SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-31-19, 01:06 PM   #16
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

My Ecozoom Versa arrived today, and it proved to become love on first unpacking.

Manufatcurign qulity looks very solid to me, ver ynice, the thing is 6.6 kg heavy and has a low centre of mass, so does not fall off easily. I aldeady tested the rockjet engines this evening, both with charcoal and wood. The first was a close miss, the second a full success. I know what I dids wriong, so I can live with it: I loaded a boit to little coal, and so I ost heat too early. Thgansk to the good meat qulaity and a 1 minute shower in the microwave, the steak was saved for consummation nevertheless. It was very good meat qulkaity ot my surprise (it was cheap), and so was juicy and the cooking grade still was "medioumn", olike I prefer it.

In the vidoe below I give a visual inspection of the oven and show combinations with different cooking gear. I left out the failed BBQ attempt, and closed with the cooking on fire instead.

The BBQ optionj is a relasity, however do not ignore that this thing is small and doesnot offer you a full sized grilling grid like a Web or somethign of that kind. You can grill one prtion at a time, one piece of meat , sionce the chimney is of that small size, and noit any bigger. If you keep that on m ind, this grill works, and works very safely - but using it will cost you friendships.

This thing satisfies both the balcony hero and garden griller as well as the camping trapper and doomsday prepper. Great gear to have, i do not regret it. Recommended! Just do not consider it a valid item for trekking and hiking, for that it still is too heavy.

Old 08-31-19, 01:41 PM   #17
vienna
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85

Wait... what?...

Oh, grills...

...(damn dyslexia)...

<O>
Old 08-31-19, 05:16 PM   #18
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

They look very interesting indeed.

Those videos made me remember something from my childhood or was it during my teenager year.

Some friends and I was invited by an another friend to some scout event.
We sad around an open fire and there was three or four metal sticks-sorry I don't know what they call this type of connection/building but a kettle hang under the top of this connection/building in a chain.

They, the leader of this scout unit was cooking Hungary Gullasch over open fire.

I have never since then tasted so good Gullasch.

We ate it with flutés baked over open fire.

Markus
mapuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-19, 05:57 PM   #19
Skybird
Soaring

I love Gulasch and can make very good one. Better than my Mom's. But I do it in a pressure cooker.

The video shows that I mad eone big mistake that I afterwards realised. I put in way too much wood. The fire was nit burnign hot and intense enough. You saw the smoke when I added wood to it. The result is plenty of soot on the bottom of the pan and on the top of the chimney. These are things you can only leanr by experince. Never burn more than 3-4 sticks simulataeously, not those five of six I had inside at one point. The fire must burn as hot as possible to create gasification effects. Mine was too lame and too cold still.

I must also experiment whether without that powerbelt it maybe works better. Well, experience comes from practice.
Old 08-31-19, 07:28 PM   #20
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Downloads: 0

Flanked by life and the funeral pyre. Putting on a show for you to see.
August is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-19, 12:30 PM   #21
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10

I made lo mein today and thought about your stir fry. I use a home made stir fry sauce I will share.

1 cup soy sauce, 1/2 cup of fish sauce, 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar (dry sherry works too), 1/4 cup of corn starch, 1 tbsp of sugar, 2 tbsp of sesame oil, and last but least 1 or 2 tsp of ground white pepper. It I've kept it 2 weeks in refrigerator. But I love stir fry and I normally use all of it much sooner.

Shake well before use because the corn starch is key. It helps the sauce cling to the food rather than draining to the bottom of the pan and also gives it a nice glossy appetizing look.

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.
Rockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-19, 01:03 PM   #22
Skybird
Soaring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockstar View Post
I made lo mein today and thought about your stir fry. I use a home made stir fry sauce I will share.

1 cup soy sauce, 1/2 cup of fish sauce, 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar (dry sherry works too), 1/4 cup of corn starch, 1 tbsp of sugar, 2 tbsp of sesame oil, and last but least 1 or 2 tsp of ground white pepper. It I've kept it 2 weeks in refrigerator. But I love stir fry and I normally use all of it much sooner.

Shake well before use because the corn starch is key. It helps the sauce cling to the food rather than draining to the bottom of the pan and also gives it a nice glossy appetizing look.
Thats pretty much like how I do it often. I use Chinese oyster sauce instead of fish sauce. Ketjap Manis (that is ordinary soy sauce with a strong sweetness added, Sherry (replacing plum wine which is not as easy to be found and makes no too big difference anyway), more sugar, chilli powder, stark, roasted sesam oil (roasted it must be, but it is to b added afetr cooking,k it is no oil for frying use, it smokes easily), one can also add chicken soup. Chinese/asian base recipe.

Or try this:
In a wok or cast iron pan, cut onions and stir them in peanut oil just until they start to turn brown. Add Ingwer as you like, but at least use some Ingwer. Immediately add spinacci (else Ingwer turns brown, and that is no good), if frozen a pack of around 300-400 gr, complete leaves (important!!), no cut spinnaci. Stir like crazy in hottest oil for around 2 minutes. Constantly stir stir, stir, stir, until it turns to chnage cokour to dark. Add a sauce of 3 TS Chinese/Japanese soy sauce (no sweetness, no Indoensian sauce), 3 TS of strong salty chicken soup, stir for another two mionutes, then spoill some sherry over it, and leave it for another 30 seocndsal. Then serve with white rice.

Thats an simple original Chinese recipe. Beside pizza spinacci, this is my favourite way to eat spinacci. Usually I do not even like like spinacci! But for this dish I kill.