SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-15-24, 03:03 AM   #1
Tabris
Gunner

Downloads: 171
Uploads: 0
Default Wind speed effects RPMs while recharging??

Hi all, I've got a doozy this time.

Wind speeds are effecting my recharge rates. I've never once noticed this, and I can't find a single post discussing it. Am I crazy? Has this always been a thing?

I noticed it while messing with the Type XXI in Fifi's newest update to NYGM. Thinking it was related to either my incessant tweaks to the XXI, or to h.sie's snorkeling realism settings, I went and tested it in a Type VII, and sure enough, it's a thing there too. At 15 m/s wind speed, the starboard RPMs (the motor doing the recharging) are about 60% that of what they are when the wind is at 8 m/s or lower.

Surface attack project v1.19 is installed. Aside from that and my changes to the XXI's data files, this is happening on what's otherwise a brand new install of NYGM 5.8

Like I said, I feel like I'm taking crazy pills. Whether or not this can be fixed or changed, just knowing others have experienced this would make me feel much better.

- Tabris
Tabris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-24, 10:18 AM   #2
Fifi
Navy Seal

Downloads: 456

Yes bad weather is influencing recharge rate. All subs… and type II is very badly impacted
Personally, I like it.

Fifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-24, 01:19 PM   #3
derstosstrupp
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 489

That behavior has no basis in reality. The batteries were charged by virtue of the energized armatures spinning in a magnetic flux, creating an EMF (voltage) greater than that of the batteries. The armatures were turned by the diesels, and they could be turned at any speed, regardless of weather - two completely independent factors. Particularly if the main clutch on one side were disengaged as was common to do, thus the armatures of that motor being disconnected from the propellers, then that side’s diesel has no limitation on how fast it turns that side, only the diesel’s own governor.

One-Stop Targeting Shop:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...WwBt-1vjW28JbO
My YT Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIJ...9FXbD3S2kgwdPQ
derstosstrupp is online   Reply With Quote