Uploads: 0

She wears the hat well.

Old 04-10-20, 06:08 AM   #5582
u crank
Old enough to know better

Downloads: 136

Kenny Burrell - Midnight Blue

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”

― Arthur C. Clarke

u crank is online  
Old 04-10-20, 07:10 AM   #5583
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Old 04-10-20, 07:40 AM   #5584
vienna
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85

Quote:
Originally Posted by u crank View Post
Kenny Burrell - Midnight Blue

Once again,beat to the mark...

I had been wanting to post a Kenny Burrell clip for a while, but kept putting it off; this clip is a number covered by Stevie Ray Vaughn; much has been made of SRV being influenced by Hendrix, the 3 Kings (Albert, BB, Freddie), and Buddy Guy, among others, but this clip shows really how much SRV was also influenced by Kenny Burrell:

Found this while browsing; video quality isn't great but being able to see two grandmasters of guitar history and recording history have fun playing together is worth a bit of squinting:

Something just occurred to me: if someone, not knowing who Les Paul was, has approached him and asked him what kind of guitar he was playing, would he have answered, "Its a 'Me'"...?...

<O>
Old 04-10-20, 07:49 AM   #5585
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Old 04-10-20, 08:14 AM   #5586
vienna
Navy Seal

Les Paul is well known as the originator of recording techniques such as tape delay/echo, phasing, flanging (way before John Lennon stumbled across the technique with the Beatles) and, most importantly, multi-tracking or, as some refer to it incorrectly, overdubbing. There has been a huge rise in what has been called looping lately and the advances in technology have made the practice incredibly easy and incredibly inexpensive; nowadays, you can buy a very decent looping unit for less than USD $50.00 on E-Bay. The principle is simple: the musician plays a phrase, activates the looper and, as the phrase is played, it is recorded; the player then saves the recording, which is then played back in a loop, and the player then plays a second part over the loop recording; some units actually offer the option of layering loops over each other, creating an effect similar to studio multi-tracking. Les Paul actually invented a looping device for live performances way back in the 1950s; he had a series of tape decks stashed backstage hooked up to the venues sound system that was controlled remotely by a "black box" attached to the body of his guitar; for a very long time, the mysterious "black box" stymied audiences trying to figure out how he got so much sound out of one guitar:

Today's musicians owe a huge debt to the creativity, inventiveness, and artistry that was Les Paul...

<O>
Old 04-10-20, 08:19 AM   #5587
u crank
Old enough to know better

Downloads: 136

Quote:
Originally Posted by vienna View Post
Once again,beat to the mark...
It's a time zone thing. I'm up earlier.

I'm not a big jazz fan but I do dabble occasionally, especially the guitarists. One thing I love about jazz albums recorded in the 50's and 60's is the sound. Non of the modern digital brittleness just that pure analog sound. Very soothing in these troubed times.

Another great guitarist who influenced so many ...

D-Natural Blues - Wes Montgomery

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”

― Arthur C. Clarke

u crank is online  
Old 04-10-20, 09:21 AM   #5588
vienna
Navy Seal

Quote:
It's a time zone thing. I'm up earlier.

Jeez, I wasn't aware your island was ahead in time by weeks, not hours...

Quote:
I'm not a big jazz fan but I do dabble occasionally, especially the guitarists. One thing I love about jazz albums recorded in the 50's and 60's is the sound. Non of the modern digital brittleness just that pure analog sound. Very soothing in these troubed times.

I also have a bit of a liking for jazz; my hometown of San Francisco has long been a famed jazz hub; when I was a kid, my dad brought home to me one of those then new-fangled transistor radios from one of his voyages to Japan; I used to listen to the radio, hidden under my pillow in bed, and, like a lot of other kids, scour the dial to find and hear all the different kinds of music; there was one jazz station i like to listen to and that is where I first heard all those great recording by those great musicians, some who were already legends and some who soon would be...

One of the DJs on the jazz station was a guy known as Sylvester; he would later shorten his name and find fame as Sly Stone...

Another jazz guitar great, considered by many to be the 'father of Electric Guitar' is Charlie Christian. Like Hendrix, Christian burst on the music scene, produced some of the most innovative sounds and techniques in early electric guitar playing, and, like Hendrix passed away after only a few years of fame. Hendrix also cited Charlie Christian as a major influence. Christian was a member of Benny Goodman's musical enterprises, playing in both Goodman's big bands and his smaller combos. Prior to Christian, guitarist in big bands played mainly acoustic, unamplified guitars , barely being heard above the louder instruments; they also tended to play "comp" (accompaniment) in the bands, strumming chords and rarely playing lead lines, due to their low volume. Christian got his gig with Goodman due to a bit of trickery done by the great recording producer, John Hammond; Hammond had tried to get Goodman to hire Christian, but Goodman wasn't interested; it didn't help that Christian had a rather poor private audition, outside of a band setting with Goodman; the story goes that Hammond was able to get a better sort of 'audition' for Christian when he took him to a club where Goodman's big band was playing and snuck him onto the bandstand; when Charlie began to play, Goodman was at first very annoyed; Goodman even tried to sabotage Christian's playing by having his band play a number he didn't think Christian could handle, but he not only was able to keep up, he played so well and with such creativity, Goodman extended the number to about a half an hour to see just how good Christian really was; when he realized just how great a musician Christian was in a full band setting, he immediately hired him after the show and the rest is, as they say, history...

This is a shorter version of the number Goodman tried to use to trip up Christian..

<O>
Old 04-11-20, 06:46 AM   #5589
Eisenwurst
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 58
Default "One Year Around the World - Los Angeles".

Mark Benesh is a globetrotting photographer - musician - composer.

With Corona Virus sweeping the World and being in "lockdown" practically everywhere, it's nice to see the world as it was not so long ago.

World cities set to beautiful music.

Maybe some of us will say "look I can see my house".

There's a whole series of these on youtube. The "Rome" one is especially nice.

Old 04-11-20, 07:37 AM   #5590
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Old 04-11-20, 06:30 PM   #5591
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Downloads: 0

Sort of catchy tune, uh? Almost like today's, "How many times must I be quarantined"

or achievement

Lord help me get to the next plateau ..

Old 04-11-20, 06:39 PM   #5592
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Downloads: 0

Here's one you've heard before, but this one is from Japan and really top quality

or achievement

Lord help me get to the next plateau ..

Old 04-12-20, 09:32 AM   #5593
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Old 04-13-20, 07:54 AM   #5594
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Old 04-13-20, 05:05 PM   #5595
vienna
Navy Seal

When Clapton was still Clapton...

<O>

Tags
music