SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-23-09, 10:30 AM   #136
Lopo
Lieutenant

Downloads: 477
Uploads: 0

Thank you, I'll try and will tell you the result.
Take care

Lopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-09, 12:55 PM   #137
Lopo
Lieutenant

Default @Karamazovnew

Well, there are the results from some tests:

GWX3 + ACM = same problem
GWX3 + ACM with your Cameras modified = same problem

I have downloaded OLC MKII and ACM again to reinstall their original Cameras files and nothing... always the same problem.
I tried to merge OLC MKII and ACM and the problem has been fixed but I lost the new horizon!

I need to look closer on it... have you an idea?

Take care

Old 07-23-09, 01:20 PM   #138
karamazovnew
The Old Man

Downloads: 151

Ive tried to test it without OLC's, but I still can't replicate the problem. I've tried it with and without the res fix mod. I can't find those lines anywhere in the menu.ini file. ANd the only place I know where they can be moved is the viewport area in the camera.dat file. But, since that didn't work either for you, I'm stumped.

To be perfectly honest, my ACM folder is a bit... modded, after so many months of playing with it. Since ACM contains the old OLC, I guess a spring cleaning in the files is in order to make them fully compatible. I'll get on it. But I still want to get an answer to these questions. Did you have this issue before with ACM, without my mod? Did anyone else have this problem (with or without the filters)?
karamazovnew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-09, 01:46 PM   #139
Lopo
Lieutenant

Default ...

Sorry, I was mistaken

GWX3 + ACM = no problem
I've played with these installation before the release of OLC MKII

But :

GWX3 + OLC + ACM with original Cameras file = same problem
GWX3 + OLC " ACM with your Cameras modified = same problem

Hope this help you... and me.

Take care

Old 07-23-09, 02:42 PM   #140
karamazovnew
The Old Man

Not really... what I want to know is:

GWX3 + ACM + MyFilter = no problem? (forget about the camera.dat file)
Old 07-23-09, 02:56 PM   #141
Lopo
Lieutenant

There is no problem with GWX3 + ACM + MyFilter.
The problem appears when I install ACM+MyFilter (with or without ACM filter) after OLC MKII... but I like too much the new horizon from OLC. When I tried to merge OLC MKII and ACM I lost the new horizon and I have no idea where I can fix these lines in the scopes.

Take care

Old 07-23-09, 04:05 PM   #142
Lopo
Lieutenant

Default HURRA!

Thank you a lot Karamasovnew, you showed me the right place in cameras.dat files to fix my problem (viewport area). So I copied the values in the viewport area from Cameras.dat in ACM to Cameras.dat in OLC MKII... and all works fine! Here the new file if you or someone else are interested:

http://www.filefront.com/14107825/CamerasOLC+ACM.dat

Now merge OLC MKII and ACM+MyFilter is not a problem in order to have a CombiMod between these three great mods! Of course, I forget to tell you I have the fantastic OLC's horizon... Life is good

Take care and thank you again for your support...

Take care

Last edited by Lopo; 07-24-09 at 02:22 AM.
Old 07-23-09, 04:28 PM   #143
karamazovnew
The Old Man

Great, I'm glad you solved it . I wasn't sure if you knew how to edit the Camera.dat file, or I'd have just wrote you the viewport values instead of sending the file. Btw, apart from the viewport area, make sure you include the other numbers, like zoom levels. Or you might be stuck at zoom 6x as in OLC's mod. One thing I still can't figure out is this... If you had enabled ACM AFTER OLC's, as I specificaly wrote, then the camera.dat would've been overwritten, so you shouldn't have had any problem from the start...
Old 07-23-09, 06:26 PM   #144
Lopo
Lieutenant

Default ...

Sure I enable the mods as you wrote but what are the reasons of that bug? I really don't know. Cameras.dat file from OLC MKII was overwritten as planned but it wasn't enough to get the two mods compatible. With my Cameras file I have now a combi mod between ACM and OLC MKII working fine... and with your ACM Filter it's great! You give us a new gaming experience!

