SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH5 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-15-10, 02:02 PM   #1
Cerberus62
A-ganger

Downloads: 75
Uploads: 0
[TEC] WARNING: UPlay overwrites mod files without permission

If you connect via UPlay with Ubisoft to download some of the add-on files in exchange for accumulated game points (e. g. camouflage texture files or single player missions), you'll get trapped.

Whenever you alter or delete one of these downloaded files, they will be reinstalled again and again each time you start the game. This weird behaviour leads to the fact, that parts of previously installed mods are constantly overwritten!

Example: The single player mission to sink the Ark Royal overwrites the loadout definition file (NCV_Ark_Royal.eqp). Don't know why, this makes no sense at all. But to make things worse, if this file has been changed by a mod, it'll be overwritten again with the default version when you start the game. Even if you mark the files as write protected, they'll be replaced with the default version.

The same happens to the important file UpgradePacks.upc if you decide to download the additional textures. And you can't get rid of this malicious behaviour at all, it seems to be irreversible. Reinstall the whole game and your files will be overwritten anyway.

So be warned, NEVER EVER download an add-on via UPlay if you want to keep your files the way you installed them with JSGME!

The additional files you'll get are not worth the trouble. The missions are ridiculous simple. And concerning the texture files: As soon as I've found a way to restore my system, I'll upload them for everyone's usage - without the danger of Uplay/Ubisoft botching your system up. Another impertinence of this company that unfriendly people would call a little rat-shop. Sorry, I get angry as hell is someone dares to mess up my files unasked!
Cerberus62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-10, 04:55 PM   #2
SashaKA001
中国水兵

Downloads: 231

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerberus62 View Post
If you connect via UPlay with Ubisoft to download some of the add-on files in exchange for accumulated game points (e. g. camouflage texture files or single player missions), you'll get trapped.

Whenever you alter or delete one of these downloaded files, they will be reinstalled again and again each time you start the game. This weird behaviour leads to the fact, that parts of previously installed mods are constantly overwritten!

Example: The single player mission to sink the Ark Royal overwrites the loadout definition file (NCV_Ark_Royal.eqp). Don't know why, this makes no sense at all. But to make things worse, if this file has been changed by a mod, it'll be overwritten again with the default version when you start the game. Even if you mark the files as write protected, they'll be replaced with the default version.

The same happens to the important file UpgradePacks.upc if you decide to download the additional textures. And you can't get rid of this malicious behaviour at all, it seems to be irreversible. Reinstall the whole game and your files will be overwritten anyway.

So be warned, NEVER EVER download an add-on via UPlay if you want to keep your files the way you installed them with JSGME!

The additional files you'll get are not worth the trouble. The missions are ridiculous simple. And concerning the texture files: As soon as I've found a way to restore my system, I'll upload them for everyone's usage - without the danger of Uplay/Ubisoft botching your system up. Another impertinence of this company that unfriendly people would call a little rat-shop. Sorry, I get angry as hell is someone dares to mess up my files unasked!
That's what brings greed Ubisoft!!!!
nor when it did not use their service
SashaKA001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-10, 10:25 AM   #3
pacificat0r
Nub

Downloads: 1

As I remember, Uplay should stop rewriting the mods that affect uplay rewards if you rename/delete the following files from the "data" folder: r2.rw, r3.rw, r4.rw.
pacificat0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-10, 10:56 AM   #4
Webster
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

well im sure they were trying to make sure you got the updates no matter how you may have made mistakes in your game, but instead there should have been a way to let you go back and get them again if needed and not be forced upon you by the continuos auto updates.

very likely this was one of the things on the list for the next game update that was canceled but we will never know
Old 11-16-10, 08:10 PM   #5
Cerberus62
A-ganger

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacificat0r View Post
As I remember, Uplay should stop rewriting the mods that affect uplay rewards if you rename/delete the following files from the "data" folder: r2.rw, r3.rw, r4.rw.
Really, pacificat0r, you made my day! It works, and aside from that, the game even loads faster.

Thanks a lot for your advice!
Old 11-16-10, 08:46 PM   #6
Cerberus62
A-ganger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webster View Post
well im sure they were trying to make sure you got the updates no matter how you may have made mistakes in your game, but instead there should have been a way to let you go back and get them again if needed and not be forced upon you by the continuos auto updates.

very likely this was one of the things on the list for the next game update that was canceled but we will never know
Thank you for your reply, Webster. I agree to your assumption concerning the devs intentions. But Ubisoft saves how many points you have already paid and which add-ons you have 'purchased'. So there should be no need for continuous auto-updates, if they would have granted permission to download these files again.

