SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Sub & Naval Discussions: World Naval News, Books, & Films
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-08-16, 02:29 PM   #1
Kapitan
Sub Test Pilot

Downloads: 68
Uploads: 7

Default The Great German Submarine Hunt (pics and lots of type)

The Great German submarine hunt 2016

And so here it all begins part two of the European submarine road trip came true, this time our travels took myself Jo and Monkey to the distant regions of Northern Germany, our mission was simple, find and document just four submarines in just four days.
Taking on this challenge would be a test of Patience and endurance long days late nights and early mornings, however the mission we had set ourselves was achievable until that is we found another submarine to hunt down.

Leaving home at 0430 on a rather damp Saturday morning Jo and I couldn’t help but feel we had woken up before we had even gone to sleep, in my case that was true (Insomnia), however task in hand we set off on our merry way with the vain hope of a half edible breakfast and the promise of an hours sleep on the plane (Yeah right keep dreaming).

After our short hop touching down 10 minutes late we proceeded to find our hire car, oh boy little did we know that it would take us longer to find the car than the entire journey across to Hamburg! Anyway delays and hiccup sorted we headed off to hunt down our first target U434 a Tango class submarine.

We drove through the city fortunately not like lunatics or James Bond let’s face Have you ever seen James Bond in a Ford Fiesta?
Anyways a little something caught Jo’s eye so we made a pit stop only to find something else equally as interesting the freighter Cap San Diego, built in 1962 for the south America run its now a museum and she also goes to sea occasionally so we bookmarked to return after we had found our elusive Russian submarine.

It wasn’t a long drive nor was it a difficult submarine to spot so when we found the big black rubber whale we parked up and as normal prepared ourselves, cameras and Monkey to board.
Project 641B Som NATO code name Tango is a conventional submarine produced in the 1970’s a total of 18 have been 3 have been preserved and 1 is believed to be in active service with the black sea fleet.
Designed to replace the foxtrot they were themselves surpassed by the much more advanced Kilo Project 636/877 boats, now just for some information here a British Trafalgar class SSN is 5.3meters shorter that he Tango (90.4m), while the Tango is propelled by a triple screw system the latter is a single screw design making it much quieter, to counter this the Tango is covered in Rubber and is known to the crew as Rezinka.
The Tango was much improved over the older noisier Foxtrot it did make less noise it was only slightly larger (Tango is the largest Diesel submarine in the world) but it carried more batteries and could go longer submerged before snorkelling than previous submarines (an entire week)

After we took our Outside photos it was time to bounce along to the inside and to be honest for a submarine this was spacious, ok not as spacious as an Oscar or Typhoon but for a conventional submarine this was quite roomy.
The first thing that hits you once your down the hatch is the smell yes it still stinks of diesel oil although it’s not as bad as it would have been had it still been in active use.
Walking through you really do get an appreciation of just how simple the Russians like to build the submarines their theory is clear as day here, cheap simple and practical.

While on board we bumped into an Ex Royal navy submariner Who like us was doing a tour of submarines with his wife, he had served 30 years Royal Navy and his last boat was Astute, if he is here I would like to say he was right and I was wrong about the flare tubes, and I also found out something else about them too they are the same on the foxtrot and kilo so that’s one item that has never changed!

Anyways after the visit we went to the shop and got talking he turns out to be a really decent guy and told us somethings and we shared opinions, unfortunately I didn’t catch his name.

After we departed we decided to take a stroll back to the Cap San Diego we were by now well ahead of schedule and had time to spare so we ventured down the promenade through some dodgy roadworks trying not to get hit by traffic as we walked along the road then onto the dockside.

Cap San Diego isn’t a large ship in fact she is only just 11,000tons however she is a pretty ship and still in use, she is well maintained and looked after by her volunteer crew and you can see she is much loved.

Due to the time we realised this was going to be a slight rush trip so we did belt around her a little only to find out we needn’t have worried, we went stem to stern bridge to engine room countering each other as we went along.
After the visit to Cap San Diego we decided to call it a day and eat as we hadn’t had a meal since Gatwick at 0545 that morning and now we were pushing 1800, and we also had to check in to the hotel!

Another day another challenge

I would like to say the day started with us waking up all bright eyed and bushy tailed however such was not the case, and now instead of making friends we have made some enemies notably the next door neighbours who thought in their drunken stupor it would be a lark to wake us up at 0200 with their kissing and making up because someone said something and it upset jack, Stuff Jack!
I’m not sure if we ever did meet jack but at 0430 came the knocking and throwing money at the door trick, already irate Jo quite loudly told the anus where to go in not such polite terms.
So after just around 5 hours sleep we decided time to get going leaving early heading for Wilhelmshaven and the Submarine U-10.

