SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-05-21, 08:36 AM   #106
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Not that this was unexpected but the Taliban are sweeping all before them.

Quote:
More than 1,000 Afghan soldiers have fled to neighbouring Tajikistan after clashing with Taliban militants, officials have said.

The troops retreated over the border to "save their own lives", according to a statement by Tajikistan's border guard.

Violence has risen in Afghanistan, with the Taliban launching attacks and taking more territory in recent weeks.

The surge coincides with the end of Nato's 20-year military mission in the country.

The vast majority of remaining foreign forces in Afghanistan have been withdrawn ahead of a September deadline, and there are concerns that the Afghan military will collapse.

Under a deal with the Taliban, the US and its Nato allies agreed to withdraw all troops in return for a commitment by the militants not to allow al-Qaeda or any other extremist group to operate in the areas they control.

But the Taliban did not agree to stop fighting Afghan forces, and now reportedly control about a third of the country.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-57720103

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-21, 09:01 AM   #107
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37
Uploads: 0

Otto Harkaman posted a link on China and Afghanistan.

Hmm Will China be the next country who will try to suppress the Afghan people and beat Taliban ?

if this would be the case I think China would have a better chance-They don't have to take democracy into consideration.

Best thing is leave Afghanistan alone.

Markus

My little lovely female cat
mapuc is online   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-21, 09:35 AM   #108
Moonlight
Admiral

Downloads: 184

I think it's a superpower thing Markus, 2 have tried and failed already and now it's China's turn, if they stick to infrastructure building they'll be ok, but they won't, eventually they'll want a say in how to run Afghanistan and that's where they too will fail.
Old 07-05-21, 09:42 AM   #109
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlight View Post
I think it's a superpower thing Markus, 2 have tried and failed already and now it's China's turn, if they stick to infrastructure building they'll be ok, but they won't, eventually they'll want a say in how to run Afghanistan and that's where they too will fail.
I guess you're right

I was thinking like-The Chinese does not have to stand trail to their media when they have killed 50 civilians in their effort to get 5 Taliban.

You do not kill civilian(my point)

Markus

Old 07-05-21, 09:52 AM   #110
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10

Which Taliban faction are we talking about? I’m guessing their several moving in various parts of the country jockeying for position. My other guess is we may also be supporting one or more of those groups.

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.

Last edited by Rockstar; 07-05-21 at 10:39 AM.
Rockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-21, 11:01 AM   #111
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

The Russians, having marched across the bridge in retreat; The U.S., doing a bugout like the departure from 'Nam; the Chinese are now preparing to move in with their
globally domineering thinly disguised Road & Belt Initiative to support the new (whichever)regime in Afghanistan... considering that Alexander the Great and Genghis Khan really couldn't handle this region either, Comrade Xi is welcome to try....

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-21, 11:31 AM   #112
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

I say:
Leave Afghanistan alone, let them fight their own war. Try to impose an effective blockade of the country-This to prevent weapons getting into the country
(I know weapon will come into the country whatever our leaders do)

Markus

Old 07-05-21, 11:54 AM   #113
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

If they go in, the Chiense will try to bribe and elase themselves in, then try to abuse the guilt their debtors have mounted. I do not think they will go in militarily.

That calculation sounds promising at first, but an old Afghan saying is about that you can never forever buy an Afghan, only temporarily hire him. History shows this to be true.You do not buy yourself in in Afghanistan.

I wonder whether the Chinese step into the trap or not. They might think their approach is superior. Well, it works great in Africa and on the Balkan and brings many states into dependecny form China, and in the EU's flank it is a poisonous arrow with hooks on it. But I am quite confident it will not work in Afghanistan. Possible however that the Chinese then become so furious that they start runnign amok then. Not hot but ice-cold amok, of course. They already commit genocide against many minorities and ethnicities, they will not suddenly grow moral scruples.
Old 07-05-21, 12:14 PM   #114
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
If they go in, the Chiense will try to bribe and elase themselves ....., they will not suddenly grow moral scruples.
"Chienese actually means "no moral "screwpals". COMRADE Xi, just this week at the 100 Commie Bastard's anniversary reiterated that "China will not be bullied"...that it may better bully everyone else. Now, instead of one baby per family, the new policy is three per family... in a country of 1.4 billion people out of 8 billion globally, that isn't going to help global warming, Wuhan virus variants, or any other pandemic issues. WWIII is well under way. The West is just too dumb to see it.

