SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-23-08, 02:46 PM   #31
Wolfehunter
Crusty Capt.

Downloads: 40
Uploads: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hylander_1314
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfehunter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reece
Stop trying to make Vista 64 sound good! XP 32 bit forever .... Yay!!
I'm not...:hmm: I'm saying my system rocks... sorta..

I never realized how sickly outdated my old rig was.
But you also have a little more room for upgrading too, without having to scrap this one to build a new rig in the future.
Absolutely dude.

Well I did my first stupid driver error.

Installed the wrong 64bit NVIDIA nForce Serial ATA Controler driver. Accidently put the XP Pro 64bit and kept on crashing. lol It shows I'm getting tired... Fixed it today my rig is stable now.

Need sleep... arg.
Old 10-23-08, 03:24 PM   #32
Task Force
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 85
Uploads: 0

So this 32 bit vista is helping my computer run SH4 at 30-40 fps (on bad days).:hmm: I think I know what I want for christmas to go with a new processor. D** this 2.8 Ghz AMD processor.
Old 10-23-08, 03:30 PM   #33
Wolfehunter
Crusty Capt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Task Force
So this 32 bit vista is helping my computer run SH4 at 30-40 fps (on bad days).:hmm: I think I know what I want for christmas to go with a new processor. D** this 2.8 Ghz AMD processor.
sounds like a plan dude.
Old 10-23-08, 03:35 PM   #34
Task Force
Rear Admiral

Yep, I just got to decide which to get.
Old 10-23-08, 04:04 PM   #35
Wolfehunter
Crusty Capt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Task Force
Yep, I just got to decide which to get.
I like reading forums on the products. I like to hear what other have had with different items. Sometimes you can get a real idea what is better out their for all that floating info.

Goodluck Task Force.. Fun to build you own rig. Very rewarding feeling when playing a game you can truely enjoy...
Old 10-23-08, 04:12 PM   #36
Task Force
Rear Admiral

I bought one of these things that sits right over there --->
Its basicly a HP m8100n with a Nvidia 8800GTX 640mb with a power supply 6xx watts.
Old 10-23-08, 08:45 PM   #37
Reece
CINC Pacific Fleet

Downloads: 171

@ Hylander_1314, you never actually gave your impression of Vista 64 over XP Pro 32bit, I am reluctant to spend the large bucks for a new OS at this time but may consider it, I supposed I could remove the C-Drive, put a new one in & build a Vista system on that, if I don't like can put my old one back.

Sub captains go down with their ship!
Reece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-08, 12:39 AM   #38
Hylander_1314
Sea Lord

Downloads: 139

Oh no, if M$ was still going to support XP for some time to come, I would have gone with a 64 bit version of it, if available. But since they said they were pulling the plug, there wasn't much point.

At least the culture shock going from XP to Vista wasn't much, compared to the change from 98 to XP. Now that was a rough changeover. For the first year I hated XP. But it wasn't really Xp I hated. I hated having to change my routine from what I did and knew about 98 to XP's format and intricacies. So all I did with Vista was basically set it up to run like XP did for the most part, so it's not really that bad to me personally. But in comparing, it wouldn;t matter what OS I was using, I would go back to 32 bit now that I have a pretty good grip on 64 bit.

---------------------

Hylander_1314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-08, 02:02 AM   #39
Reece
CINC Pacific Fleet

Quote:
I would go back to 32 bit
You would!!

Old 10-24-08, 09:51 AM   #40
Hylander_1314
Sea Lord

Quote:
Quote:
I would go back to 32 bit
You would!!
Sorry, misspelling on my part. I wouldn't go back to 32 bit. Mostly as it is limited to expansion. I can and do have 8 gigs of ram, and 1024 gigs of ram from the videocards combined. 32 bit systems wouldn't allow it to be as such.

But I'm also interested in the latest attitudes of M$ on the new os Windows 7 being a stripped and slimmed down os. So if it uses fewer resources, I can get rid of Vista and it's bloatware approach of gobbling up system resources. Even though I have 8 gigs of memory, 2 gigs are automatically sucked up by Vista. That's what I liked about 98se. I had the system set so that I could use 768 megs of ram and resouces were 98% free. The only thing running in the backround was one of those little programs that forced windows to free up ram instead of taking more and more while running applications.

Since I don't use any of the Vista visual effects, and run in classic mode, it shows on the Vista manager that my resources are pretty freed up. Even though it says that 0% resources are used, I have a hard time believing that. Just by the nature of the way Vista is designed.

So from first impressions, Windows 7 will be better than either Vista, or XP as it won't have a bunch of software bundled into it and it will give the user the ability to opt for things we use and not be saddled with programs we never use.

So I'm looking forward to getting a new 64 bit version of the new os, after it hits the shelves. I think I'll get a couple more hard drives and get an OEM version as it usually saves up to 45% off the shelved version. That way I can set up a nice raid on the rig.

---------------------

Old 10-24-08, 07:51 PM   #41
Reece
CINC Pacific Fleet

Quote:
Sorry, misspelling on my part.
I knew it was a mistake but I just had to make good the oportunity!!
Quote:
So from first impressions, Windows 7 will be better than either Vista, or XP as it won't have a bunch of software bundled into it and it will give the user the ability to opt for things we use and not be saddled with programs we never use.

So I'm looking forward to getting a new 64 bit version of the new os, after it hits the shelves. I think I'll get a couple more hard drives and get an OEM version as it usually saves up to 45% off the shelved version. That way I can set up a nice raid on the rig.
Yes, 64 bit Windows 7 sounds the way to go for me, getting OEM version would be nice but have never been able to get one unless I buy a whole new computer system, and that's out as I always build my own!

Old 10-24-08, 08:21 PM   #42
Wolfehunter
Crusty Capt.

Quote:
Quote:
Sorry, misspelling on my part.
I knew it was a mistake but I just had to make good the oportunity!!
Quote:

Yes, 64 bit Windows 7 sounds the way to go for me, getting OEM version would be nice but have never been able to get one unless I buy a whole new computer system, and that's out as I always build my own!
You can get oem products without having to buy new system. Its who you know.

Legit I mean.
Old 10-24-08, 08:31 PM   #43
Hylander_1314
Sea Lord

Reece,

You shouldn't have to buy a whole new system to get an OEM version. If I get one, I always get a hardive upgrade to go with it. By the time window 7 is out and gets all the bugs worked out, those 10,000 rpm hard drives should be really reasonably priced and of good size for storage too. So I always tell the salesman that my hard drive fried and I need a new one or two, and I want the new os, but in OEM so I don't get all the extra junk. It's a little more expensive for the hardware compared to online purchasing, but the savings of up to 150 bucks for the os outweighs the savings on the hardware.

Comp USA was good about doing that, and so is Microcenter.

---------------------

Old 10-24-08, 08:52 PM   #44
Reece
CINC Pacific Fleet

Quote:
You can get oem products without having to buy new system. Its who you know.
Quote:
It's a little more expensive for the hardware compared to online purchasing, but the savings of up to 150 bucks for the os outweighs the savings on the hardware.
I quite agree, when it's released I will try to get an OEM version, might have to post here for some suggestions or places that will do it!