SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-26-10, 10:19 AM   #661
Fish40
The Old Man

Downloads: 146
Uploads: 0

WOW! Is that a new grumbling diesel engine sound I hear? Started new patrol: Jan,42. Sargo class based in Java. Thanks Luke and the rest of the team!
Fish40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-10, 11:31 AM   #662
Fish40
The Old Man

Downloads: 146

I just noticed something. My sonar station lacks the new label tags from the previous version. I'm talking about the " Starbord Projector" label which is next to the green indicator light. The labels are blank again. Same for the Radar station. I have the range numbers, but the tag below that used to have info on it. Now it's blank.

OK, I tested one of the single missions in a later model sub, and all the labels are there. Could it be an earlier model sonar lacks the labels? Can someone verify please. Thanks alot.
Fish40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-10, 01:41 PM   #663
TH0R
XO

Downloads: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish40 View Post
WOW! Is that a new grumbling diesel engine sound I hear? Started new patrol: Jan,42. Sargo class based in Java. Thanks Luke and the rest of the team!
Yes, the latest patch features brand new engine sound, best I've heared so far.

Quote:
I just noticed something. My sonar station lacks the new label tags from the previous version. I'm talking about the " Starbord Projector" label which is next to the green indicator light. The labels are blank again. Same for the Radar station. I have the range numbers, but the tag below that used to have info on it. Now it's blank.

OK, I tested one of the single missions in a later model sub, and all the labels are there. Could it be an earlier model sonar lacks the labels? Can someone verify please. Thanks alot.
Some boats received THIS MOD, and some didn't due to incompatibility. Early boast like Sargo didn't get it.
Old 04-26-10, 11:23 PM   #664
Buddahaid
Shark above Space Chicken

Downloads: 160

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the Apr23 Patch was going to solve the Narwhal crew problem.

My mods are as:
RFB_2.0
RFB_2.0_Patch_23April2010
RSRDC_RFB_V575
RSRDC_V%xx_Patch1
New Narwhal K v 1.0

I still have no crew using Narwhal.

"Tomorrow belongs to those who can hear it coming."
David Bowie
Buddahaid is online   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-10, 04:19 AM   #665
TH0R
XO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddahaid View Post
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the Apr23 Patch was going to solve the Narwhal crew problem.
RFB patch for the Donation Narwhal will be a separate download. As I understand it, Luke is now working on it.
Old 04-27-10, 05:04 AM   #666
LukeFF
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 41
Uploads: 5

Quote:
Yep. It's taken from Red Orchestra.

ROW Sound Effects Contributor
RFB Team Leader
LukeFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-10, 05:11 AM   #667
LukeFF
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewCaptain View Post
It seems that the speech set #1 is the only one being used with RFB. There's no voice variety. Most of the time the DO, OOD and helmsman use the same voice.
It's just the way the game randomizes the voices for each crewman. All the different speech sets can be and are used in RFB.

RFB Team Leader
Old 04-27-10, 10:31 AM   #668
SkyBaron
Lieutenant

Downloads: 673
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeFF View Post
It's just the way the game randomizes the voices for each crewman. All the different speech sets can be and are used in RFB.

Luke, thanks for answering. I guess there's something wrong with my installation then. I ran a test using a program called "Process Monitor" to log what files are being accessed from the sound\speech folder and sure enough only voice set #1 was being used. It didn't matter what mission I chose, what time I started my career or what boat I used. I only have RFB + latest patch installed:

I have multiple SH4 installations using TMO and RFB. I did the same test with TMO and it works just fine. It has more voice randomization, for example in a single mission it would have ChE from set #1, helmsman(using ChE voice) from set #4, NaO from set #3, and WaO from set #2. Maybe TMO has a better speech implementation and RFB uses the default one. I wouldn't know because I never played vanilla SH4.

I'm not a "modder" so this is just a guess but I also noticed that the file CrewMembers.upc has the value Voice= assigned to different numbers in TMO and assigned to NULL in RFB. Would that have anything to do with the choice of which voice to use?

I started playing TMO before trying RFB so maybe I just got used to hearing my crew with different voices This is in no way a deal breaker, it's probably just a personal preference. Like I said I really enjoy all the RFB improvements to the game, I was just hoping there was a tweak or something for the voices.
SkyBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-10, 03:14 PM   #669
berobispo
Helmsman

Downloads: 174
Uploads: 4

is it just me or do other have people have their porpoise boats' bow planes being vertical when submerged? i.e. they don't come down, though seem to work properly, diving times and behaviour as before. don't have the issue with other boats.

rfb 2.0
latest patch
rsrd 575
rsrd 5xx
berobispo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-10, 04:33 PM   #670
TH0R
XO

Quote:
Originally Posted by berobispo View Post
is it just me or do other have people have their porpoise boats' bow planes being vertical when submerged? i.e. they don't come down, though seem to work properly, diving times and behaviour as before. don't have the issue with other boats.

rfb 2.0
latest patch
rsrd 575
rsrd 5xx
That usually happens when you use high TC. Just save the game and reload, and the bow planes will extract-retract as they should. Nothing to worry about. This bug has been present ever since I started playing SH4.
Old 04-28-10, 12:54 PM   #671
berobispo
Helmsman

thanks! you're right, solved the "problem". another thing: I just started my second patrol, late december 1941 in Manila. Already west of Luzon I was DC'ed by a Catalina airplane, flooding etc., didn't sink. I had the gorgeous plan to head due east to shallow waters and repair my boat bottomed. This didn't go as planned. It is possible to bottom your boat in RFB 2.0 without causing continous damage? At the moment I'm still unsure whether to proceed to my patrol area or to retreat to Java, with one engine set damaged 0.15 and not being able to repair them. Also my deck gun is damaged 0.54, I guess no repairing here either and I do need it because of lots of faulty torpedoes to be expected

Also, Manila lost it's tilted anchor and no other base has one. Will I be able to end my patrol in a base of my choice?

thanks!

RFB2.0
latest patch RFB
RSRD 575
RSRD 5xx

edit: ...read the manual...bottoming is NOT advised - would be nice and give a great feeling to bottom your boat repairing damage that might have sunk your boat in deep water, I was forced to re-enact DAS BOOT once in SH3 GWX3 on the continental shelf north of Ireland, felt cool ;-)

but still no idea about the possibility of ending my patrol

Last edited by berobispo; 04-28-10 at 01:25 PM.
Old 04-28-10, 01:37 PM   #672
TH0R
XO

Yeah bottoming isn't a good idea...

Did you say you got bombed by a Catalina plane??

As for finishing the patrol - you can do that only in the home port. In other ports you can refuel / rearm. But not end the patrol.

Best of luck getting home
Old 04-28-10, 01:52 PM   #673
berobispo
Helmsman

I don't know if Catalina is the right word, it was an airplane that looked like it could land/take off from water. it quite probably wasn't american, though
Old 05-02-10, 01:55 PM   #674
Bilge_Rat
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 344

I tried the latest version, RFB 2/apr 23 patch + RSRDC/RFB patch and noticed an odd issue. In the USS Albacore single mission, 2 IJN DDs which were hunting for my boat blew themselves up with their own DCs:

Old 05-04-10, 03:21 AM   #675
LukeFF
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilge_Rat View Post
I tried the latest version, RFB 2/apr 23 patch + RSRDC/RFB patch and noticed an odd issue. In the USS Albacore single mission, 2 IJN DDs which were hunting for my boat blew themselves up with their own DCs:
How deep were you when this happened?

RFB Team Leader