SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Sub/Naval & General Games Discussion > Jutland
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-06-09, 05:32 PM   #1
Pablo
Commodore

Downloads: 165
Uploads: 0
Default Question on Data Rights Management

Hi!

Jutland looks like a good game, but I have a question about the Data Rights Management (DRM) scheme: does that mean that I can no longer play the game if (Heaven forfend) Storm Eagle Studios goes under and the website is no longer available?

Thanks!

Pablo

"...far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat."
- Theodore Roosevelt, speech before the Hamilton Club, Chicago, April 10, 1899
Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-09, 07:08 PM   #2
Lempereur1
Storm Eagle Studios

Downloads: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo
Hi!

Jutland looks like a good game, but I have a question about the Data Rights Management (DRM) scheme: does that mean that I can no longer play the game if (Heaven forfend) Storm Eagle Studios goes under and the website is no longer available?

Thanks!

Pablo
Pablo: Thanks for your interest in Jutland!

This is a great question that comes up often.

In the event of the worst, i.e. Storm Eagle Studios going defunct, With the flick of a compile switch, Storm Eagle can release a final patch that can be applied locally, to remove the DRM.

If you think about it, should we did go under, why would we not do this?

Since we would be in a situation of not sellling the game any more, why would we care about copy protecting it?

Norm Koger, Conductor here at Storm Eagle, is still providing support to people who bought his first game, Stellar Crusade - 1988 SSI, 21 years later!

Can you name anyone else in the gaming industry with that kind of record?

Jim Rose
StormEagleStudios.Com
Lempereur1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-09, 09:35 PM   #3
em2nought
Ocean Warrior

Default RE: Lempereur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lempereur1
For one the code would be an asset, so if SES owed anyone money you just couldn't legally turn over your assets to fans. All one has to do is follow "your" postings on the gamesquad forums to date to get a feel for what kinds of actions "you" might take. Benevolence isn't in your DNA from what I've seen. Apologies to Norm Koger.
Old 02-11-09, 01:18 AM   #4
Lempereur1
Storm Eagle Studios

Default So you found me..

Looks like we cant hide from you no matter where we go...

Ok you got me...

Take me to your......

Who do you work for?
Old 02-11-09, 12:39 PM   #5
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 90

I really do not understand the concern or upset over data rights and protection programs in this game or any game for that matter. Maybe one day someone can explain it to me. Until then, I play the games and not worry about protection programs, etc.
Old 02-12-09, 04:00 AM   #6
em2nought
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Who do you work for?
The makers of Starforce, we're just mad that you came up with DRM worse than ours.
Old 02-13-09, 10:56 AM   #7
GlobalExplorer
Admiral

Downloads: 165

Quote:
Originally Posted by em2nought
Quote:
Who do you work for?
The makers of Starforce, we're just mad that you came up with DRM worse than ours.
No more. This wannabe developer seems to suffer from the same delusions, game appears to be extremely unpopular, too

GlobalExplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-09, 12:49 PM   #8
Bullethead
Storm Eagle Studios

Quote:
That's not in any way an accurate statement.

Starforce was a complete abonination, I agree. Besides sinking roots all through your system files that were nearly impossible to get rid of, IMHO the worst part about it was that it poisoned the whole world against the entire DRM concept. When folks hear "DRM", they think of Starforce, or perhaps Spore which is bad in different ways, and go on the warpath.

Our DRM has nothing in common with Starforce or Spore's system. It does nothing to your system; it's all within the game itself. If you uninstall our game, there's no trace of our DRM left on your system. And while it's still on your system, it affects nothing else on your system. You have unlimited uninstalls and reinstalls. You download the game onto as many computers as you want and easily transfer the license between them all as often as you want.
Bullethead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-09, 09:01 PM   #9
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Quote:
Quote:
For one the code would be an asset, so if SES owed anyone money you just couldn't legally turn over your assets to fans. All one has to do is follow "your" postings on the gamesquad forums to date to get a feel for what kinds of actions "you" might take. Benevolence isn't in your DNA from what I've seen. Apologies to Norm Koger.
I don't think SES plans to "turn over the code", they would simply patch the game so that it would not use the DRM.
Old 02-13-09, 09:07 PM   #10
Lempereur1
Storm Eagle Studios

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal Stevens
Quote:
Quote:
I don't think SES plans to "turn over the code", they would simply patch the game so that it would not use the DRM.
Leaving gamers hanging would go against everything we have ever done in Gaming.
WE recently tried to count all the PC and board games that we have been involved in over the last 27+ years and we stopped counting at 68!

If we were in this strickly for the money, we would be making first person shooter games.