SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-16-05, 01:22 PM   #16
Manuel Ortega
Sailor man

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

What we want is the SDK now :hmm:
Manuel Ortega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-05, 02:43 PM   #17
CCIP
Navy Seal

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 2

Well, I'm suspecting it to be something with the equipement files.

Here's a useful post I found in the thread about the XXI:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdr Gibs
I have been using the Type XXI since the day I bought SHIII, yes it HAD problems but now NO problems at all. How u ask, easy just FIX these lines in ur Basic.cfg file to whats below and ur gtg.

Year 1943
SuperCharger_00=1260
Snorkel_00=1262
Batteries_00=1269
AftBatteries_00=1269
Hydrophone_00=1272
Sonar_00=1274
Radar_00=1278
RadarWarningReceiver_00=1283
Decoy_Launcher_00=1288
SonarCoatings_00=1304
RadarCoatings_00=1305

Year 1944
SuperCharger_10=1260
Snorkel_10=1262
Batteries_10=1269
AftBatteries_10=1269
Hydrophone_10=1272
Sonar_10=1274
Radar_10=1278
RadarWarningReceiver_10=1283
Decoy_Launcher_10=1288
SonarCoatings_10=1304
RadarCoatings_10=1305

Year 1945
SuperCharger_20=1260
Snorkel_20=1262
Batteries_20=1269
AftBatteries_20=1269
Hydrophone_20=1272
Sonar_20=1274
Radar_20=1278
RadarWarningReceiver_20=1283
Decoy_Launcher_20=1288
SonarCoatings_20=1304
RadarCoatings_20=1305

These "bugs" on the type XXI are so simply fixed and I had done so, so long ago, that I'm some what surprised that ppl are still unable to figure it out.
I'd have a look into this, Beery (if you have any concern about the XXI at all) - and same for the IXD perhaps...

As far as battery recharge times, I'm not totally sure about this... but for torpedo reloads I'm pretty sure I could reduce them overall - but I'm entirely convinced on whether it would really work as it's supposed to. So far as I'm aware, the XXI's auto-reload system worked in a way that it had one reload done within a couple of minutes for all six tubes simultaneously, and then after that the reloading/preparing the 2nd load would be manual again... but like I said, if someone gives me a good reason and a good possible reload time, I can probably adjust this

Personally, I haven't touched the XXI in the game and don't really plan to. And I'm not too sure about the IXD, but I suppose we may as well try and see if their issues can be fixed.

There are only forty people in the world and five of them are hamburgers.
-Don Van Vliet
(aka Captain Beefheart)
CCIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-05, 05:16 PM   #18
Capn Tucker
Bosun

The other problem with the IXD I've read about is it starting with the stern stuck inside the concrete of the sub pen. Was this fixed in a patch, or someone's mod? I haven't made it as far as having one of these boats yet (all the patches and new mods have me constantly reinstalling), but hope to get one soon, and would like to know if the "Philadelphia Experiment" bug, the destroyed sonar and flickering control room lights are/can be fixed...
Capn Tucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-05, 05:35 PM   #19
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Tucker
The other problem with the IXD I've read about is it starting with the stern stuck inside the concrete of the sub pen. Was this fixed in a patch, or someone's mod? I haven't made it as far as having one of these boats yet (all the patches and new mods have me constantly reinstalling), but hope to get one soon, and would like to know if the "Philadelphia Experiment" bug, the destroyed sonar and flickering control room lights are/can be fixed...
The IXC has the flickering lights problem as well. Irritating.

Flanked by life and the funeral pyre. Putting on a show for you to see.
August is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-05, 09:26 PM   #20
Beery
Admiral

Location: Silver Spring, MD, USA (but still a Yorkshireman at heart - tha can allus tell a Yorkshireman...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCIP
I'd have a look into this, Beery (if you have any concern about the XXI at all) - and same for the IXD perhaps...
I'll certainly check into it, and enable it in RUb. Maybe even issue a standalone mod for it.

Quote:
Personally, I haven't touched the XXI in the game and don't really plan to. And I'm not too sure about the IXD, but I suppose we may as well try and see if their issues can be fixed.
It's beginning to seem as if these issues are mostly fairly simple bugs to fix. Just a matter of focus. When I get some time, probably after the weekend, I'll see how many of these issues I can fix quickly, and if some can't be fixed I'll present the remaining issues to the mod community and put a challenge out there to fix them. There are plenty of mod makers who are more talented than me, so I'm sure the issues can be solved.

As for my own concern regarding these issues, the XXI hardly concerns me at all, but I may as well fix these things since they are of concern to a number of folks. The IXD2 is a larger concern for me, since the IXD2 did actually serve in combat, so I'd like to get it fixed.

"Anyrooad up, ah'll si thi"
- Missen.
Beery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-05, 09:28 PM   #21
Beery
Admiral

Location: Silver Spring, MD, USA (but still a Yorkshireman at heart - tha can allus tell a Yorkshireman...)

Quote:
The other problem with the IXD I've read about is it starting with the stern stuck inside the concrete of the sub pen. Was this fixed in a patch, or someone's mod?...
I think this was fixed in RUb a while ago, and I believe it was fixed in an official patch too, but I may be mistaken on that. If the problem is still around, there is definitely a very easy fix for it.