Old 07-23-09, 07:16 PM   #145
karamazovnew
The Old Man

You make me blush. Well, new version coming tomorrow. New features:
-(ignore) 2 buttons on the periscope screens to switch between Day/Night marks colors and to enable/disable the filter (or make a new one visible on top of another).
- Updated AOB tool. No more double mast thing what you see is what you input, what you get is what it is.

PS: nevermind on those buttons. I forgot that OLC already used the Accept button to hide the AOB tool And I had already placed the items and redone the tga

Last edited by karamazovnew; 07-23-09 at 09:57 PM.
Old 07-24-09, 02:42 PM   #146
PL_Cmd_Jacek
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 207

Great filters. I will test it as soon as I get back from vacation. Wating for the next modification with the buttons.
PL_Cmd_Jacek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-09, 03:45 PM   #147
karamazovnew
The Old Man

As I said, I had to abandon the idea of toggle buttons. The new version is ready and consists of a remake of the AOB tool (and replacement of the periscope marks ).The AOB tool now works as intended with very good precision. Give me a sec to gather up the files. This should be the final version, i promise .
Old 07-24-09, 04:04 PM   #148
karamazovnew
The Old Man

New Version ready

[B]DOWNLOAD LINK (26 july 2009): http://www.filefront.com/14123649/ACM%20Reloaded.zip
(Zip file, 3.88 MB)

Note: If you have my previous version, disable and delete it, you won't need it anymore. In case you're new to the ACM mod, you might wonder why I spent time on a SH3 mod. Well, Mikhayl's interface is the best. The layout is perfect and I'd love to see it in SH4 too. I've used it for months and the only changes I could make are minor "artistic" things.

This mod includes all of the files and changes stated below. This mod doesn't include ACM's original so download that first. In case you're wondering, enable ths mode after ACM. ACM can also be loaded after OLC's latest mod (not 100% recommended). I have the "OLC 'Gold' MkII ~ Option 4 ~ Environment with EDE and GUI with LRT" and it works perfectly in those parts that ACM didn't touch. However, after reading and analyzing OLC's mod, I'm amazed that the game doesn't crash. If you encounter problems when combining with OLC's, check Lopo's issue and link a few posts above.

Features at a glance:
- new backgrounds for AP, OP, UZO, TDC
- cleaner map with improved Line Bearing Tool
- new scope marks and filters with easy to change colors and transparency
- new recalibrated AOB tool that doesn't require doubling the mast.
- center cross and discrete bearing readout on the binocular view.

If you make any changes to the mod, remember to disable/reenable it in JSGME. Please note that changing colors for marks or filters in one file might lead to changes made in other files for color consistency. I used the same color for the AP marks, UZO marks and Binocular Marks. Read further to understand the use of each file.

Attack Periscope (AP):

Files:
- Data\Menu\Gui\Periscope.tga: this is more or less the background of the Attack Periscope view. I've removed all the marks from the "lens" and changed the texture on the panels. It's the same as on the UZO, but even darker. The ship's name, after you identify it, appears over the SIEMENS part (i don't use it any more and didn't know where to place it because of lack of space. And I like that Siemens text ).
- Data\Menu\Lenses\per_marks.tga: these are the attack periscope Marks. To change the color, open in GIMP or photoshop and paintbucket fill with any new color. What you see is what you get, since the layout of the marks is taken from the opaque alpha channel. Don't mess with the alpha map unless you know what you're doing. The marks are 1 pixel in width.
- Data\Menu\Lenses\per_filter.tga: this is the filter on the Attack Periscope. It's a red tint, for good horizon contrast. To change the color and brightness, open in GIMP or Photoshop. The color is given by the RGB (color) layer. Paintbucket fill with any color you want (I strongly recommend using pure bright colors). To change the visibility of the filter, paintbucketf ill the Alpha channel with any shade of gray. The lighter the shade, the more opaque the filter will be, translating in more brightness, stroger color, but less contrast. So for example, if you make the color a dark red and you increase the opacity, you'll get preety much the same view as in the default, but with less contrast. The best contrast is achieved for completely transparent (invisible) filters. The color information however remains the same, you don't get new light information, but you also don't lose any. I hope that makes sense for you. In short, change the color (bright green, blue, yellow, pink, whatever) and only change opacity if it looks bad.
- Data\Menu\OLC\AOFBInnerDIsc.tga: completely changed, check tutorial below.
- Data\Menu\OLC\AOBFOuterDisc.tga: The Ujagd Tools precision marks are back. Of course you have to click the AOB tool to see them first. They have the same color as the Periscope Marks. To remove them, edit the alpha channel and fill the marks with black. The outer dials now have nice transparent plastic marks. If you ever need to mod this file, you'll curse me for not saving the .psd file with the layers.

