Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Closed Thread

Old 09-13-20, 05:52 AM   #12856
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Former Prime Ministers Tony Blair and Sir John Major have urged Parliament to reject Boris Johnson's "shameful" attempt to override parts of the Brexit Withdrawal Agreement.

The PM has said the European Union is threatening to impose a customs border in the Irish Sea, separating Northern Ireland from the rest of the UK.

Mr Blair and Sir John have accused the government of "embarrassing" the UK.

The Internal Market Bill will be debated in the Commons on Monday.

The bill would go against the Withdrawal Agreement, signed by the UK and EU earlier this year.

It addresses the Northern Ireland Protocol - the part of the Agreement designed to prevent a hard border returning to the island of Ireland.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-54135231

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Old 09-14-20, 07:49 AM   #12857
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
David Cameron has become the fifth former prime minister to criticise a new bill attempting to override the Brexit withdrawal agreement.

The Internal Market Bill will come before MPs later, with the government calling it an "insurance policy".

Mr Cameron said he had "misgivings" over it and breaking an international treaty should be the "final resort".

Former Tory PMs Theresa May and Sir John Major, and Labour's Tony Blair and Gordon Brown have condemned the plan.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-54145202
Boris may be getting too big for his boots.

Despite having a Parliamentary lead of around eighty seats there are a growing number of Tories who are against him on this issue.

Old 09-14-20, 09:55 AM   #12858
JU_88
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 11
Uploads: 0

Yeah, Boris is walking on some thin ice right now. His name could very well be mud come next year.

He is making quite a gamble.
Old 09-14-20, 01:54 PM   #12859
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
Boris Johnson has said the UK must reserve the right to override the Brexit deal to protect the country's "economic and political integrity".

The PM said legislation was needed to resolve "tensions" in the EU-UK deal.

He said it would ensure the UK could not be "broken up" by a foreign power and the EU was acting in an "extreme way", by threatening food exports.

Labour said the PM had caused the "mess" by reneging on a deal he had previously called a "triumph".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-54153302
Boris Johnson says powers will ensure UK cannot be 'broken up' but I'd say he's doing a pretty good job of that himself, especially where Scotland is concerned.

Old 09-14-20, 02:44 PM   #12860
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

If he did not like it, he shouldn't have signed it. Its a formality of legal consequences so potentially harmful that it is the only thing I care about in this. I may see the Irish question like him, or not - it does not matter. Pacta sunt servanda. That is the only object of interest right now.

I do not know what legal ways therer are to formally end that withdrawel agreement in total. If that is the way out, so be it. Of course, every treaty can be started - and also ended again, even if it says it should have eternal validity. Such clause of course always is invalid since it never can be seen as valid in the first. Like you can begin a memberhsip, you must also be able to leave the member's club.

But the formally legal ways should be followed, else nobody will have trust to sign a teaty with the offender again. Its so simple to understand. And he nevertheless tries to ape around it. Idiot.

Oh, I think he will fail this time.
Old 09-14-20, 04:27 PM   #12861
Moonlight
Admiral

Downloads: 184

Bozo should give that Poison Dwarf up in Scotland another chance to win their independence, if she gets another chance of one I hope the little currant wins it. Good luck Scotland and a big **** off from from me and millions of like minded people.

As for Bozo and this Brexit fiasco he should 3 line whip the bastards into line, we'll see then if those MPs have got the bottle for a fight instead of cowering behind the backbench mouthpieces. Go get em Bozo.
Old 09-15-20, 03:14 AM   #12862
JU_88
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 11

Dont be so tribal against scotland!
Anyway Jimmy Cranky (as Jim calls her) is in freefall at the moment.
And the SNP's popularity is starting to wane. cant say im too surprised with some of the insane policies they have been peddling recently, particularly when it comes to policing speech.
Old 09-15-20, 07:24 AM   #12863
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
Ex-Conservative MP Charlie Elphicke has been jailed for two years for sexually assaulting two women.
Elphicke, 49, the former MP for Dover, was convicted of groping the women in similar situations, nine years apart.
He denied the charges, but was found guilty of one count of sexual assault in 2007 and two further counts in 2016, after a trial at Southwark Crown Court.
The judge told Elphicke he was a "sexual predator who used your success and respectability as a cover".
The defendant's wife Natalie, the current Dover MP, ended their marriage after his conviction in July.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-54161766
Some people just can't balance power and responsibility.

Old 09-15-20, 08:59 AM   #12864
Moonlight
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
Oh, I think he will fail this time.
I think before coming out with statements like that one above Skybird one must assess the publics mood on the subject, anything that removes the EU's involvement in British affairs will get a Brexiteer thumbs up from me and millions of others as well.
Its time these London Journalists got out and about and into the heartlands of England to ask them what they think about all this nonsense, I'm sure they would all go whimpering back to that rathole they came from with more than a flea in their ear.
Old 09-15-20, 09:07 AM   #12865
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
You asked Skybird, but ...

