SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-01-20, 05:57 PM   #1
zeshoot
Swabbie

Downloads: 39
Uploads: 0
Default SH3 Commander - save issue

Hi there Lads. I am close to give up at this point. Got this issue.
I cannot load the game either via SH3Commander or normal exec. Whenever I do save during patrol, either 500 km off the shore, no ships visible around, no contacts, calm weather, surfaced - it doesn't matter. Game won't load. It's crashing to desktop each f!(*@&ng time...Only save I can load is at the very beginning - port or mid Nordsee - before I even sunk any ship. After that - each time. Game crashes when reaching 100% loading bar.
It's impossible to play like that since one patrol can take quite the time (like IX career on US coast patrols...).
Anyone know's what's up with that bug? Anyone had similar issue and happened to fix it?
My mods are 99% setup of Wolfpack345(his IX career, except different Uboat skin). Hsie, tycho, chrono patches, game works, plays, I can start new career, single mission.
All that DOESN"T work is loading saved patrol in my career...
Will appreciate any help, have a blast of a day You all!!!
Thnx
zeshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-20, 07:13 PM   #2
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 300

You may have luck by reverting to older saves. Sometimes the cause of the bug happened at an earlier event in the game. Like saving when you are not aware that there were contacts outside of visual range. (To be sure, do a hydrophone check before saving by listening yourself. Then you can be sure nothing is within 34 km radius) Loosing a savegame is less of a loss than the entire patrol. If you go on a long patrol, make sure you make unique saves.

Did you change mods along the course of this patrol? If you did, there might be a conflict with the savegame. Either restore the mod order and hope the savegames start working again, or just begin a new carreer based on the mod status quo. As a rule, never make changes to the game while in a patrol! Some pure graphical file changes might be an exception.

Also, for SH3 Commander. Make sure it is not installed in the default location in Program Files. Commander makes backupfiles of the changes and stores this in it's root folder. Windows does not like it if programs change files in the protected Program Files folder and reverts those file changes. Installing it elsewere (like C:\Games\SH3Commander) avoids those issues.

SH3 Commander also has the rollback function. Can you provide more information on what it shows before you start the game from SH3 Commander? I'm a bit rusty on how to restore synchronisation between it and the game but it may give others a clue.

Last edited by Pisces; 05-01-20 at 07:25 PM.
Pisces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-20, 08:06 PM   #3
Texas Red
Fastest Gun Around

Downloads: 527
Uploads: 5

Welcome back to Subsim, zeshoot, after a 6 year silent run!

Now, I may be wrong, but who cares?

I'm not very active on the forums anymore. If you have a question, please DM me and I'll respond ASAP!
Texas Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-20, 03:06 AM   #4
John Pancoast
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 490
Uploads: 4

Is just pausing the game an option vs. saving ? On a general note, the more modded a game is, the more problems it will have with saved games.

In my experience anyway. Some guys have a mod list that rivals "War and Peace" and then wonder why their game is unstable.
Old 05-02-20, 03:09 AM   #5
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 300

I once had SH3 kept paused for more than a day. Then Windows 10 decided that it was long enough and automatically rebooted to apply an update. So take your chances of that.
Old 05-02-20, 03:39 AM   #6
John Pancoast
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pisces View Post
I once had SH3 kept paused for more than a day. Then Windows 10 decided that it was long enough and automatically rebooted to apply an update. So take your chances of that.
True, but one can always change how updates are handled. I have mine set to a non-automatic "I get notices but nothing happens unless I approve it" type of setting.
I use pausing more than saving, if for no other reason than to save restart time and the funky way SH3 can handle weather.
Old 05-02-20, 06:52 AM   #7
BigWalleye
Sea Lord

Downloads: 465

Zeshoot, do you save each time using a different save filename? If you use the same filename each time, SH3 will overwrite the existing file. When it does so, it has been known to not play nice, resulting in a corrupted file. Try using a unique filename for each save. ( save1, save2 is enough.)

Hope that helps. Good luck and good hunting.
BigWalleye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-20, 07:01 AM   #8
blackswan40
LSH-2022 Liaison Officer

Downloads: 589
Uploads: 30

Hi zeshoot Have you downloaded the 4 gig patch and the Commander Mod Config File

4Gig Patch Download Link

https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/dow...o=file&id=2888

Commander Mod Config File Download Link

http://www.thegreywolves.com/downloads/

when i save my SH3 Carrer i use the wardate and time as my game save name.

8-9-39-18:00
12-9-39-08:31

Saving your SH3 Game patrol Sessions like that you know just by the save date name which save equates to what date.

At Subsim the Pride Runs Deep we look after our Own Salute

Last edited by blackswan40; 05-02-20 at 07:17 AM.
blackswan40 is online   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-20, 01:16 PM   #9
U301
Officer

Downloads: 782

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackswan40 View Post

When I save my SH3 Career I use the war date and time as my game save name.

