Forget password? Reset here

Closed Thread

Old 04-06-10, 06:36 AM   #76
Takao
Officer

Downloads: 1
Uploads: 0

Well CybaGirl,

Since you have not read reviews of the game, then perhaps you should read the one by by Neal Stevens, owner of this board, here: http://www.subsim.com/2010_03/review_sh5_mar2010.php

Since you have played all of the Silent Hunter games in the franchise, then you also realize that in Silent Hunter 2 & 3, you could play the Type II, Type VII, Type IX, and Type XXI u-boats. However, in Silent Hunter 5, you can only play the Type VII. I see this as a giant step back, not forward.

And why, do you mention Linux, as that too is not finished. Currently Linux is still under development. I mean thousands of programmers are still working on it to make it better.

I would also note that neither Linux nor Windows require me to be connected to the internet 100% of the time for them to work
Another item to note Microsoft STILL SUPPORTS WINDOWS XP after all these years. Does Ubisoft still support Silent Hunter 3 & 4? I think not.

Life is filled with making compromises. People have made compromises with using Linux or Windows. Us gamers made compromises with SH III & IV. However given the current volatile financial times, I have not, and will not compromise with Windows 7 nor Silent Hunter V. Why should I spend the cash when I am perfectly happy with XP and Silent Hunter 3/4.

Gimme back my Type IX!
Old 04-06-10, 06:43 AM   #77
Méo
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 240

Quote:
Originally Posted by thyro View Post
After all it is just a game and not a life!
It depends, looks like for some people it's a ''life''.
Old 04-06-10, 06:48 AM   #78
thyro
Commander

Location: on a rock surrounded by water, that people call it UK
Downloads: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Méo View Post
It depends, looks like for some people it's a ''life''.
Quite true!

These days the definition of "life" could have many meanings...

playing games is a way of life for some... tell the chinese otherwise and you'd get shot! (no prejudice here, just simple reference to online game "professionals" earning real money by selling online goods/characters from online games!)

Old 04-06-10, 06:50 AM   #79
TDK1044
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 25

The outcome for Silent Hunter 5 is really dependent on whether Ubisoft continues to support the game with patches when sales of the game will be lower than their expectations, and whether they choose to remove the DRM component.

If they determine that low sales means no patch 3 or 4, then Silent Hunter 5 is dead in the water. The modders can only fix so much, and the game would die a natural death.

If Ubisoft has an epiphany, continues patching the game and removes the DRM, then the future is much brighter.

It's not about giving Silent Hunter 5 a chance; it's about a major Publisher admitting that they made a mistake and fixing it.
Old 04-06-10, 06:56 AM   #80
Faamecanic
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 44

I think the point is we HAVE given UBISTANK a chance. Since SH3 we have given them a "pass".

SH3 released (even after patches) INCOMPLETE.

SH4 released (even after free patches and one PAID patch) INCOMPLETE and in a worse state than SH3

SH5 released (I still HOPE for a complete game after patch...but given the above track record that NO ONE can argue...I dont have much hope in that).

So I ask what will UBI do next with SH6..... release the ALPHA version??

Sorry but if UBI's intent is to release SH6 in such a shoddy state as this pile of dung....then they should just leave the franchise alone, sell the rights to the name Silent Hunter, and let someone like MS or a indy developer do the next one.

And to CyberGirl...I will NOT PIPE DOWN! YOU may like to give your money to the UBI charity...I DO NOT. My love of my money over comes my love for subsims...and I feel ripped off right now. IF UBI had a better track record of FIXING the product they release (see above) then I would be in the "wait and see" crowd. But with SH4 collecting dust on bookcase for the last few years.... I hold very little hope for a complete sim with SH5. If UBI DOES fix it...GREAT.... I will PIPE DOWN at that point.
Old 04-06-10, 07:09 AM   #81
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonTorpitz View Post
Recently I've heard a tremendous amount of flak both on and off this forum directed against SH5.
Its true, the game was released practically half finished and bug ridden to the extreme. But seriously! There's got to be a bright side to this dismal situation.
There you go! Actually there are lots of bright spots, alternatives for your frivolous entertainment dollar. In a market brightly illuminated with companies who love and value their customers, somehow UBI believes that serial customer abuse is the way to success.

