Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Classic Subsims
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-01-10, 11:05 AM   #1
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Request for SH assistance

Yes, this is for SH2, and I will move this thread into the Classic Subsims forum.

A friend asked me for help, he is reinstalling SH2 on an office computer (windows XP, service pack 3) and finds it has garbled text, gauges, etc. He reinstalled, and did the patch 1.1, but same problem. Anyone out there have any ideas? Thanks!

Neal
Old 06-01-10, 11:51 AM   #2
Buddahaid
Shark above Space Chicken

Downloads: 160
Uploads: 0

That problem happened to me after I upgraded my graphics card to Nvidia and there is no solution other than buying the newer SH2/SH3 combo pack (I think).

EDIT: BTW the problem will also effect DC in the same way.

"Tomorrow belongs to those who can hear it coming."
David Bowie

Last edited by Buddahaid; 06-01-10 at 05:30 PM.
Buddahaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-10, 03:46 PM   #3
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Mine is in storage so I can't load it up and see if I have the same problem. I also have XP and SP3.
Old 06-02-10, 08:43 AM   #4
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 2

That's definately the old SH2/DC engine problem with NVidia cards. I heard that newer driver packs had solved it, but using the latest ones on my NVidia card it still appears
Old 06-02-10, 11:26 PM   #5
Buddahaid
Shark above Space Chicken

Downloads: 160

Well I just tried the "new" SH2 that comes in the SH2/SH3 combo pack and the corruption is still there. So Nvidia drivers or a newer card may work since SH2 works fine on my newer win 7 system with a newer Nvidia GTX 260 card.

"Tomorrow belongs to those who can hear it coming."
David Bowie
Buddahaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-10, 09:10 AM   #6
Gryffon300
Engineer

Downloads: 58
Default NVidia & SHII

Am just rloading a lot of older games on a new computer (Windows XP). Had no problems with SHII with motherboard graphics, but SHIII GWX 3.0 showed watch crew with no binoculars (very weird look) and other graphics slow issues.
So.. installed GeForce 210 and SHIII fixed, but text graphics on SHII gone to hell. Arghh!! Trying nvidia upgrade patches, but am feeling like its gonna be a rock and a hard place....
Gryffon300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-11, 01:18 PM   #7
aanker
Pacific Thunder

Downloads: 236
Uploads: 14

I now have a NVIDIA card (my first ever) and just fired up SH2 PA - but I run it through Projekt Messerwetzer which may be the difference? Even though I don't use it, installing Projekt Messerwetzer fixed everything for me.

..... my SHCE install also runs on this NVIDIA card. Maybe I'm just lucky?

Happy Hunting!

Art

PS: XP Pro SP3
Protect each one we ask of thee.
Bless those at home who wait and pray,
For their return by night and day."

aanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-11, 04:41 PM   #8
Gryffon300
Engineer

Yep, Aanker, I was thinking the same thing after having another look at SHII Patches last night after being made aware of High Def Patches for SHII. I used to run Project Mess back when I had it on a former computer, so I will give it another try fully patched - I'm expecting good things.

Thanks for the thoughts - I had dropped it way down the To-Do list as I hadn't got any replies, but the last couple of days have kicked me in the rear end sufficient to get me going again, so, thanks - more red eyes in front of a computer screen!
Old 01-24-11, 12:37 PM   #9
Gryffon300
Engineer

OK, Aanker's Aweigh.
So far:
- clean SHII install + Patch to 1.1 + Project Messerwetzer + SHII High Res Kit + Bergen Art Backgrounds (getting Desperate there) + Pacific Aces + PA PAtch 1.1. Even tried switching on 'Compatibility Mode" for first Win 98, then Win 95 in the Compatibility tab of the Properties window of the shortcut desktop icon. (I'm the most trying bastard around - just ask anyone who knows me - I should be a Beta tester or something!)

At each stage, tested and same corrupted/missing text (even on the Credits). That includes mission briefings and mission summaries. I've done some screenshots, but I don't think it's worth the bandwidth to post(?).

I note that the roll-over's still work, and the in-game starts fine (if you can guess at the right roll-over's & then hit main keyboard 'Enter' leaves you on "Pause" on the bridge, so I'm assuming game play is OK - haven't gone far enough to test for guage corruption yet - maybe one of the manny mod patches would help there??).

Not sure that it's worth persevering though. I think this sub's heading for crush depth. Any ideas on a save that haven't already been canvassed?

One final thought for you Cryptographers out there that understand these new-fangled enigmatic machines we are all wrestling with here: as the program seemed to work fine on this machine's native mother-board graphics, before I went and got the you-beaut new paper & typewriter ribbon, is there anyway (short of un-installing the graphics card) to de-select the new card and utilise the native graphix? Just a thought.
Old 01-24-11, 01:28 PM   #10
aanker
Pacific Thunder

You're really testing my memory but as I recall you do not need to install the Hi Res because running it through Projekt Messerwetzer lets it run Hi Res.....

This is the 3rd graphics card I am using - the first two were ATI. As I said, this one is NVIDIA and I haven't changed any of SH II PA's graphics settings since the first ATI card. I'm full screen and on an oddball screen setting larger than 1024x768.

This is what I did:

1. Clean Install of SH2, and rename the folder to 'Pacific Aces' or whatever name you prefer.
2. Install the official SH2 Patch 1.1
3. Install Vicker's mods if you want
4. Install Projekt Messerwetzer also helps to avoid some Janus errors
5. Install PA 1.0, pointing to your 'Pacific Aces' folder.
6. Install PA patch 1.1
7. Install new PA Sound 1.1
8. Install Glitche fix patch that includes optional dive bubble for Projekt Messerwetzer
9. Lethal radius mod (used 5 DepthChargeJP*.ADF files)
10. Active sonar hack ... edited the 10 SonarActive, SonaractiveUS, SonaractiveJapan, etc... files.

I didn't change any compatibility sub-menues, just running it straight through Windows XP Pro like you have (I think).

I really am happy it runs because I still enjoy doing a few patrols, just like I still enjoy SHCE to this day for variety even though I have SH4.

The PA team worked hard to make it and they did a great job.

Happy Hunting!

Art

Old 01-24-11, 04:49 PM   #11
Gryffon300
Engineer

Thanks, but I don't think it will help - though I will uninstall and re-install all one last time.

You see, I had no problem with the game in v1.00.06, or patched to v1.1 PRIOR to installing the new graphics card. I hadn't even got around to the Projekt or PA, which I'm sure would have been fine (at least from a stsatic graphics text point of view. The issue came about, and has persisted only AFTER installation of the GeFOrce nVidia card, which now seems to be a common complaint.

Indeed, you may just be lucky with your particular card - it sure seems that way! Short of a patch, or a genius work-around, I don't hold out much hope for using SHII in any variation on this machine - which is pretty uncool.
Old 01-24-11, 04:57 PM   #12
aanker
Pacific Thunder

Usually when luck is concerned I am un-lucky and never lucky - this is a first for me!

I'm sorry you didn't get it running - yes I've heard Silent Hunter - the older versions - don't like NVIDIA cards, you're right.

Art

Edit: In case you were unaware, you can have both SH II and PA ready to run on your computer and both set up seperately.

After SH II is installed patched, and renamed to Pacific Aces, insert the disk and select Uninstall SH II - the only thing uninstalled is the registry entry that says SH II is installed. You don't lose the renamed install.

Then reboot, insert the disk again, and select "Install Silent Hunter II" and you will have two installs.

I really hope you get it going. I've heard of people going as far as installing a 2nd cheap ATI graphics card just to run these old classics.

Last edited by aanker; 01-24-11 at 07:59 PM.