SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-27-20, 09:09 PM   #1
Skweetis
Watch Officer

Downloads: 38
Uploads: 0
Default Hey Neal, you still got copies of the book from back around 2010, maybe earlier?

Hey Neal, been a while!

I been on a long hiatus with life, but had a house fire back in January. Some things are seemingly irreplaceable (or I didnt look hard enough online maybe?) but you had that book about subsim from way back when. I had a copy on my shelf. Now I dont. It still kicking around? I'd like to replace it if possible!

Anyway, hope all's good with you and yours in these interesting times!!

Cheers!
Old 05-27-20, 09:16 PM   #2
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome back!

Skweetis!after a 13 year silent run,

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-20, 09:36 PM   #3
Skweetis
Watch Officer

Haha! Thanks! Yeahhhhh, the stories I could tell, so much time since I've posted!

Lost at sea for like 10 years, then a lot of lurking in the last couple months as Ive had much more time finally!

Funny story I gotta share from the last month or so, booted up SH3 and SH4 on my old 2009 laptop, ran okay, ran like **** with mods. Wanted to run SH5 and check it out: slide show. Ordered a cheap laptop, that was a little more modern, three days later. Ran much better. Even SH5. Kind of. Long story short, I upgraded a week after that to a mid-high range gaming laptop so I could try Uboat without the slideshow (still needs to ferment).

Went back to SH3, could have kept the old laptop, but here I am, in shutdown burning money I should not have spent on a hobby I love so much, but don't get enough time to immerse in, but now have! hahaha

Cheers!

Edit: We all come back!

Last edited by Skweetis; 05-27-20 at 09:50 PM.
Skweetis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-20, 10:35 PM   #4
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skweetis View Post
Hey Neal, been a while!

I been on a long hiatus with life, but had a house fire back in January. Some things are seemingly irreplaceable (or I didnt look hard enough online maybe?) but you had that book about subsim from way back when. I had a copy on my shelf. Now I dont. It still kicking around? I'd like to replace it if possible!

Anyway, hope all's good with you and yours in these interesting times!!

Cheers!
Hey buddy, welcome back but sorry about the fire, that's terrible. Everybody ok?

You looking for the 2007 book?
https://www.amazon.com/2007-Submarin.../dp/061515381X

Or the 2008 version?
https://www.amazon.com/2008-Submarin.../dp/061518426X

Glad you found your way back, cheers!

Neal
Onkel Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-20, 11:33 PM   #5
Skweetis
Watch Officer

Good to see you too Onkel!
That's the one! I couldn't remember the title, and my google-fu sucks nowadays, and insurance needs itemized lists! Thank you, Sir!

Everybody's okay, thanks for asking! I'm gonna rant about it, only because a fire has never happened to me, and I never expected it would.

We got out as soon as the smoke alarms went off. I can't stress this enough, check your fire alarms people! Bare minutes would have killed us all horribly. Just the heat from the smoke and gases was enough to melt our bathroom mirrors into globs in the sinks! Firefighters told us it was over 2700 degrees upstairs at its worst.

Fire was completely within the walls and ceilings and not visible to us other than smoke which eventually tripped the fire alarms.

House was a new build, just over 15 months old.

Insurance has taken well care of us. Personal replaceable stuff is gone, firefighters went to extremes of personal safety to salvage what they could. We will forever be grateful. In these situations, dollar value means nothing, those irreplaceable are the only **** you care about.

Everything else is surprisingly replaceable for a dollar amount, but you gotta find it. Going through item by item is painstaking, but so far worth it. You have no idea what you own, until its gone and you're on your driveway, shirtless in pyjama pants and a beatup old work coat in the middle of a January snowstorm.

Here's what I pass down to the younger, and anyone else who has not faced a house fire:

Test your fire alarms, and change batteries every year. Set a date on your phone. Have insurance. Don't own a home? get renters/contents insurance. $30k of contents insurance is dirt cheap. Don't think you have 30k worth of stuff? you probably do, once you sit down for a few weeks and count it all. Lastly, don't **** with fire. Alarms going off, don't mess around, just get everyone out Forget the stuff, its not worth it. **** oges from a little smoke to deadly smoke inferno in moments with little warning.

Okay, rant over. My apologies! It's just such a peripheral thing until it happens to you, and it never goes how you think!

But yeah happy, healthy and okay!

Last edited by Skweetis; 05-27-20 at 11:48 PM.
Skweetis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-20, 11:43 PM   #6
Skweetis
Watch Officer

Okay, it was the 2007 I had! I had no idea about the 2008, but Ill throw it on the list as well
Old 05-28-20, 07:23 AM   #7
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Yeah, losing the personal items would be devastating. Man, that must have been your dream house too, new build. That sucks sucks sucks. But like you said, it was good that no one was killed, that could easily be the case. With fire, you never know how it will end up.

Thanks for the reminder, I'm just moved into a new home and I will be adding fire alarms to my monthly list.
Old 05-28-20, 10:08 AM   #8
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Great to know nobody was injured or killed....everything else is replaceable usually.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is online   Reply With Quote