SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Current crop of subsims & naval games > COLD WATERS
Forget password? Reset here

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-23-18, 08:40 AM   #1
GoldenRivet
Subsim Aviator

Downloads: 146
Uploads: 0

Default Where Cold Waters Drops the Ball

I love killerfish games, and on the whole i have enjoyed playing cold waters. huge fan of Atlantic Fleet.

but IMHO, Cold Waters loses a lot of its playability in the fact that largely, it is a torpedo dodging simulator.

Where i have always been a fan of Subsims is in the cat and mouse element of the game, sneaking around, avoiding detection, being found, throwing them off the trail and repeating the process.

It seems Cold Waters is a constant and repetitive case of 1. Spawn 2. Detect the enemy 3. Enemy detects you 4. everyone fills the sea with torpedoes and we all run for our lives

initially, i chocked it up to my own experience level, rookie mistakes getting me detected etc.

but then i realized, more often than not... I am being detected within 30 seconds of spawning out.

"launch transient bearing 340°" is something that is then repeated on the order of a dozen times, and i find myself spending the next ten minutes of play time desperately maneuvering to avoid a gambit of deadly enemy weapons, while trying to slow my speed enough during this twisting, turning, diving and ascending melee so i can fire off a single blind snapshot in the direction of my enemy.

now bear in mind, Im no casual subsimmer. I've experienced the mechanics of subsims good and bad since these games were barely a 2D three color interface, so i am no stranger to low aspect ratio, thermal layers, sound propagation etc. and, in Cold Waters, i feel that i have figured out pretty well how to "steer" my torpedoes to places afar before turning them in on surface groups to "trick" them into thinking the shot was fired from over there instead of over here.

but i find that often, with Cold Waters, I barely have time to issue my first orders after spawning before active sonar bombards me from 6 different directions, and weapons of every caliber are brought to bear on my position with stunning accuracy.

and dont get me started on airplanes. I could be near the bottom at 1800 ft deep, ultra quiet, 1 knot ahead creep speed... depth charge, right down the hatch

If cold waters is even 10% a reflection of the reality of modern submarine warfare... i contend that when WWIII opens up, the naval element will be decided in a matter of 60 minutes or less, globally.

after some time away from home for work, i fired it up last night...

then i said to my wife "Now i remember why i stopped playing this game"