Forgiving a country, or forgiving citizens of today that have nothing to do with what happened in the past?
Can anyone feel responsible or guilty for what was done two generations ago by humans he never met or knew? Surely not.
Should anyone try to never let such things never happen again? Absolutely.

But do you ask yourself whether colonies, slaves or whatever xour glorious Empire suppressed and killed forgive "England"? Which England? The 'nation'? The England of today?
Yeah, that's how I feel about SLAVERY, I'm right there with you. Tired of hearing about it.
Old 09-15-20, 11:06 AM   #12866
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

A proposed law giving Boris Johnson's government the power to override parts of the Brexit agreement with the EU has passed its first hurdle in the Commons.

MPs backed the Internal Market Bill by 340 votes to 263.

Ministers say it contains vital safeguards to protect Northern Ireland and the rest of the UK, if negotiations on a future trade deal break down.

But critics, including a number of Tory MPs, warned it risks damaging the UK by breaching international law.

Two Tory MPs voted against the bill on Monday night - Sir Roger Gale and Andrew Percy - while a further 30 abstained, although some of those may not have been for political reasons.

Although the government has a majority of 80 in the Commons, it is braced for further rebellions in the coming weeks as the legislation receives detailed scrutiny.

Several prominent Conservatives, including former Chancellor Sajid Javid - who appeared to abstain on Monday - have said they could not support the final bill unless it is amended.

But Home Secretary Priti Patel insisted it put the "safeguards and mechanisms in place to ensure that we stay true to the people of Northern Ireland".
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-54156419

Old 09-15-20, 03:24 PM   #12867
MGR1
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 252

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlight View Post
Bozo should give that Poison Dwarf up in Scotland another chance to win their independence, if she gets another chance of one I hope the little currant wins it. Good luck Scotland and a big **** off from from me and millions of like minded people.
Oi, don't get Scotland and Glasgow mixed up, matey! The Weegies like to think they ARE Scotland but they aren't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JU_88 View Post
Dont be so tribal against scotland!
Anyway Jimmy Cranky (as Jim calls her) is in freefall at the moment.
And the SNP's popularity is starting to wane. cant say im too surprised with some of the insane policies they have been peddling recently, particularly when it comes to policing speech.
Never underestimate the stupidity of Weegie left-wingers - they mindlessly voted Labour before and they're just as mindlessly voting for the SNP now.

Mike.
"I am the battleship Jean Bart. This name originates from a certain 'respected' privateer... Yes? You want to know what privateers are? Hmph, they are pirates that rob openly under the banner of their country."

Jean Bart from the mobile game Azur Lane.
Old 09-15-20, 04:44 PM   #12868
Moonlight
Admiral

I'd never heard the term weegies before today so I looked the word up, mind boggling to say the least, my apologies to all none weegies.

Just 1 definition of the slang word Weegie, there's more but this one says it all, I've no idea who wrote it or why they even think a weegie is the scum of the earth, there's some strange people about these days.

Quote:
A weegie is someone from Glasgow, Scotland. Weegies are the scum of the earth who have no jobs and don't know what a bar of soap is. they have never had a wash and are scared of water. They are all inbred and there father and mother are sister and brother. Weegies have no money and are all on the dole. they collect there giro every week to buy there smack and buckie and then occasionaly go and gloryhunt by watching either Glasgow Rangers or Celtic on a saturday but dont know anything about the team. Weegies are scum of the earth.
"Feed the weegies, let them know it's christmas time"

"You are a weegie, a smelly weegie, your only happy on giro day. Yer ma's stealer, yer dad's a dealer, so please dont take my hub caps away"
Old 09-16-20, 06:16 AM   #12869
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab is in Washington, where he is expected to try to reassure US politicians about the latest Brexit developments.

Some US politicians are concerned about the UK government's plan to override parts of the Brexit divorce deal.

Mr Raab will meet US Speaker Nancy Pelosi, who last week said there would be no UK-US trade deal if the Good Friday Agreement was undermined.

No 10 has said the 1998 peace accord will be upheld in all circumstances.

Mr Raab is due to meet leading politicians including his US counterpart, Mike Pompeo, as well as Democratic Congresswoman Ms Pelosi, who is speaker of the House of Representatives.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-54171571
I reckon a lot of people will take a lot of convincing.

Old 09-16-20, 11:47 AM   #12870
MGR1
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 252

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlight View Post
I'd never heard the term weegies before today so I looked the word up, mind boggling to say the least, my apologies to all none weegies.

Just 1 definition of the slang word Weegie, there's more but this one says it all, I've no idea who wrote it or why they even think a weegie is the scum of the earth, there's some strange people about these days.
Let's just say that Glaswegians of a certain sort are viewed in the same way in Scotland as Scousers of the same sort are in England.

There's a fair bit in common between the Clyde Valley and Merseyside, but at least the latter doesn't make up 40% of England's population.

Mike.
"I am the battleship Jean Bart. This name originates from a certain 'respected' privateer... Yes? You want to know what privateers are? Hmph, they are pirates that rob openly under the banner of their country."

Jean Bart from the mobile game Azur Lane.
Closed Thread

Tags
british, politics