If John Wayne Gacy were the only clown in town, would you refuse to arrest, imprison and execute him because there wouldn't be any clown to entertain the children? Hmmmmmmmm? At what point does addiction rationalization become cruel self-mockery?

When Runescape, an online game you can play forever for free, and freely pay for if and only if you're absolutely convinced you love it, thinks it's necessary and important to operate 171 servers worldwide for quick and reliable player access, why is Ubi insulting us with a paltry three? So we will love them?

Why does the word "Services" in Online Services Platform really mean "bend over and grab your ankles, this is going to hurt......a lot." Why does Ubi think we're willing to pay for this? The name literally drips with contempt for paying customers. This is a name dreamed up by some evil cartoon character, on a par with Internal Revenue Service, where the word means the same thing. What were they thinking? Honesty, when your honest intent is to cheat your paying customers, is sadly misplaced.

When Unreal Tournament 3 was released in November 2007, it had huge problems that devastated the reputation of Epic Games. After a year of not doing the right thing, somebody in the company saw the error of their ways and they went back to work. Now Unreal Tournament 3 is a great game because they realized that contempt for customers doesn't just hurt that game's sales, it undermines the true currency of the marketplace: trust.

After a similar length of time, instead of "rudder amidships" we still hear "rudder....rudder." How long will "extreme speed ahead" endure?

There are simply too many marketplace alternatives by companies who get it that "customer" is spelled with a capital "C" and who genuinely love them for us to waste our money on a game which shouldn't exist from a company who doesn't deserve to live. Off with Ubi's head! I'm done with them.

And thanks for all the fish.
Old 04-06-10, 07:32 AM   #82
Bilge_Rat
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 344

blah, blah, blah...

...what happened to Sailor Steve's wise words not to turn this into a shooting war?

The game has been out for 5 weeks, most Subsimmers who were planning to buy it despite DRM have already done so and have either decided: a) it has "potential" or b) it's a POS and have moved on.

Continually posting I will not buy it until Ubisoft does this or does that is totally useless and we all know it. Ubisoft will release as many patches as it chooses and not one more. It will remove the DRM from SH5 when (or if) it makes financial sense.

yes, posters are free to keep posting exactly the same statement over and over and over again, but is'nt the definition of insanity to keep repeating the same action while expecting a different result?
Old 04-06-10, 07:45 AM   #83
Kremmen
Torpedoman

Downloads: 138

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilge_Rat View Post

yes, posters are free to keep posting exactly the same statement over and over and over again, but is'nt the definition of insanity to keep repeating the same action while expecting a different result?
Should forward that last part to Ubisoft methinks

Old 04-06-10, 08:49 AM   #84
robbo180265
Admiral

Downloads: 122

Quote:
blah, blah, blah...

...what happened to Sailor Steve's wise words not to turn this into a shooting war?

The game has been out for 5 weeks, most Subsimmers who were planning to buy it despite DRM have already done so and have either decided: a) it has "potential" or b) it's a POS and have moved on.

Continually posting I will not buy it until Ubisoft does this or does that is totally useless and we all know it. Ubisoft will release as many patches as it chooses and not one more. It will remove the DRM from SH5 when (or if) it makes financial sense.

The second sensible post in this thread....

Edit to add: No I'm not getting involved in the fight - but I am getting bleeding bored with it!
Old 04-06-10, 09:07 AM   #85
IanC
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CybaGirl View Post
So how do you like running Linux? Are your games running well on it? What's the software support like? Any good? I mean you must be running Linux? As you couldn't possibly be running and encouraging an O/S from a company who has dished out inferior products in the past.
I actually love my Ubuntu Linux, it's a great piece of software.

Quote:
Who says it's unfinished? Is that your opinion or the opinion of the original designer and developer(s) of the game? If so. Can you please post the link where it's stated that the game is unfinished? Just because something isn't finished in yours or someone else's eyes doesn't mean that the software is actually unfinished. What this means is. In your opinion the game is unfinished and nothing more. Because it does not live up to your expectations nor does it have or does it do certain things that you would like it to do out of the box.
Who says it's unfinished!? Do I have to list you all the bugs that show that the devs clearly ran out of time, and that the game is indeed unfinished? This has nothing to do with my opinion.