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-21, 01:37 PM   #115
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Stay well out of it....no good will ever come of it.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-21, 01:36 PM   #116
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Downloads: 0

Looks like the Biden administration is all talk but so far no action.

https://www.foxnews.com/world/milita...-afghan-allies

Quote:
Rep Seth Moulton, D-Mass., spoke at a rally on Friday to demand presidential action for American's Afghan allies, such as interpreters who took great risks to help American troops and now are being left behind as U.S. military forces withdraw from the country.
Standing in Lafayette Square in front the White House, Moulton, a former Marine officer with multiple combat tours, said, "I want to thank veterans all across America, veterans of different political parties and different wars, who are coming together today and reminding Americans that we have a promise to uphold."
The rally came one week after the New York Times reported that the Biden administration was notifying lawmakers that the U.S. would soon begin relocating thousands of Afghan allies to third countries while they await processing for their special immigrant visas. However, congressional members on both sides of the aisle have yet to receive details.

Flanked by life and the funeral pyre. Putting on a show for you to see.
August is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-21, 02:49 PM   #117
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Quote:
Taliban fighters can be seen in recently released video​s​ celebrating the seizure of US Humvees, tanks and assault weapons from Afghan security forces as the Biden administration begins its troop withdrawal​ before the Sept. 11 deadline.

The Taliban have been capturing key districts in the northern part of the war-torn country — including Kandahar and Badakhshan — with little or no resistance from Afghan national forces​ since the US announced the timetable for the departure in April.

They are extending their control of Afghanistan from their southern strongholds by filling the void left by the departing US forces.

More than a thousand Afghan soldiers fled across the border to Tajikistan after clashing with the Taliban in Badakhshan and surrendered their weapons.

The Taliban are touting the capture of the US weapons as a propaganda ploy in videos released on social media, heralding their return to power after being defeated by American troops in 2001 for harboring al Qaeda and its leader Osama bin Laden and allowing the terror group to plan its 9/11 attack.

Well, that's another war we lost. Cannot believe how pitiful the Afghans are, they had freedom in their grasp, handed to them on a silver platter, and after 20 years of protection, they give it away.

Quote:
The speed of the US pullout is marked by the hasty abandonment of Bagram Airfield — the hub of US military operations during the 20-year war — over the weekend without giving the Afghan government a heads up, a sudden departure that allowed looters to overrun the facility and help themselves to the numerous items left behind by the Americans.
Stupid Biden administration.
Onkel Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-21, 03:39 PM   #118
em2nought
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 0

What a waste.
Old 07-06-21, 03:59 PM   #119
Skybird
Soaring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onkel Neal View Post
Biden? He just draws the consequences needed. Or did you wish for staying another 20, 30 years there, being rewarded with nothing but stagnation that would reverse thigns to their worst status before the moment you one day pull out in one generation?

In the wake of 9-11 the US had certain hard reasons to go in and do what it did. It achieved those missions by trial and error and patience, but the problem were the follow-up ideas of nation-building and exporting democracy. Totally stupid idea in that part of the world, it is not civilised Germany or disciplined Japan. That is what broke the operation its neck. Not the original reason - the follow up ideas were the problem.

The way Bagram was left, probably was a good idea. To prevent the retreating last troops being shot in their back and their transports being "misseled down". And finally, there was no reason to walk out with a parade. The mission was not a success story, so silently leaving is somewhat adequate.

Worse is if the troops do not get politically recognised in their home country, like in Germany. Your troops silently sneaked out. But the German troops were met with total and complete political ignoration on their return to Germany. By the government. By the ministry, by the parliament. Disgusting. I do not want a parade, I do not like parades. But a welcoming back home. Some gesture showing class and format. Anything. Instead: nothing. To not remind of how totally orientationless the German political caste, responsible for and in command of this blind, clueless tapping around in the Afghan maze, has acted in the past 20 years.

Last edited by Skybird; 07-06-21 at 04:11 PM.
Skybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-21, 04:16 PM   #120
Abu Ibrahim
Watch

Default End of an era.

I think that as my title says. This is the end of an era. Where many lives were taken, a lot of suffering happened. And all sadly for nothing. We can see from the Soviet Afghan war, Israeli Lebanese war and many others that this type of nation building with deep changing of the society just can't work, sadly it took many lives to see this. I hope that this end of an era, 20 years to be exact will give some wisdom to the US commanders, but I think I'm being positive here.

“History never repeats itself. Man always does.”
Abu Ibrahim is offline   Reply With Quote