Observation Periscope:

Files:
- Data\Menu\OLC\ObsScope.tga: the background, same comment as for the AP.
- Data\Menu\Lenses\obs_marks.tga: the marks on the lens, same comment as for the OP. The marks are 2 pixels thick, since the view is twice the size of the AP view. They're black, since they're perfectly visible on top of the bright filter, even at night.
- Data\Menu\Lenses\obs_filter.tga: the filter, with the same comment as for the AP filter. Default color is bright Yellow. The filter is not much opaque than the AP one, but since the color is "whiter" it's appears to have more brightness overall. I use a very dark monitor so I might've made it a bit too bright for others.

UZO:

Files:
- Data\Menu\OLC\UZO.tga: the background for the UZO view. I've mirrored the changes in the AP background. It's a bit brighter since you're outside . I've added marks similar to the ones found in the latest OLC mod. They're included in the background files, since the UZO doesn't require filters. You'll see a dark green box in the middle of the view. Change it to any color you want. The actual marks are edited in the aplha channel. To remove the marks, just fill those marks with a black pencil.

Attack Map:

Files:
- Data\Menu\Gui\StrTactMap.tga: this is the overlay on the attack map. I've removed the coffee stains and paper fold marks, since the view was way too cluttered. I've kept the yellowish paper texture tho.
- Data\Menu\MouseCurs\Line.tga and Line Ext.tga: As seen in the pic, the line helper tool now has extra marks on the inside. The lines represent 45 degree intervals (N,NE,E,SE,S, etc.). While the small dots represent 22.5 degree intervals (NNE,ENE,ESE, etc.). The very very small 10 degree intervals on the inside are missaligned but ignore them .

TDC View (Attack Map):

Files:
- Data\Menu\Gui\TDC\TDCCover.tga: just a simple background, with the new metal texture. The screenshot doesn't do it justice. I think it looks amazing with the new shadows.

Binoculars:

Files:
- Data\Menu\OLC\Binoculars.tga: I've just added a small green cross in the middle for easy airplane flak targeting. Don't worry, it won't change color when you mouse-over a target. As in the UZO file, change the color of the green circle in the middle to change the color, and if you want, go to the Alpha Map to change the layout of the cross.
- Data\Menu\OLC\BinBearing.tga: these are the bearings that you see under the cross. They're at 10 degree intervals and they're preety narrow. Open that file to change the color or even delete marks in the Alpha channel. My first version was with 30 degree intervals only. But it was a bit troublesome. To make them dissapear completely, fill the alpha channel with black. Or, if you really want to know how I made them appear again, go to the menu_1024_768.ini file and search for "BinBearing.tga". You'll see this:
[G27 I7]
Name=Compass
Type=1030;Static bmp
ItemID=0x27000002
ParentID=0x27000000
Pos=483,360,60,16;423,1774,180,16 OLC moved off screen
Color=0xFFFFFFAA;0xDFDFDFAA;0x969696FE
Materials=1
Display=0;No stretch
Mat 0=data/menu/OLC/binbearing.tga

Edit the "Pos" line to change the location. The original values of OLC are after the ";" character.

