SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-26-06, 06:28 PM   #1
GreyOctober
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 30
Uploads: 0
Default sound.act crash!!

This is doing my head in! The third time im getting booted back to desktop with an error message pointing to the sound.act file. Every time i crashed i was in periscope view, but i dont know if this is connected (it cant be, in my mind). I have various sound replacements, if it matters. Any fixes?

Cheers!
Old 05-26-06, 06:29 PM   #2
Ducimus
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 67
Uploads: 2

The question i would be asking myself is: when did i notice this behavior, and did i do any modifications just before that time period?
Ducimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-06, 06:38 PM   #3
kiwi_2005
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 223
Uploads: 1

Quote:
The question i would be asking myself is: when did i notice this behavior, and did i do any modifications just before that time period?
And if the answer is yes then are you using the Generic Mod Enabler written by Jaeson Jones.
http://members.iinet.net.au/~jscones.../products.html

Never leave port without it

Those who can't laugh at themselves leave the job to others.

kiwi_2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-06, 06:49 AM   #4
U-Schultz
Medic

Downloads: 73

Whenever I get that eror message its related to a bad, or imcompatable, sound file.

The last time it was a 4 kb blank (or corrupted though I don't know how) sound file of the sonar operator saying "Bearing..."

If you have custom sounds going try putting the stock ones back as a test.
Old 05-27-06, 05:06 PM   #5
Sailor Steve
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Do you have a real sound card, or use onboard sound? I get that occassionally too, and have been told that's the problem. My only solution is to save at least every game day and every time a torpedo hits, before the target ship sinks (that seems to be when I get it the worst).
Old 11-18-06, 08:02 AM   #6
Tuddley3
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 170

Does anyone have a fresh link that Kiwi posted, his no longer works ? Or better yet, can anyone tell me what the fix is for this. I've been getting this, and another error report pointing to sh3.dll(I think, I can't remember, but if the other one pops back up, I'll update you techs) but they both happen after Initialization.

Maybe I should try U-Snafu's idea also, I have noticed this does not happen all the time. Sometimes I get CTD/Error Report just minutes after departing port. So maybe it is a corrupt Crew Member sound file. Can anyone clarify this ?
Tuddley3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-06, 08:12 AM   #7
stabiz
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 14

This error search is often so complicated that its easier to just uninstall/reinstall. Thats what I do.
Old 11-18-06, 09:20 AM   #8
Tuddley3
Grey Wolf

I actually did, mainly because my ports disapeared. After reinstalling, the ports showed back up, but now after 3 tries, I still get crash. So, I'm just going through my mods one by one, replacing them with the Stock sounds. I guess eventually I'll find it.:hmm:
Old 11-18-06, 10:12 AM   #9
Tuddley3
Grey Wolf

I believe I've found the problem in Sailor Steve's Sound Mod. So I will try to install his mod again after removing the Speeches folder from it.
Old 11-18-06, 02:23 PM   #10
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

I hope that's not it, because of course I've been using it for more than a year and have never had that problem.

I take that back; I've had sound.act failures, but only when a ship sinks. I took to saving right after a torpedo hits, so I can reload at that point. If you find out what specifically causes it I'll be glad to know.

p.s. I've also been told it's the onboard sound driver and I need a real sound card.
Old 11-18-06, 02:26 PM   #11
Respenus
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 0

I always make secundary install/copiesof the game. I have a vanilla 1.1b and then for every mod I use I just copy the folder. Total time till game efectivness, around 10min copy time (plus a couple more for SH3Commander).

Respenus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-06, 08:41 PM   #12
Tuddley3
Grey Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve
I hope that's not it, because of course I've been using it for more than a year and have never had that problem.

I take that back; I've had sound.act failures, but only when a ship sinks. I took to saving right after a torpedo hits, so I can reload at that point. If you find out what specifically causes it I'll be glad to know.

p.s. I've also been told it's the onboard sound driver and I need a real sound card.
Just to let you know Sailor Steve, I'm not knocking your mod, I actually love it. I will put it back together piece by piece and let you know if I find out which file is causing this crash.

I also installed (I forget his name who put this one together) the NeuSound mod(not another The Boat Mod) also.

So one step at a time.

To respond to Respenus , I have a complete Data folder backup, and am transferring my mods to DVD to clear some disk space. Although, I have noticed a few things can't be placed on DVD( I am using Memorex CD-R recordable) such as I get a popup warning some Thumbs files(that look like dll files with the little gears on them) may not be copied. I havent tested them yet to see if they were successfully saved to the CD-R.

Last edited by Tuddley3; 11-18-06 at 08:51 PM.
Old 11-22-06, 09:24 AM   #13
AS
中国水兵

Downloads: 135

I had RealTek onboard sound, which is quite popular with Acer-PCs, and it had problems with some of the .ogg speech files. So I installed a "real" soundcard (a cheap one!) and now it works fine. I still have occassional crashes, when about 30 or 40 km off from harbour.

If you create your own .ogg-files make sure to choose "variable bitrate". Besides, Mono-files seem to be more reliable than stereo (two-channel) files.

Cheers, AS
Old 02-19-11, 05:05 PM   #14
Kpt. Schaker
Seaman

Downloads: 145
Uploads: 2
Default SAME HERE!

Recently I replaced sound files in speech.ogg and sound wave effects 3 days ago. I been crashing when i torpedo a ship and watching the fire works and explosions begin. Or 20km near active port arriving at the English Channel! Very Frustrating, It runs GWX3.0 without crashes and when I swap my a combination of Thompsen's sound pack v3.2 with DSBM for SH3 which adds sounds from DAS Boot I think!. That's when crashing all started when I swapped from the 9 folders the cheers1.ogg-cheers4.ogg for the silent ones on DSBM and the dive sequence wave!
Kpt. Schaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-11, 12:13 AM   #15
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Welcome aboard, but is there some reason you brought back a five-year-old thread? In this case a new one would have been more appropriate.

I don't use any of Thomsen's sounds, but DBSM is my baby and I have no problems with it. What are your system specs? What type of sound card?

If it's crashing when you see fireworks and explosions it may not be sound related. Are you getting the error message 'Sound.act'?

We need more information.