I must say the autobahn’s are much more fun in a car than a truck although I would have much preferred my jaguar to the ford fiesta especially the speed factor (yes it just made 100mph downhill with a following wind!) but anyways after a fair drive we finally approach the museum, there before us was a treasure trove the German Destroyer Molders, A mine sweeper Wilhelm and U10 sitting up nice and proud on blocks, as well as many other assorted items including a piece of the Tirpitz !

Well needless to say we arrived just as the museum opened wasting no time we decided to view the place and plan our attack.
Touring the museum we found some very interesting items including what’s left of the naval academies doors and more over the shield from the WWI battleship Ostfriezland which is famous for being sunk by Billy Mitchell trying to prove that air power dominated the battleship, well I think history has proved this man right don’t you?
Anyways after the walk around we decided to do the submarine its small but also she has a unique tail end I have never seen diving planes and rudders in this arrangement before!

Once inside the submarine we noticed that it was in fact quite tiny and nothing like the Tango, these small boat provided the defence of west Germany throughout the cold war in the Baltic and North Sea, U-10 is quite a sight and is well restored you can tour her at your own leisure.

After the submarine came the minesweeper and yes monkey had to go and sit on a mine, fortunately it was a dud we all know how frustrating duds are but at least it didn’t knock the stuffing out of him.
She is definitely a Tupperware ship made of wood and non-magnetic items (yes I don’t wonder why) this vessel served the Germans well from the 1950’s and even today some are still active in Estonia and some have also been converted into a pleasure cruiser so they have had long lives, the first impression of this once I’ve gone below is that despite outward appearances it is in fact dam small to the point I question if I’d rather be on the seehund or this, as you can see in the pictures on the album I did kind of struggle to get in and out of the bunk!

Well after the short and brief tour which included climbing up the funnel and acting like 5 year olds on a school trip (we were in our element regression is great) we then progressed on to the Molders the largest ship in the collection.

We board the molders at the stern and are greeted quite nicely with a SM-2 missile and its launcher, now for those who don’t know Molders is one of Three Modified Charles F Adams destroyers built for the west German navy in the 1960’s and named after famous people cough can you guess? Well here they are Lutjens (Sink the Bismarck anyone?) And Rommel ironic isn’t it that an army general should have a ship named after him?

In recent times one ship has caught the worlds eye Molders sister ship Lutjens, when just 3 days after the devastating attacks on the twin tower the German Vessel approached the USS Gonzalez and USS Winston S Churchill fully manning the rail flying the American flag and holding a banner which said “We stand by you.”

Ironically Lutjens became the last steam powered German warship she was also the Last ship ever commissioned into the German navy with the designation Destroyer, these remarkable ships served the German navy through division and Re unification Molders serves as a memory that you can physically feel and touch as you walk around the vessel you really do get a sense of what life was like and just what you were up against, the odds numerically were always stacked against you.

The trip here was quite a moving one although they didn’t see battle they are moored alongside a former East German Patrol craft which was handed over after the Re Unification of Germany.

I am going to add here as a side note and a mention a certain gentleman who I am friends with on Facebook and is a member of subsim LINTON yes that is you! just before I left for Germany Linton shared his memories which not only intrigued me but also learning a lot at the same time, as he was there when the wall came down and witnessed this unique piece of European and world history unfold before him.

After we completed this museum the trip took a new turn this time to something that was so advanced it could outrun a corvette submerged, yes I am talking about the Type XXI submarine Wilhelm Bauer.
it doesn’t take long to actually get from Wilhelmshaven to Bremerhaven even quicker if you take the ferry but we drove as neither of us knew it was there nor if it was running, but we still made it.

The submarine is unique if not clinical it is very well preserved which considering it spent 12 years at the bottom of the Baltic is quite remarkable, it is operated as a separate entity to the museum of shipping thus requires an entrance fee, and she is well worth it she doesn’t show her age and the museum is fairly restricted but you can wonder around at your own free will.

The type XXI went on to be the base of most modern submarines that featured in the early cold war notably the GUPPY programme and the soviets also gleamed it creating the Zulu, Lima, Quebec, and the most notable Whiskey classes which were to become the first generation of cold war submarines.

