Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-23-19, 11:34 AM   #1
karl44
Nub

Downloads: 30
Uploads: 0
Default Terrible FPS and Lags

Hello sailors,
first I have to apologize my bad English but I am from Germany. I have recently installed Silent Hunter 5 on my laptop and wondered why the detection tool displayed a wrong graphics driver version (way too low). After that I noticed that I have very low FPS and permanent lags despite low graphics settings (no shadows, no 3D Clouds, etc.). Maybe someone had the same problem or can help me how to get it back to work? I have a NVIDIA Gtx 960m (with newest driver), Windows 10, Intel i7-6700HQ CPU 2.60GHz, 64bit and 16GB RAM.
Greetings Karl
karl44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-19, 12:29 PM   #2
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome aboard!

karl44,

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-19, 12:46 PM   #3
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Downloads: 107
Uploads: 4

With some laptops there is the problem that a program cannot always recognize the main dedicated GPU, and it will go with the low performance Intel Grafics instead.

In Windows 10 you can right-click on the app (sh5.exe) to make it start with your main GPU, on older Windows versions this is far more complicated, I have no idea how to do it, but you must make sure SH5 starts with your main GPU.

Cheers and welcome to Subsim,
XS
XenonSurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-19, 01:41 AM   #4
karl44
Nub

Thank you very much for your hint!
i have tried it and now it runs a bit smoother, but still not completely. Maybe i can also change something in the NVIDIA System control or there is something else.
Old 07-24-19, 05:50 AM   #5
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Downloads: 107
Uploads: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by karl44 View Post
Thank you very much for your hint!
i have tried it and now it runs a bit smoother, but still not completely. Maybe i can also change something in the NVIDIA System control or there is something else.

With your card (GTX 960M) you should run SH5 without problems if your card has 2GB VRAM or more. It's important that you close programs running in the background, or activated services that take away system RAM and processor load. Also for laptops: chose Energieoptionen > Höchstleistung in Windows.

As for NVidia settings, I have left everything default on my system (GTX 960 4GB VRAM) and also default in-game, but you can try to set the scaling options to "Fullscreen" and "Scale with GPU". Because Nvidia cards work well with cache technology this could improve your performance. Revert if it takes away too much FPS. If still you have performance problems, then instead of changing NVidia settings, reduce the grafic options in-game in the game options.

Last edited by XenonSurf; 07-24-19 at 06:00 AM.
XenonSurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-19, 10:03 AM   #6
karl44
Nub

Thanks mate, I have tried a bit in my options and now it runs mostly fine and fluently.
Old 07-28-19, 07:50 PM   #7
AP514
Gunner

Downloads: 6

GTX 960M..you must have a LENOVO Y700 ?
AP514 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gtx 960m, low fps, nvidia