Quote:
I wonder if you have ever tried explaining your philosophy to Windows users? I am sure many will not agree with your line of thinking. As Windows has no real competition! Yet they have and no doubt will continue to release buggy software in the future. Yet it is still sold by the millions! Its a fact of life not all software is ever finished nor is it 100% bug free. Yet people still buy it and people still support the companies who make such things. I mean even after all these years Windows XP is still getting updated and patched. Yet many believe this was the best O/S MS ever created.
I'm sorry I can't follow your line of reasoning. You're comparing Windows XP to the Silent Hunter games.
Old 04-06-10, 09:24 AM   #86
IanC
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Méo View Post
Let's face it, it will be very long before SH5 meets your standards ....if ever.

There should be some kind of e-mail list in which you could subscribe and then Neal or one of the moderator here could send you a message once the game has been fixed and once the DRM has been removed.

So you wouldn't need to click on the ''Silent Hunter 5 forum'' every day and we wouldn't have to see the same old and endless complains over and over and over again.
I have a better idea Méo. Why don't you subscribe to an email list and then Neal or one of the moderators here could send you a message once the game has been fixed.
That way you can come back in the forum every day and say how good a subsim SH5 is and actually be right for once.
Old 04-06-10, 10:24 AM   #87
Faamecanic
Ace of the Deep

Quote:
blah, blah, blah...

And who is holding the gun to your head forcing you to not only read the complaint posts but then comment on the people posting their dissatisfaction?

As much as you and others constantly kavetch about being tired and bored of reading all the complaint posts.... you sure have no problem leaving your comment in every one of them (usually just to bash those with valid complaints).

I wish to complain about the complainers complaining about the complaints!!

Last edited by Faamecanic; 04-06-10 at 10:35 AM.
Old 04-06-10, 10:29 AM   #88
Faamecanic
Ace of the Deep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
After a similar length of time, instead of "rudder amidships" we still hear "rudder....rudder." How long will "extreme speed ahead" endure?
Funny...the rudder rudder was a problem in SH 4 as well...well except for the fact that in SH4 you heard this after going to FULL rudder and back (which we cant do very well in SH 5 without going EXTREME/LUDICROUS speed ahead at the same time....great for when your underwater trying to evade that listening group of DD's overhead)
Old 04-06-10, 10:34 AM   #89
Faamecanic
Ace of the Deep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDK1044 View Post
The outcome for Silent Hunter 5 is really dependent on whether Ubisoft continues to support the game with patches when sales of the game will be lower than their expectations, and whether they choose to remove the DRM component.

If they determine that low sales means no patch 3 or 4, then Silent Hunter 5 is dead in the water. The modders can only fix so much, and the game would die a natural death.

If Ubisoft has an epiphany, continues patching the game and removes the DRM, then the future is much brighter.

It's not about giving Silent Hunter 5 a chance; it's about a major Publisher admitting that they made a mistake and fixing it.
Well said in 500 words or less.
Old 04-06-10, 10:36 AM   #90
robbo180265
Admiral

Downloads: 122

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faamecanic View Post
And who is holding the gun to your head forcing you to not only read the complaint posts but then comment on the people posting their dissatisfaction?

I wish to complain about the complainers complaining about the complaints!!
Ok I will bite now.

I've seen threads where SHV owners ask for help with something and get the reply: "blah, blah, blah, DRM. Blah , blah , blah Unfinished game - not buying it"

I've seen threads praising SHV (like this one in fact) Only for the first or second reply to go: "blah, blah, blah, DRM. Blah , blah , blah Unfinished game - not buying it"

I've seen reviews where the replies go something like: "blah, blah, blah, DRM. Blah , blah , blah Unfinished game - not buying it"

I GET IT OK??????

Saying it over and over and over - what does it achieve ? Nothing other than annoying a lot of people.

If we dare to argue against the "blah, blah, blah, DRM. Blah , blah , blah Unfinished game - not buying it" Then we are called fanbois or worse.

Closed Thread

Tags
best subsim, bug, complaints, drama, drm, far too silly, sh5