Other changes in the Menu.ini file:
I've changed this part:
[G33 I5]
Name=Type val
Type=1029;Static text
ItemID=0x33010012
ParentID=0x33010000
;Pos=117,-136,115,16
;Color=0x111111FF
;Font=5
;Text=0
;TextFlags=0x6
, by commenting out the last 5 lines to make the "Merchant/Warship" text from the Hydrophone menu go away. Now you won't be able to know from 10km away in pitch black if that tugboat is armed or not . Remove the ";" characters to have that line back.

Other changes:
- Data\Menu\Gui\Layout\RecFreighters.tga (THIS ONE IS IMPORTANT): Since I'm using makman94's TMT mod (found here: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=153937), I had to adjust some of the values of the mini recognition manual. The Granville Freighter now has 18 meter mast and 92 length, the Medium Cargo has 21 meters mast, and the Ore Carriet a 23 meter mast. In case you don't use that mod, delete my file from the mod, before enabling it. However, please note that the Granville really is 92 meters in length, and not 78, even without the mod.
-Data\Menu\en_menu.txt: Removed the "Mast(X2):" reference. It's now just "Mast:".

Last edited by karamazovnew; 07-25-09 at 09:19 PM. Reason: File Update
Old 07-24-09, 04:41 PM   #149
karamazovnew
The Old Man

Default How to Use

The following ship is at a range of 850 yards and has 55 degree AOB (tested it with autotargeting). This is how to find those values when using my AOB tool. Don't laugh if you already know how to use an AOB wheel, some still need a refreshment . All of the steps are made for a 6X zoom on the periscope.

As you can see, the ship spans across 9 marks vertical and around 26 marks horizontal.

a) RANGE:
When you click on the AOB tool, you'll also see more precise markings. From them I can tell that the ship is about 9.3 marks vertical.

1) Line up the number of marks on the Inner dial with the black line at the top of the screen. In our case, it's around 9.3.
2) Check the Manual to see the mast (don't worry, I removed the X2 text). In our case, about 23 meters.
3) You can now see the range on the middle dial, right next to the mast value on the outer dial. In our case 23 is next to 850 meters (8.5*100).

b)AOB:

Now that you know the range, do this:

1. Line up the range on the middle dial with the Lenght of the ship on the outer dial. In our case, we line up 850m (8.5) with 78.
2. Check how many horizontal marks takes to cover the ship. If you use the precise markings (only visible when the AOB wheel is visible), lock on the target and see where the tip of the bow intersects the marks. In our case 26.
NOTE: Don't add up the values on both sides, as we did in the first picture. That was for the normal 10|10 horizzontal markings on the scope. The precise markings already have a double horizontal scale.
3. You can now see the AOB on the inner dial, right next to the number of marks on the middle dial. In our case 26 is next to 56 degrees.

c)SPEED:
Make sure the scope isn't locked on the target. Put the center of your periscope just in front of the target. From now on don't move the periscope anymore. Also make sure that your speed is bellow 2 knots and that the ship presents a nice AOB (between 45 and 135 degrees).

As it's bow crosses the center line, start the clock.

As it's stern crosses the center line, stop the clock.

As you can see the ship traveled a distance equal to it's own length in around 24 seconds. Now you can move the periscope again. Open up the AOB tool:

1. Line up the time on the middle dial (think of it as seconds, 25=25 seconds, not 2500 meters) with the lenght of the ship on the outer dial. In our case, you line up 24 seconds with 79 meters.
2. Read the range shown by the red mark. In our case, the speed is around 6.2 knots.

Last edited by karamazovnew; 07-24-09 at 05:59 PM.
Old 07-25-09, 09:31 PM   #150
karamazovnew
The Old Man

Default File Update (very small bug).

I've fixed a small error in the Attack scope lines. Due to a bad conversion to JPG of my screenshot capture program, the lines above and to the left the center were missaligned by 1 pixel. This made no real impact on readings since you don't normally add up marks bellow and above the center line, but I've fixed it nonetheless (and updated the download link above, of course).

And remember, if you feel that any of the screens are too dark, or if you find an imba combination of mark/filter colors, let me know about it .

Last edited by karamazovnew; 07-25-09 at 09:55 PM.