The type XXI Is a good museum but it’s also located right next door to the shipping museum one notable ship in the collection is sea falke a support vessel and tug sunk during the war and then raised and put back into service.
The museum is large in the building they do have multiple displays from the first frigate which is looking like the Mary Rose to the most modern model of the container ships, also featured are the bells of the German liners Bremen and Europa, now due to the time limits we had just one hour and we decided to split up moving fast a bit like Linford Christi with a bad foot I managed to obtain most of the museum in camera but forgive me if the pictures are not exactly brilliant.

After the departure and closing of the museum we decided to head back to the hotel, day two completed and two more submarines plus extras crossed off the list tomorrow will be another adventure.

A new day and another surprise

Waking up wasn’t so easy today it will definitely end in violence should the noise continue through the night as yet again our “friends” decided to make a racket right through the night.
Well after a few hours of broken sleep each we are pretty much running on empty however we have used our time wisely and we have also made a plan.
During the night we discovered another submarine museum near where we are going to today Fremarnham is home to U11 a submarine similar to the U10 we saw back in Wilhelmshaven, not to be out done we decided this is a bonus and one that we will try for only if we get time as the plan is to spend a lot of time with U995 as it is the sole purpose of our trip.

Our trip to Laboe will consist of keeping each other awake (yes it is worrying the driver falling asleep at 90+ on an autobahn) trying not to kill ourselves, and to also control the excitement level.

It is a good distance away from Hamburg and we set our goals as we always do what we want to achieve both as a team and as a person, my focus is mainly on the submarine itself, and as you can see in the pictures we waste absolutely no time.

You enter U995 at the stern being the only type VII left intact in the world you can see she is defiantly well cared for and well maintained, she is indeed a unique piece of history and also a monument to all submariners who died.

I had envisioned the U995 to be like SH5 a well-oiled large submarine which is what SH5 is based on and U995 formed the model of this game.
in fact she is a lot like that but there is something greatly different and it does hit you the moment you step inside it is truly that jaw dropping realisation that men worked lived and died inside these things and all for what? One man’s idea.
One thing that struck me was I couldn’t imagine the 30,000+ men that went down with their boats and you could never imagine the horror or suffering many of them may have endured in their final hours or minuets, you really do realise you are trapped and there is no escape.

After surveying the surroundings we crack on with our task in hand and yes we went crazy with the cameras, but we did have one thing that we always try and do if possible and that is to try and get in the torpedo tube, which on the type VII isn’t as easy as it looks trust me, the picture is of the stern tube which is raised up off the ground getting in is easy getting out another matter.

Moving on we enter the electric motor room which like the stern is full of switch boards and panels although there isn’t much to see here you do feel while you’re playing with the knobs levers and switches that someone has had to do this in sequence and failing to do it right could be the death of the entire crew it truly is something of a marvel when you think this is 40’s technology.

The diesel engine supplies the power to the submarine while surfaced it also charges the batteries two MAN 1700KW 2750shp engines give the submarine a top speed of 17knots on the surface, these engines are fairly large sat side by side now silent it’s unlikely we will ever hear them start up again, the silence here is deafening.

Next comes the galley and no hack isn’t making the stew this galley is tiny in fact I have a better cooking facility at work! There isn’t much to see apart from the oven and also the pantry which I must add were empty (when I see hack he won’t have to worry about the boson )

Moving on into the stern crew mess it is tiny again there isn’t a lot of space and no real room to live this really would stink, let alone be crowded, I am at home on submarines I generally live in a confined space at work anyway but sleeping on a bunk that’s just inches away from the sea and that sea wants to come in must have been a daunting thought.

Ahead is the control room where the submarine is controlled unfortunately we have no access to the tower but you get an idea that put 5 or 6 people in here and it becomes rather crowded and also rather warm, although we were lucky as we were the only two on board, taking our time surveying we defiantly took in the surroundings the feel of command must be immense not only are you the most power fullest person on the ship but the responsibility must be huge your crew are looking at you to get them home all the time.

Forward into the radio room sonar room and captains bunk I can tell you it’s not that comfortable and with the lack of privacy being an issue you certainly feel part of the boat.
I took a rest here and though about a few things all of my grandparents lived through WWII and I am fortunate enough to have one still alive and yes the old battle axe is still going strong at 93 she doesn’t like giving up she also doesn’t like U-boats well I can’t have everything can I.

