SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-16-20, 10:38 AM   #3331
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna
I think the only teaching I'd be proficient at these days would be drinking
U would make a splendid "naked dead guy" victim dragged from the Tyne on the Vera detective show or a background extra in the police station scenes. Filmed in your location! We used real fire and police extras on Trauma! Plus you'd be good at set security when shooting in public. My wife loves the Brit crime show but particularly loves crusty ol Vera, played by BRENDA BLETHYN,...age 74!!! and her whisky bottle! She never misses a show. When my wife retired, her opposing attorney(s) gave her a very expensive bottle of bourbon....< next stop: the distilleries!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"

Last edited by Aktungbby; 10-16-20 at 01:42 PM.
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-20, 10:46 AM   #3332
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktungbby View Post
U would make a splendid "naked dead guy" victim dragged from the Tyne on the Vera detective show or a background extra in the police station scenes. Filmed in your location! We used real fire and police extras on Trauma! Plus you'd be good at set security when shooting in public. My wife loves the Brit crime show but particularly loves crusty ol Vera, played by BRENDA BLETHYN,...age 74!!! and her whisky bottle! She never misses a show. When my wife retired, her opposing attorney(s) gave her a very expensive bottle of bourbon....
One of the wife's favourite shows too.

On the odd occasion she recognises the area of a scene or very rarely recognises an extra her face lights up (sad bugga).

One of the episodes was filmed less than a mile of here.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-20, 11:25 AM   #3333
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eichhörnchen View Post
I just started applying for a 'proper' job, since it seems I'll never paint for a living again

First application put in last week and I already got an email back asking me in for a chat... I'm surprised and chuffed, since it was my first application and even getting an interview is something from what I've been hearing about the world of work these days

The post is "Educational Support Worker" with special needs kids and young adults, so I made sure they knew all about my own boy. Fingers crossed...
With your son in mind, perhaps you could teach disiabled kids art and develope their creative abilities...the world needs another Pollock- painting featured in The Accountant with Ben Affleck. My favorite flik: guns and Aspergers! My watercolor painter mom made sure I did nothing but after-school 6th grade+ private art lessons incl. 3 years' drafting in highschool and drawing in college to satisfy art requirement for BA... My siblings still think I'm "lightly teched "!!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"

Last edited by Aktungbby; 10-16-20 at 12:09 PM.
Old 10-16-20, 12:07 PM   #3334
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
It would appear boredom is winning the personal battle I'm experiencing with the seemingly endless amount of time I currently find myself trying to come to grips with during permanent retirement so yesterday I walked down the towns high street and found myself 'window gazing' whilst waiting for the wife who was in the hairdressers.

As I passed the local British Heart Foundation charity shop, a large former supermarket that sells all manner of items such as furniture and electrical goods, I noticed a pavement board at the entrance advertising positions for volunteers so I popped in and the lady manager was very polite and helpful. She gave me a booklet with different positions they are looking to fill so I might soon find myself being one of their van drivers or warehousemen.

Anything to put some time in.
You mean to span the time until the wife comes out of the hairdressers?

Seriously, maybe this is a good idea, and it serves a good purpose

edit: i see this all around me.. few retired people who are still in good shape can take "doing nothing" with the time suddenly at hand.

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.

Last edited by Catfish; 10-16-20 at 12:16 PM.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-20, 12:09 PM   #3335
Catfish

@u crank: So you did it and your son just watched?

Good work!

Old 10-16-20, 12:24 PM   #3336
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
You mean to span the time until the wife comes out of the hairdressers?

Seriously, maybe this is a good idea, and it serves a good purpose

edit: i see this all around me.. few retired people who are still in good shape can take "doing nothing" with the time suddenly at hand.
I rang the manager today and asked what positions were available and she said "They all are" so I asked about driving a truck or van to be told their drivers are self-employed. I wasn't prepared to go 'on the books' or even purchase a truck or van for that matter so it looks like I'll be a warehouseman moving gear here and there as well as assembling flat-pack furniture.

We agreed to meet for an informal chat next Friday so I feel I have something to look forward to.