As the case may be, with pacificat0r's proposal we've got a satisfying solution.
Old 11-17-10, 04:47 AM   #7
elanaiba
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 3
Uploads: 3

Not to forget, Uplay also contains the Queen Mary (without it activated you just use the Rawalpindi as proxy) and the Ark Royal. You really want to have those ON by some method (borrow from friend?).

elanaiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-10, 05:23 PM   #8
Cerberus62
A-ganger

Quote:
Originally Posted by elanaiba View Post
Not to forget, Uplay also contains the Queen Mary (without it activated you just use the Rawalpindi as proxy) and the Ark Royal. You really want to have those ON by some method (borrow from friend?).
Well, I think I know what you mean, but... Ark Royal is already in the default campaign, and that's the "real" NCV_Ark_Royal unit file, not a proxy. No need for UPlay activation anyway. And the single player mission to sink the Ark Royal is IMHO nothing than a joke. If you open the SM08.misge with MissionEditor2, you'll recognize how simple it is done. A task force steering a course. Your u-boat with an intercepting course. No triggers, no events, no randomization. To be rebuild in 3 minutes by a nooby. Boring.

Queen Mary uses the NAMC_Rawalpindi resp. NTR_Rawalpindi files unless you connect to UPlay. But in MissionEditor2 she's available as the real model file by default (q. v. http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=176864). So the correct unit file appears in missions.

And concerning the campaign: I'd rather rework every single campaign file and manually replace the passenger liner entries with the correct units before I shall download any stuff via UPlay again. Just my 2 cents...
Old 11-17-10, 05:52 PM   #9
elanaiba
Ace of the Deep

Hmmm, maybe I need more coffee

But really, the mission cannot make anything appear, it just references the unit. if the unit is a proxy, the proxy will appear. If the unit is the real deal, that will appear.

The Ark Royal will load the Illustrious, the Queen Mary the Rawalpindi.

They are already in the campaign or missions, but the proxies will appear in their place at the right moment.

Old 11-18-10, 02:17 PM   #10
Cerberus62
A-ganger

Well, I met the Ark Royal in the campaign, long before I downloaded anything via UPlay. And I'm quite shure, this WAS the model of the HMS Ark Royal, neither a proxy of the HMS Illustrious, nor that of any other ship.

AFAIK a ship appears in the campaign if it is either determinated as a specific unit or as a random unit from a group class (here: Fleet Carriers, UnitType=9). Everything that is needed to show up a working unit of HMS Ark Royal is included in the vanilla game. So the game displays randomly one of these units defined as type 9 (Ark Royal, Courageous, Eagle, Illustrious etc.) if the mission contains a random generated naval group with generic fleet carriers.

I haven't met the RMS Queen Mary yet, therefore I can't say, if she's using a proxy of NAMC_Rawalpindi in the campaign. But if this should be the case, it would be possible to edit the mission files of the campaign with MissionEditor and link the appearing passenger liner to the model of NPP_QueenMary, as this model is included in the vanilla game with all it's functionality. Otherwise she wouldn't appear in a single mission, but she definitely does.

Oh, and of course the UNIT appears, not the FILE. You're right, my last posting has been mistakable.

Last edited by Cerberus62; 11-18-10 at 03:45 PM.
Old 11-18-10, 04:40 PM   #11
elanaiba
Ace of the Deep

A ship in the campaign appears using the same mechanics as the mission.

BUT I was just testing this on a recently installed copy .... and now I have the correct ship models !? I'm pretty sure I checked it a couple of days ago and they were not there, but in the meantime I patched the install... maybe the patch brought the ship models.

Oh well, if thats the case, no biggie In fact its for the better.

Old 11-18-10, 10:33 PM   #12
Madox58
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

It must be the last patch.
I don't have that patch installed and everything is 'placer' Units.
What I'm wondering now is,
Does the patch extract from the .rw files or actually send the Units?

The .rw files can be extracted by some clever codeing.
(Don't ask! )
But if they are already done?
Why waste the time.
Old 11-19-10, 02:09 PM   #13
elanaiba
Ace of the Deep

One thing to remember that even if the ship models are activated, you will not see them IN THE MUSEUM as they are still disabled in the museum.cfg file.

Old 11-19-10, 06:41 PM   #14
Cerberus62
A-ganger

Quote:
Originally Posted by elanaiba View Post
One thing to remember that even if the ship models are activated, you will not see them IN THE MUSEUM as they are still disabled in the museum.cfg file.
Do you mean THIS Museum? Well, I know when I see the Ark Royal and I'm looking at her right now...

Old 11-19-10, 07:26 PM   #15
elanaiba
Ace of the Deep

Did you activate it on Uplay or mod the museum it on another way?