Forget password? Reset here

Closed Thread

Old 10-12-19, 06:43 AM   #11296
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn will stand down if he does not win power at the next general election, his close ally John McDonnell has said.

The shadow chancellor told GQ magazine he "can't see" how Mr Corbyn could stay on if he lost for a second time.

But Mr McDonnell ruled himself out as a successor, saying the next leader should be a woman.

When asked about the next election, a source close to Mr Corbyn said: "We're in it to win it."
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-50016384
I reckon Momentum will be the one to decide that, certainly not John McDonnell.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Old 10-12-19, 01:22 PM   #11297
JU_88
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 11
Uploads: 0

If 'its up to Momentum' then Labour is not coming back from the fringes any time soon.
Game over

Last edited by JU_88; 10-12-19 at 03:30 PM.
Old 10-12-19, 04:54 PM   #11298
STEED
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by JU_88 View Post
If 'its up to Momentum' then Labour is not coming back from the fringes any time soon.
Game over
Keep the red flag flying....and here is your little red book.

To borrow Davros saying...I NAME YOU CHIBNALL THE DESTROYER OF DR WHO YOU KILLED IT!
Old 10-12-19, 05:01 PM   #11299
STEED
Lucky Jack

Quote:
Jess Phillips says she could consider bid for Labour leader if Corbyn stands down

The Birmingham Yardley MP says she "might" stand to replace Jeremy Corbyn if she thinks she can make a difference.
https://news.sky.com/story/phillips-...-down-11833524

To borrow Davros saying...I NAME YOU CHIBNALL THE DESTROYER OF DR WHO YOU KILLED IT!
Old 10-12-19, 07:52 PM   #11300
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Should I really believe that there is an Irish deal and breakthrough in the making...? Means to compromise sovereignty over the Northern Irish province, of course. Means also that Labour and many others in the House must frantically scramble and look for anyother excuse by which to block Brexit becoming real.

It is also no self-runner that the head of states in the EU will agree to any such deal.

No, I do not believe this becoming real before I see it. It only means that somebody had pushed a panic button.
Old 10-12-19, 08:30 PM   #11301
JU_88
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEED View Post
Oh god, that would be... different.
Old 10-13-19, 04:51 AM   #11302
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
Game over
Rgr that.

Old 10-13-19, 04:54 AM   #11303
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEED View Post
I put her in the same category as Diane Abbott, always worth listening to but only as 'entertainment value'

Old 10-13-19, 04:54 AM   #11304
STEED
Lucky Jack

Quote:
Oh god, that would be... different.
Fish wife shouting out..."Come on Boris let's be having it" while bashing a kipper on the despatch box.

Old 10-13-19, 04:57 AM   #11305
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
Nicola Sturgeon has warned Jeremy Corbyn not to "pick up the phone" and ask the SNP to put him in government unless he backs an independence vote.

The Scottish first minister said she was in favour of removing Boris Johnson from office and holding an election.

But she said her backing for a "progressive alliance" relied on a deal to hold an independence referendum.

Mr Corbyn has said he does not think a new independence poll is "a good idea", but has not ruled out allowing one.

Ms Sturgeon wants to hold a new vote in the second half of 2020, but has not yet asked UK ministers to allow it.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotla...itics-50013578
The vipers begin to conspire in the shaded corners of the room.

Old 10-13-19, 05:01 AM   #11306
STEED
Lucky Jack

^United....my sexy butt they are not.

Old 10-13-19, 05:10 AM   #11307
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
Boris Johnson will update the cabinet later, as UK and EU officials hold talks on getting a deal done in time for the 31 October Brexit deadline.

Commons Leader Jacob Rees-Mogg said "compromise" was inevitable and the PM could be "trusted" to get an agreement acceptable to Leave-backing MPs.

Parliament will meet on Saturday and vote on any deal achieved by Mr Johnson at a Brussels summit this week.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-50032500
I am told by a personal informant that there is a growing number of Tory MP's who remain opposed to anything he comes forward with.

Old 10-13-19, 06:37 AM   #11308
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
Jeremy Corbyn has poured cold water on the idea that Labour could support a bid to attach a referendum to Boris Johnson’s Brexit deal at next Saturday’s emergency sitting of parliament.

The prime minister is expected to convene the House of Commons for a rare Saturday session, either to ask for support for his Brexit deal, if he succeeds in striking one at this week’s European council – or to request that MPs back a no-deal exit at the end of this month.

Pro-remain MPs hope to amend any motion put by the government, to insist that Johnson’s deal be subject to a public vote.

But asked by Sophy Ridge on Sky News whether some MPs would be more likely to support a deal if it would be put to a referendum, Corbyn said, “I think many in parliament, not necessarily Labour MPs but others, might be inclined to support it, because they don’t really agree with the deal – but I would caution them on this.”

He said he would instead be keen to see a Labour-style Brexit deal, including a customs union, and guarantees on workers’ rights and environmental standards, put to the public.

Corbyn’s comments appeared to put him at odds with the shadow Brexit secretary, Keir Starmer, who said in a speech in Glasgow on Saturday that Labour would press for any deal Johnson secures to be subject to a referendum.
https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/brexi...id=mailsignout
It would appear that the unions alongside Momentum are totally pulling all of Steptoes strings now.

Surely even he can see that he is driving voters away from Labour during the Tories most weakest times.

Old 10-14-19, 05:52 AM   #11309
STEED
Lucky Jack

Well here we go the state opening of parliament and look at bojo, looks like he's got a new baby rattle with that smug look on his face. Oh look it's that un-democrastic woman swinson pinching bojo's butt and finally the unspeakable one looking like a buffoon with a master plan for momentum to take over labour 100%.

Same old guff same old pomp same old same old.......

Old 10-14-19, 08:17 AM   #11310
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
Boris Johnson's government has set out "ambitious" policies on crime, health, the environment and Brexit in a Queen's Speech that opposition parties have dismissed as an "election manifesto".
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-50039587
Not a bad Queens Speech as far as they go but I think the BBC's Laura Kuenssberg sums it up succinctly below.

Quote:
That was a very long shopping list of things, but the unsaid reality, of course, is that the biggest question hanging over it all is Brexit.

The Queen may have said the government's priority is to leave on 31 October, but there's no way anyone in this square mile can be sure that happens. Whether it happens - and how it happens - is a much bigger influence than anything we've just heard being said.

In many ways, it's a Queen's Speech from a parallel universe - one in which Boris Johnson gets his way. Where he definitely gets his deal with Brussels by the end of this week, he definitely gets it through Parliament on Saturday and definitely gets all the Brexit legislation passed. It's also a world in which he definitely gets the general election he wants in the next few weeks and then definitely gets a Conservative majority.

We shouldn't dismiss this speech - it does mean something, but what it means is this is what we are likely to see as the basis for a Conservative manifesto whenever that election does come.

Closed Thread

Tags
british, politics