Moving forward we get the sense that this is the business end the torpedo room today its quite roomy but with many torpedoes on-board you quickly see this is going to be one cramped area, we settle down for a break sat right under a slung torpedo maybe not the brightest of moves if it fell but like our forebears they would have slept on or under them so I’m sure we can suffer 5 minutes.

Collecting out thoughts along the way we spent a while assessing the torpedo room 4 tubes now lay silent 3 empty and 1 loaded as if ready to return to sea and sink another ship, I think we can safely say the days have now past the guns are thankfully silent and this weapon has rightfully been turned into a silent yet poignant monument to all who served under the sea.

Sides Don’t matter

Alongside U995 is the memorial the 60 storey tower juts out like a periscope through the landscape surrounded by memories of past and hopes for the future, we approach the monument with respect and interest many items are from fallen ships and battles the place is a permanent shrine to those who have fallen and beneath our very feet is a place neither of us knew about.

Splitting up I enter the tower and immediately it hits you this place is dedicated to all who served under the sea no matter who’s country you’re from, friend or foe.
The courtyard hides a distinct feature one that will later serve to confirm our realisation of the mutual respect of submariners regardless of nationality.
Travelling to the top it is possible to view down and out to sea, also back on land two roof terraces on two floors provide a 360 view of the area, not only that but I would recommend have a good head for heights and if its winter take a jacket it gets wet and cold up there.

On the way down I decided to walk and yes I did suffer my decision later on I pass by two floors of memorial items flags and ensigns plus some ships bells, when I reached the ground floor all I thought I had left was to go into the tunnel, it was dark lined with wreathes with a faint glow in the distance, walking down the tunnel I notice each wreath is dedicated to a vessel some very famous such as the Bismarck and Admiral Graf Spee, then it really hits you the single candle flickering in the middle of the underground room.

It is very eerie to stand and read the placards knowing that this is probably the only place the now distant relatives can come to mourn their lost, the other side of the tunnel and room is the entrance to the second part of the memorial it houses models and a large stain glass window of ships and submarines of the German navy.

Upon exiting this site I hear a bell tolling and many people gathering around at the base of the tower not wishing to intrude I keep a distance it was only later when my friend Jo informed me that it was a memorial service to a fallen crew.

U995 was the pinnacle of our trip a submarine that was always going to be number 1 on the list now it was mission completed, but we still had some time to kill, and still a bonus submarine to go and hunt down.

The Final Hunt

Our time in Germany was coming to an end and after completing our entire mission in just 2 days and 7hours we had a little time to spare, that’s when it was decided we would try for Fremarnham, a submarine called U11.
The drive was not too long and went uneventfully, passing through the old towns that really do look like they haven’t been touched for generations and it’s also clear the sat nav is having a night mare too we are now sat in the middle of the Baltic sea, thankfully we are close and the submarine is in sight now to park and take pictures.
Like her sister she is a type 205 however it does show that she isn’t as well visited, she is situated right out the way in a small town on the very tip of a Baltic coast line.

Weather beaten and home to dozens of pigeons you can see the museum is a little short of money, however don’t let that put you off the displays are small but they are well kept and well displayed, what’s more the interior of U11 is almost fully intact.

The entrance fee is modest but the museum could do with a few more visitors just be careful for the moaning caretaker as we found out the hard way, he doesn’t like pictures being taken from the side where the sea is at in case we fall in!, thankfully Jo is a very good speaker of German and was able to inform me that he was indeed having a go at me but hey I learnt a new word Verboten (Forbidden).

Like her sister U11 is small she is also designed to operate in the Baltic and north sea where water depths are fairly shallow, you do get the feeling that the submarine is indeed something of a work of art and after seeing so many during our trip it is indeed the final confirmation that what we tried to achieve was indeed worthwhile.

Some of you may have noticed the different stern plane configuration no one would answer the question as to why so I put it to you hopefully your all still awake and are able to suggest the answer maybe?

Mission accomplished reporting for debrief

So the gauntlet has been laid down mission completed 2 days 17 hours 37 minutes travelling a total of 947km visiting 5 submarines 3 ships and 2 large museums, I can tell you the work was exhausting yet fruitful.
During the trip we learnt a lot about ourselves and about the submarines and ship involved we even sampled the local cuisine and finally got a well-deserved good night’s sleep thanks to the drunks returning home.
The thoughts we had and the people we met along the way showed us that there was something good that came out of the end of 1945 and even with a 40-year division that the German people are once more unified in their belief of hard work and sticking by the rules, their precise ways didn’t feel a hindrance and justifiably they became a help.

