SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Modern-Era Subsims > Dangerous Waters > DW Mod Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-22-10, 12:43 PM   #1
Cy-Fox
SUBSIM Mod (CW+Discord)

Downloads: 110
Uploads: 0

Default Did I install RA and LWAMI correctly?

I just spun off two copies of my stock DW installation and applied the latest LWAMI and RA to each respective new copy. I noticed in LWAMI that the Seawolf's stations looked different compared to stock DW and RA. But in LWAMI and RA, when I go to Quick Mission, I notice no new platforms.

Cy-Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-10, 06:35 PM   #2
To be
Electrician's Mate

Downloads: 8

LWAMI and RA can not be installed on the same installation of DW.

LWAMI changes no platform interfaces, and should look the same as stock DW [NOTE- the kilo periscope may be changed in LWAMI, if you enable that option]. The best way to check if LWAMI is installed is to check if the mission editor entries for the Russian Akula or Kilo etc are named 'Project ###' instead of Akula or Kilo. Note that LWAMI 3.09 must be installed, then 3.10. After both are installed the mod must be enabled with JSGME before use.

For RA, look for the new playable platforms to check if it is installed.

Both RA and LWAMI require you start with DW 1.04 (patched) and bot require extra work to install on Windows 7 or vista if UAC is enabled, and if that is the case let me know and I'll include those instructions.

As a side note, it is possible to get RA to work with JSGME so you only need one installation, although it took me some time to do it.
To be is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-10, 07:48 PM   #3
Cy-Fox
SUBSIM Mod (CW+Discord)

RA is working, for some reason it wasn't earlier. But it works now.

Also 'to be', please note my opening statement:
Quote:
I just spun off two copies
RA for one, LWAMI on the other. I'll check the Mission Editor on the LWAMI copy now.

Edit: Weird, even though I'm starting it from the folder I tasked for LWAMI, it's acting as if RA's up. Same thing happens with my stock installation of Dangerous Waters.

Old 06-22-10, 08:10 PM   #4
NFunky
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cy-Fox View Post
I just spun off two copies of my stock DW installation and applied the latest LWAMI and RA to each respective new copy. I noticed in LWAMI that the Seawolf's stations looked different compared to stock DW and RA. But in LWAMI and RA, when I go to Quick Mission, I notice no new platforms.
------

Sounds like you did everything right. I have two folders on my hard drive, one called DW.lw and one called DW.ra, the installation path is DW, so all I have to do is delete the '.lw/.ra' of one folder name and I can play that version. And yeah, LWAMI is an improved realism mod and doesn't include new platforms. How exactly do the Seawolf stations look different in LWAMI? I haven't noticed any differences, but my eyes suck so I probably missed something. RA has a bunch of new interfaces, but I'm pretty sure LWAMI doesn't touch them.

By the way, I've grown to really dislike quick mission. If you're playing manually, it hardly gives you time to develope situational awareness before the shooting starts. These days I'd rather play one of the numerous user-created scenarios or just create a dynamic one of my own. It's really, really easy to design a mission similar to the 'quick missions' and make it even more dynamic and unpredictable. You can space the units out more and give yourself a little while to scan the sonar and aquire a few solutions before you get shot at. However, quick mission is a great way to develope your shooting and evasion skills.

Oh BTW, you installed the 1.04 patch for both versions right?

Last edited by NFunky; 06-22-10 at 08:21 PM.
NFunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-10, 08:11 PM   #5
TLAM Strike
Navy Seal

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 6

If you installed RA first the interface files for RA may have been copied for LWAMI or as backups for DW stock for when you disable LWAMI.

TLAM Strike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-10, 04:50 AM   #6
Cy-Fox
SUBSIM Mod (CW+Discord)

It already comes as 1.04. I've noticed that if I try to start it from the LWAMI modified installation, it brings up the RA splash and interface. Same withs tock DW. But if I run stock DW from the launcher, it works. Could it be that whatever installation has current 'focus' is dominant until I change its focus by loading the launcher of the other version?

Old 06-23-10, 01:27 PM   #7
NFunky
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 3

I don't quite understand what you mean by 'change the focus' in the launcher. I personally never use the launcher so I'm not exactly sure how it works. The best way I've found to have multiple installations is to install the game once, then rename the Dangerous Waters folder (on the hard drive, not the start menu) and install the game again. This way you can swap out which version you play by simply renaming its folder 'Dangerous Waters' (or whatever the installation path points to). You probably have multiple versions installed seperately and it's likely there are some shared registry entries between them which could be causing the problems you indicated.
NFunky is offline   Reply With Quote