- Missen.
Old 07-17-05, 01:41 AM   #22
Capn Tucker
Bosun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beery
Quote:
The other problem with the IXD I've read about is it starting with the stern stuck inside the concrete of the sub pen. Was this fixed in a patch, or someone's mod?...
I think this was fixed in RUb a while ago, and I believe it was fixed in an official patch too, but I may be mistaken on that. If the problem is still around, there is definitely a very easy fix for it.
Beery, when I get my IXD2, and if it is stuck, I'll be in touch for that fix..
Capn Tucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-05, 06:58 AM   #23
rulle34
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beery
Quote:
Wasn't that fixed already in patch 1.3? :hmm:
/Rulle
rulle34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-05, 08:52 AM   #24
Syxx_Killer
Admiral

Downloads: 21

All this talk of fixing the IXD2 and XXI is very promising! I sure hope you talented modders can fix these problems. I was able to change the range (23,700 miles) for the IXD2 with timetraveller's crush depth tool. I also changed the crush depths for all the subs to their historical levels. The XXI can go 340 miles at 5 knots. I'm not sure how long they had oxygen on the boat. Can that be modded to historical levels if someone knows the stats? When the battery gets low it will charge itself up in a decent amount of time - up to a point. I'm guessing about 90% charged, the battery starts to slow down when charging, and seemingly never charges. It takes forever. I'm not sure how that is bugged (maybe hard-coded?). That is my main gripe with the XXI. I guess, from what I have heard, the Nibelung is the bugged sonar. I don't have that right now, so I'm not getting the sonar destroyed messages. I am using a IXD2 right now, and got the sonar destroyed message for the first time. It has the SGerat device. Is it normal for the sonar destoyed message to be sporadic? I haven't tried it in game yet, but I heard that using Wolfie's Tweak Pack you can fix the IXD2 inventory screen. You can change the external reserves from 8 to 6 and add to internal slots. I've done that, but like I said, I haven't tried it in game yet. Where in the basic.cfg is that value edited (in the readme the Tweak Pack states it changes the basic.cfg)?

I sure wish I knew what I was doing with this modding stuff. I'd love to try and take a stab at the XXI and IXD2 fixes.
Syxx_Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-05, 10:36 AM   #25
Beery
Admiral

I've used Cdr Gibs's fix in the upcoming version of RUb. Now to look at the IXD2.

- Missen.
Old 07-19-05, 04:57 PM   #26
User 1834
Watch

Downloads: 14

Beery, his fix simply gives the XXI infinite battery power. Which is hardly realistic. The current version is more realistic then being able to travel at flank speed on your batteries indefinitely. We need to try to find a better, more realistic, fix.
Old 07-19-05, 05:06 PM   #27
Beery
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by User 1834
Beery, his fix simply gives the XXI infinite battery power. Which is hardly realistic. The current version is more realistic then being able to travel at flank speed on your batteries indefinitely. We need to try to find a better, more realistic, fix.
Ah, hehe. Okay. I'll figure something out. It must be the supercharger that does it.

- Missen.
Old 07-19-05, 05:08 PM   #28
gonzman
Mate

I'd like to thank all of the mod makers for producing what i consider the items that keep SH3 on my hard disk drive.

You do a brilliant job at keeping alive a sometimes unplayable game.

Cheers.
gonzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-05, 07:10 PM   #29
Beery
Admiral

Testing the XXI. Results:

It takes the battery about 16 hours to expire at 1/3 speed.
Takes about 13 hours to charge the battery to about 90%.
The battery only ever gets to 98% after about 20 hours charge.

I don't have any real world figures for battery charge, so if anyone has info that can verify the above results, that would be great. I must say one thing, and that is that in the real world batteries don't charge up to 100%, so if anything the Type XXI is the only boat to model that aspect correctly. In other words it's not a bug in the Type XXI - it's a feature. The other boats are the ones with the bug, since their batteries all recharge to 100%.

At 10kts the battery takes you about 250km
At 7kts the battery takes you around 470km.

It's kinda weird that 3knots can make so much difference in the 'reichsweite' (whatever that is in English (distance? Endurance?). Anyway, these figures seem generally about right compared to the figures at Uboat.net.

In short, it seems to me that the XXI battery issue is not an issue. It works, it works about right, and in fact in some ways it works more realistically than the batteries of the other boats.

- Missen.
Old 07-19-05, 07:41 PM   #30
Syxx_Killer
Admiral

Downloads: 21

This is taken from u-boat.net:

Quote:
It took the boat 3-5 hours to re-charge the batteries with the Schnorchel once every 2-3 days if travelling at moderate 4-8 knots and was thus much less in danger from aircraft which sank about 56% of all U-boats lost in the war.
The rest can be read here:

http://www.uboat.net/types/xxi.htm

The battery is still bugged. :rotfl:

Speaking of schnorchel, the boat, I think, is in more danger from aircraft rather than less. I still think something needs to be worked out with that. I could live with the battery issue if this wasn't such an issue.
Syxx_Killer is offline   Reply With Quote