I hope you enjoy the pictures we took enough to keep you going and I hope some of you will take the time to take a trip to some of these museums and share your experiences too.

U995 and Memorial by U11 type 205 by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/131313936@N03/]

U11 Sitting quietly on her plinth

Wilhelm Bauer Type XXI U-Boat by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/131313936@N03/]

The type XXI a submarine that would eventually come to shape submarine designers for two generations.

German Destroyer Molders by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/131313936@N03/]

Weilheim by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/131313936@N03/]

The U-10 The minesweeper Wilhelmine and Destroyer Molders showing how serious a threat the Warsaw pact and the soviet union was serving nearly 3 decades with the West German then the Federal German navy

B-515 (U434) Tango Class by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/131313936@N03/]

Rezinka or Rubber to her crews and probably one of the better looking Soviet built submarines, U434 or her real name B515 highlights what the western navies were up against during the cold war.

DSCN0772 by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/131313936@N03/]

Cap San Diego A freighter that is still alive and well she is preserved as a running and working museum, her home is in Hamburg and she puts to sea twice per year tickets are available to go on a cruise.

M.V Cap San Diego by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/131313936@N03/]

And lets not forget this little Fellow he followed us around every where.

Find out about Museum Ships here: https://www.museumships.us/

Flickr for all my pictures: https://www.flickr.com/photos/131313936@N03/

Navy general board articles: https://www.navygeneralboard.com/author/aegis/
Kapitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-16, 06:10 PM   #2
Commander Wallace
Navy Seal

Downloads: 360
Uploads: 0

This is a great thread. I would really like to get out to see U-995 and U-534 in Birkenhead, Liverpool not to mention U-2540. Jim had said U-534 was well worth seeing even though it had been dismantled.

Thanks for taking the time out to upload the pictures.
Commander Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-16, 08:19 PM   #3
fireftr18
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 77

Old 04-09-16, 03:58 AM   #4
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Cool thread, interesting journey

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-16, 08:19 AM   #5
Schroeder
Navy Seal

Downloads: 62

Nice pictures and text.

But boy did you butcher the name of the island where U 11 is located.
It's Fehmarn and the town is Burgstaaken.

There is also a little machine there that can convert 5c coins into this:

Last edited by Schroeder; 04-09-16 at 08:50 AM.
Schroeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-16, 03:19 PM   #6
Kapitan
Sub Test Pilot

Yes sorry i did realise after i typed it all i had something else on the brain like where i was going the next day lol.

Old 04-09-16, 03:22 PM   #7
Schroeder
Navy Seal

Downloads: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapitan View Post
Yes sorry i did realise after i typed it all i had something else on the brain like where i was going the next day lol.
Well, at least you have a brain so you already have an advantage over me....

Last edited by Schroeder; 04-09-16 at 03:48 PM.
Schroeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-16, 03:23 PM   #8
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

Icon14

Hey don't worry, this was a very nice report, with excellent photos. Thanks!

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-16, 03:24 PM   #9
Kapitan
Sub Test Pilot

well i can say is there is over 300 pictures up for people to view on flickr click the link in my signature and you get access to past and present pictures.

Old 04-09-16, 03:35 PM   #10
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

Icon14

Thanks, just clicked and ..

the painted tank (?) in the U 11 txpe 205

If we only could have a Subsim meeting in Europe again, i wonder if i will ever make it to Hawaii. But i'd try

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-16, 04:28 AM   #11
Kapitan
Sub Test Pilot

Which one painted tank? i cant find it lol

Old 04-10-16, 07:32 AM   #12
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
Thanks, just clicked and ..

the painted tank (?) in the U 11 txpe 205

If we only could have a Subsim meeting in Europe again, i wonder if i will ever make it to Hawaii. But i'd try
There are possibilities for a European SubSim Meet in the not too distant future but I'll leave that for others to speculate on.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-16, 01:43 PM   #13
Kapitan
Sub Test Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
There are possibilities for a European SubSim Meet in the not too distant future but I'll leave that for others to speculate on.
It would be interesting to see a meet happen again i couldnt get to texas many years ago and as you can probably tell i love to travel so if i can make it i will be there depends on work funds and plans as theres other things in the pipeline

Old 04-16-16, 11:36 AM   #14
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Great thread, thanks for sharing

Posted in SUBSIM news
Old 04-18-16, 05:21 AM   #15