SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-12-11, 06:42 PM   #901
TorpX
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 153
Uploads: 11

I've never had "unsinkable" targets, but it does seem that they often sink very slowly. I don't play that much, so there could well be such ships for all I know.

I think they made a error in the fundamental assumptions with their model. Namely, that a ship's compartment had to sustain heavy damage (80% or whatever) before it would flood. In RL, any torpedo that detonates below the waterline of a merchant vessel, would be guaranteed to blow a large hole in the hull. Allied merchants that survived german torpedo attacks (most did not), had 20 to 30 ft. holes in their hulls. In these circumstances, it is not a question of if the compartment floods, but rather how quickly it floods, and will flooding be limited to only one compartment.
TorpX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-11, 02:26 PM   #902
mido
Engineer

Downloads: 191
Uploads: 1
Default Damage Repair?

How is the damage repair really activated? I noticed that after I took some damage from an air attack that nothing would be repaired although crew was on battle stations and the damage control team was activated. I watched the red little bar next to the damaged station and accelerated to TCx256 and waited several hours but the status of the damaged stations would stay the same. What am I doing wrong or what am I missing? I am using SH4 1.5 + RFB 2.0 + patch + corresponding RSRDC + patch.
mido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-11, 04:39 PM   #903
Fish40
The Old Man

Downloads: 146
Uploads: 0

@ Mido, be sure that the area you want repaired is at the top of the priority list. Also, certain areas may not be able to be repaired at sea, or while submerged. What exactly was damaged?
Fish40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-11, 05:47 PM   #904
mido
Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish40 View Post
@ Mido, be sure that the area you want repaired is at the top of the priority list. Also, certain areas may not be able to be repaired at sea, or while submerged. What exactly was damaged?
Thanks for your reply, the damage was torpedo tubes and something like dive gear front... and other stuff I don't recall exactly. But the problem is that all the damaged stations showed little red bars on the right side and would tell you numbers like 0,19, 0,32, 3.5 etc but these numbers would never change to show any progress of the repair.

I was surfaced when I tried to repair the damage.

I just "escaped" from the situation and started it again from the last save.
Old 12-16-11, 11:55 PM   #905
mido
Engineer

Finally I got everything to work but now I got a new submarine (Gato class) and there are no slots to man the deck gun!? Anybody knows how to man the deck gun in a Gato class submarine with RFB? There is Hogan's Ally, Damage Control Team and AA Gun but no deck gun although the deck gun is there.
Old 12-17-11, 12:46 AM   #906
TorpX
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 153
Uploads: 11

You should be able to see all the crew slots when you toggle off the HUD. Use the [Del/ . ] key, I think.
TorpX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-11, 01:57 AM   #907
mido
Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorpX View Post
You should be able to see all the crew slots when you toggle off the HUD. Use the [Del/ . ] key, I think.
To make a long story short, here is a screenshot (GUI toggled off):

Deck Gun Problem

Old 12-17-11, 03:04 AM   #908
USS Drum
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 126

Quote:
Originally Posted by mido View Post

Deck Gun Problem

You fix this by loading the autosave on enter base.
USS Drum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-11, 04:07 AM   #909
TheBeast
The Old Man

Downloads: 876
Uploads: 23

Default Missing Deck Gun Crew Slots

Isn't the missing Deck Gun Crew Slots a know issue.

This happens some times when changing Deck Gun Mount position.
Try Changing your Deck back to other mount location.

SHIV-MediaFire | SHV-MediaFire
TheBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-11, 04:25 PM   #910
Fish40
The Old Man

Downloads: 146

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish40 View Post
Hi guys, I posted about this bug in RFB awhile ago, and it seems it's still there. The Medium Old Composit Freighter remains unsinkable! Can anyone else confirm this? I'm running RFB2.0 + RSRD and updates, plus some compatable mods. It's July 44' off the coast of Borneo. I came across this freighter in rough seas, and hit her with 2 torps. She listed and remained like that. I then gave her another shot from the Bow, and then turned to bring the Stern tubes to bear. To make a long story short, after 7 torps this ship remained afloat! I time compressed several hours, and she remained in the same state. I was forced to eat the attack and move on.
OK, this is a real problem for me. This ship does not sink (for me). I can't understand it. My mods are all compatable, so I don't get it. I hit this ship in the Formosa Strait with a 3 torpedo spread. Two detonated near the forward mast, and one near the funnel. She came to a complete stop, began to list, and stayed put! I should have known better than to press home the attack knowing the problem I have with this ship. It seems to be the only one, as every other ship I attack goes down. I can't figure this one out.
Fish40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-11, 01:02 AM   #911
mido
Engineer

I just finished a patrol and sank 5 of them (Yes, Medium Old Composite Freighters), 4 of them with one torpedo impact (the other were duds) and one with two explosions. The longest "sinking time" was about 2 1/2 hours and I accelerated it with about 50 deck gun rounds. All that happened on a patrol in the Marshall and Gilbert Islands with RFB / RSRDC. Since I am playing without map updates my targeting is not perfect and the torpedoes almost never hit exactly where I am aiming at but they hit somewhere.

How long are you waiting? What time do you expect for the sinking?
Old 12-25-11, 06:42 AM   #912
Hylander_1314
Sea Lord

Downloads: 139

Quote:
Originally Posted by mido View Post

Deck Gun Problem

This is a definite known issue with SH4. I use TMO, and the default is bow mounted deck guns, but you can choose to use aft deckguns instead, but you have to load the mod files ahead of time, and live with it throughout the entire career. The game won't allow you to change from aft to fore even though the option is available, without losing the crew slots. Can't remember right off, though if this adversely affects the game when the upgrade for both fore and aft deckguns are available later in the war. I'm in the middle of 1943 in my campaign so it will be a while before I can verify this.

---------------------

Hylander_1314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-11, 08:58 AM   #913
mido
Engineer

I just "survived" some heavy depth charge attack but had many casualties, some of them fatal. Finally after hours of trying to hide from that IJN destroyers I got away and started repairs and sorted out the dead and alive but wounded crew members and became functional again. After that I saved the game and when I reloaded it this morning everybody "cured" over night, even the fatal casualties...???

Is this a game bug or is this related to RFB?
Old 12-25-11, 10:56 AM   #914
Hylander_1314
Sea Lord

Downloads: 139

I have had that happen too, using stock or TMO game. It has been sporadic though. SOmetimes they permanently dead, or sometimes they rise again to the living.

Most of the time though, if a crewman "buys the farm", I have to replace him when I get back to port.

I think they forgot add an option for burial at sea, so as to open up a slot for crew to take their place. Or send them up with debris to try to deceive the DDs of your supposed doom.

---------------------

Hylander_1314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-11, 01:00 PM   #915
mido
Engineer

It seems to happen only after saving and reloading the game, almost like a cheat..., same as the weather "fix".