Old 10-16-20, 12:48 PM   #3337
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Icon12 No good deed goes unpunished

remember, you're 60 somthing; but your old back (and pancreas)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbuna
teach drinking!
is probably 70 somthing...you'll need a good warehouseman's velcro back support! Are you(will U B) covered under their workplace insurance?

Old 10-16-20, 12:57 PM   #3338
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
remember, you're 60 somthing; but your old back (and pancreas) is probably 70 somthing...you'll need a good warehouseman's velcro back support! Are you(will U B) covered under their workplace insurance?
I presume so but that is one of the questions I will be asking at the meeting/chat.

Old 10-16-20, 01:03 PM   #3339
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
I presume so but that is one of the questions I will be asking at the meeting/chat.
Make it pregunto uno with solid documental verification; as patriarch of your clan, consideration and longetivity of the 'corpus dilicti' is your primary concern for the benifit of following generations!

Old 10-16-20, 01:11 PM   #3340
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

Downloads: 5

Quote:
With your son in mind, perhaps you could teach disiabled kids art and develope their creative abilities...the world needs another Pollock- painting featured in The Accountant with Ben Affleck. My favorite flik: guns and Aspergers! My watercolor painter mom made sure I did nothing but after-school 6th grade+ private art lessons incl. 3 years' drafting in highschool and drawing in college to satisfy art requirement for BA... My siblings still think I'm "lightly teched "!!
My son isn't interested in art at all... maybe I should teach him how to shoot a rifle instead (I used to be a marksman and instructor... been there, done that & got the badge) so he could take up where Ben Affleck left off. That is one heck of a favourite movie of ours too!
Old 10-16-20, 01:21 PM   #3341
Catfish

Icon14

@Eichhörnchen
as long as you do not give up painting at all (would be a shame!). So there is no money in it?
Apart from "free art" have you asked in museums or public places, for remittance work of pictures with a certain content, that suits your interest?

Whatever, it is already good to have received an invitation for an interview, this is not self-evident today in the "world of work" as you rightly said!
I do not know you too well but from what you write and post i take you could be a very good teacher, with enough background and patience.

Wish you the best, and tell us what happens

Old 10-16-20, 02:09 PM   #3342
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Quote:
My son isn't interested in art at all... maybe I should teach him how to shoot a rifle instead (I used to be a marksman and instructor... been there, done that & got the badge) so he could take up where Ben Affleck left off. That is one heck of a favourite movie of ours too!
Nah! jus' put all the paint in ketchup squeeze containers and lay the canvas flat and teach him to 'shoot' "at will" Pollock did! one of my duties, age 18, besides horsemanship, sailing and swimming at a MN YMCA camp in '69, was a lake-crossing by rowboat with 10-12 year-olds to the rifle range equipped with a raised platform and 20 .22-short bolt-action rifles. I still shoot a Savage pump-action .22-long with scope. We: 2 councelors and 1 range master, only let the little buggas shoot in the prone position for our sanity and literally ''put our foot down'' if they tried to rise with weapon in hand...Paid off some decades later coaching new Fed guards( a lot of immigrants who'd never held a handgun!!??) at the required pistol quals twice a year for 9 years. Even I flunked once ( 269!!:270 out of 300 required) and missed a week of work till I requalified!

Old 10-16-20, 05:48 PM   #3343
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

Downloads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
@Eichhörnchen
as long as you do not give up painting at all (would be a shame!). So there is no money in it?
Still an occasional commission (like the lady's house last month) but not regular work any more, so no dependable income. Ideally I'd like a part time job (say 20-30 hours pw) which would leave me some time to continue painting any commissions that come my way
Old 10-16-20, 07:35 PM   #3344
Commander Wallace
Navy Seal

Downloads: 360

Quote:
I just started applying for a 'proper' job, since it seems I'll never paint for a living again

First application put in last week and I already got an email back asking me in for a chat... I'm surprised and chuffed, since it was my first application and even getting an interview is something from what I've been hearing about the world of work these days

The post is "Educational Support Worker" with special needs kids and young adults, so I made sure they knew all about my own boy. Fingers crossed...

I hope it all goes well for you Eichhörnchen and Jim. I hope something opens up Eichhörnchen with regards to your painting as they really are spectacular. Hopefully you can do that as a part time gig.
Commander Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-20, 05:14 AM   #3345
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Cheers CW