM   #6
ATR-42
Commodore

Downloads: 20
Uploads: 6

great work Jon,
I think im going to add the score from Crimson Tide!

ATR-42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-07, 08:43 AM   #7
Jmack
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 23

thanks allot ...
Old 05-16-07, 10:03 AM   #8
ATR-42
Commodore

Jon,
using your sound editor, what did you find was the best way of getting the volumes even on the files?
did you just use your ear? or did you look at the scale on the right of the stock referance files and match the imports to that? (example 'peaking about 17000 units') in the ALO Audio Editor...

Kevin

Old 05-16-07, 11:01 AM   #9
kakemann
Samurai Navy

I plugged in my headphones and did both.

First I opened a couple of the original SH4 music files and checked the peak level.

After that I opened the file to be edited and made a approximate peak level match, forexample 20 0000. I tried to listen closely on my headphones to hear if it sounded like a similar volume level. Then I saved the file.

After I have changed volume for a couple of the new songs I went to the music directory and compared the ones I changed in the music editor program with the original files in SH4 music directory (DATA/SOUND/MUSIC).

If it sounded OK, I would start the game to check in the game itself.
If you have good ears you will be finished with the volume adjustment. If one of the songs for instance still is a bit high or low, you just have to exit the game, find the file and change it so it's perfect!

Sorry if there are some grammar errors. I'm trying to write as good english is I can. Being a member of this forum surely gives me some training!

You're following?
Old 05-16-07, 11:03 AM   #10
kakemann
Samurai Navy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATR-42
great work Jon,
I think im going to add the score from Crimson Tide!
Hmm.. Crimson Tide, eh?

Good soundtrack? Never heard that one!

Maybe I'll try that as well!
Old 05-16-07, 03:50 PM   #11
ATR-42
Commodore

Jon, why do you think they included music that is NOT used by the program???

[HIGH TENSION]

[VICTORY]

[DEFEAT]

[JOY]

doesnt make any sense why they would have the files ready, and the CFG set up for it but yet they are not used???

Old 05-16-07, 04:32 PM   #12
kakemann
Samurai Navy

Some of these ones were actually used in SH3.

[VICTORY] Tracks were used when you had finished a patrol successfully. The screen were you get the patrol statistics used this music.

[DEFEAT] This one was used when your U-boat was sunk at sea at the statistics screen.

[JOY] These tracks were played if you sunk a enemy ship. Joyful short tunes, I must say.

[HIGH TENSION] These was not used in SH3, nor in SH4.

It is strange that they add tracks which are not used in the game. I think it was good that they removed the JOY music when sinking a enemy ship in SH4. That was kind of annoying I think.

Either they have rushed the game out forgetting to add the [JOY], [DEFEAT], and[VICTORY] music to the game. This makes sense when seeing all the other bugs.

The [HIGH TENSION] files are a harder question to answer... They weren't even in the SH3 game. Weird. Well our mod adds the best of these unused tracks, so we are able to enjoy them if we want.

Last edited by kakemann; 05-19-07 at 05:24 AM.
Old 05-20-07, 01:26 PM   #13
Jace11
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 104
Uploads: 1

Something someone may like to try...

I have the limited edition with the CD soundtrack, the music quality is better than the the game. Rip it, convert it to OGG (highest vorbis bitrate etc) and put it back into game. Sounds MUCH nicer than the compressed Casio Keyboard music..
Jace11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-07, 10:35 AM   #14
kakemann
Samurai Navy

Thanks! Nice suggestion. I have the soundtrack as well. Will try it out! Thanks a lot
Old 07-25-07, 06:42 PM   #15
Roger Dodger
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATR-42
Jon, why do you think they included music that is NOT used by the program???

[HIGH TENSION]

[VICTORY]

[DEFEAT]

[JOY]

doesnt make any sense why they would have the files ready, and the CFG set up for it but yet they are not used???
Since the access folders are there, but the game just doesn't make use of them, can music in the folders be called when performing certain actions?

Example:
Click on 'FLANK' speed on the telegraph
Music = [HIGH TENSION]
Plays music from DAS BOOT when they are charging through the Gibralter Straits.

KOOL, eh?

Which part of the program calls for the music file?

LtCdr. Roger Dodger USCG(R)
Roger Dodger is offline   Reply With Quote