8-9-39-18:00
12-9-39-08:31

Saving your SH3 Game patrol Sessions like that you know just by the save date name which save equates to what date.

At Subsim the Pride Runs Deep we look after our Own Salute
Good idea.

KUrtz
U301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-20, 04:20 PM   #10
zeshoot
Swabbie

whoooa, thnx a lot Gents for all the comments and help. I do run some mods, I did checked them with Wolfpack345 (form YT). So I run same mod he runs. He did not had any issue so far.
Also I do run Hsie patch which has 4gb included. I also save games on different names all the times and if I want to save under same name - I simply delete the one before instead of overwriting (agree on that saves like to corrupt when You do them over and over at the same file).
In the end I did reload the last save succesfully after rolling back via SH3commander. I really dunno what was the issue. Do I have to do rollback each time before I close the game or whenever I try to boot it up before playing? Or that was lucky catch?
I do my saves on open seas, surfaced, on deck, no radio/sonar/visual contacts, away from land at least 100 km.
Anyhow, hope that won't happen again or if it does - rolling back will save my arse xD
Hope You have a great of a day Champs! Cheers
Old 05-03-20, 04:29 PM   #11
John Pancoast
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeshoot View Post
whoooa, thnx a lot Gents for all the comments and help. I do run some mods, I did checked them with Wolfpack345 (form YT). So I run same mod he runs. He did not had any issue so far.
Also I do run Hsie patch which has 4gb included. I also save games on different names all the times and if I want to save under same name - I simply delete the one before instead of overwriting (agree on that saves like to corrupt when You do them over and over at the same file).
In the end I did reload the last save succesfully after rolling back via SH3commander. I really dunno what was the issue. Do I have to do rollback each time before I close the game or whenever I try to boot it up before playing? Or that was lucky catch?
I do my saves on open seas, surfaced, on deck, no radio/sonar/visual contacts, away from land at least 100 km.
Anyhow, hope that won't happen again or if it does - rolling back will save my arse xD
Hope You have a great of a day Champs! Cheers
You should have the "Rollback SH3 Commander upon exiting" (or whatever it says) option checked in SH3 Commander.
Then, yes, it will rollback every time you quit it which is a good thing.

Also if you're not already, I've always had the best luck saving when in the command room screen only.
Old 05-03-20, 05:28 PM   #12
zeshoot
Swabbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Pancoast View Post
You should have the "Rollback SH3 Commander upon exiting" (or whatever it says) option checked in SH3 Commander.
Then, yes, it will rollback every time you quit it which is a good thing.

Also if you're not already, I've always had the best luck saving when in the command room screen only.
You mean that I should check rollback automatically when exiting SH3? And that will help? I did read the manual and what I thought it was an option whenever You change some mods, not whenever You save/quit the game?
And à propos saving. Some Lads saying - do not save underwater, some says do not save on rough weather/storm, not close to other ships, not close to a shore. I really am confused with all that messyness of game save option
But I will give it a go Your way and check it (F2 command room save, surfaced or doesn't matter?)
Thnx Sir!
Old 05-03-20, 06:00 PM   #13
John Pancoast
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeshoot View Post
You mean that I should check rollback automatically when exiting SH3? And that will help? I did read the manual and what I thought it was an option whenever You change some mods, not whenever You save/quit the game?
And à propos saving. Some Lads saying - do not save underwater, some says do not save on rough weather/storm, not close to other ships, not close to a shore. I really am confused with all that messyness of game save option
But I will give it a go Your way and check it (F2 command room save, surfaced or doesn't matter?)
Thnx Sir!

Yes, that's the option to check. It's an option, but a recommended one to use.

Re saving, yes, keep using the items you mention, only just access the saved game menu option in the Command Room; not at any other screen.

Save when:
- not underwater.
- when no other ships/other units are in the vicinity.
- at least 50 km from land.
- from the command room only.

Saving during weather shouldn't matter; it never has for me anyway. Some don't do it during a storm because when you restart the game, the weather change "clock" starts all over so the storm may last longer before the weather changes then.
But I've not heard nor experienced it affecting a save file in any way.
Old 05-03-20, 07:18 PM   #14
Doolar
Expert Shipsinker

Downloads: 360
Default re

my save conditions are the same as John Pancoast, but I add :
gramophone off and at least 10 minutes of no time compression (1x). sometimes its tuff to get 10 minutes but it happens
Doolar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-20, 11:23 AM   #15
don1reed
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 910

@ Blackswan40:

Question:

I need some help here. My version of SH3 GWX only allows 9 digits for naming a saved session. How were you able to name your sessions with 12 and 13 digits respectively? Is there a MOD out there for that?

Tnx

During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.

~ George Orwell
don1reed is offline   Reply With Quote