SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH5 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-18-12, 12:01 AM   #901
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Downloads: 147
Uploads: 5

Here's how the whole CO2 thing is calculated:

Every frame update the timer value is incremented 100 @ TC1 (while using the debugger - frame update time is 0.1 when using debugger)
Once the timer value >= timer value for triggering (357100) then:

It gets the timer value for triggering (357100) and divides it by 1000.0
this results in 357.1 (this would be a value in seconds)

the game takes 48.0 and takes the reciprocal of it (1 / 48.0)
it then multiplies that value by 357.1 (seconds)
this result is the CO2 generation in that period of time (357.1 seconds)
it then divides that value by 3600.0 [total seconds in an hour] (we'll call this result1)

it then gets the current CO2 %
it compares current CO2 % to 0.9
if current CO2 % if after 0.9 it does some other calculations that results in a new current CO2 %

it then mutliplies result1 by a factor (1.0) <-- this is probably an ability
then adds current CO2 % to this result
then it ensures new CO2 % value is between 0.0 and 1.0 and stores the new CO2 % to memory

it then compares new current CO2 % to 0.75
if after 0.75 it does something (haven't triggered it yet)

it then compares new current CO2 % to 0.9
if after 0.9 it does something (haven't triggered it yet)

it then compares new current CO2 % to 0.99
if after 0.99 it does something (haven't triggered it yet but appears to be death scene)

So how do you want to revamp the CO2
TheDarkWraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-12, 01:56 AM   #902
TheBeast
The Old Man

Downloads: 876
Uploads: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkWraith View Post
So how do you want to revamp the CO2
To many unknown variables to add any input of value at this time.

As sober pointed out. The first Co2 Warning occurs @ 10% Co2 saturation.

Currently my Boson is not trained, so this warning only takes about 8 hours (game time) to trigger. Let me get my Boson trained to see what impact if any this has on timer changes when crew expertise is higher.

Personaly I would like to adjust timer so the Co2 Warning takes 10-12 hours with rookie crew.

SHIV-MediaFire | SHV-MediaFire
TheBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-12, 04:27 AM   #903
Trevally.
Navy Seal

Downloads: 166
Uploads: 28

I think the CO2 should be set for 20 to 30 hours

@TDW
If you can also adjust the Battery recharge rate
It takes way too long in SH5 - here is some info :-

Quote:
The English worked out some average figures when conducting their offensives against the U-boats in the Bay of Biscay. Michael Gannon recites them in "Black May," pp. 263-264. Paraphrased:

A typical U-boat could proceed underwater at a rate of about 2 knots for a distance of about 50 miles. This was an optimum speed to provide the greatest underwater range. Ater that time (about 25 hours at economy speed) it would be forced to surface to recharge. Running flat-out at about 9 knots, the batteries would be exhausted in about an hour. The exponential rate of battery drain associated with increased speed mandated the use of measured quantities of "full ahead" while submerged. (Consider the improved Type XXI's -- which could do about 17 knots max underwater, but then again for only about an hour.)

To fully recharge the batteries required a run of 7 to 8 hours at an optimum surface speed of 12 knots. Clutching one diesel to the propellers and one diesel to the dynamotors was a typical arrangement when recharging, and gave the U-boat about 12 knots on the surface. A U-boat could clutch both diesels to the dynamotors and simply sit and recharge but this was somewhat hazardous -- i.e, "a sitting duck."

U-boats could, and did, of course reduce their submerged speed still futher to extend underwater battery life as much as possible, although trim became adversely affected when there was no forward motion -- a U-boat could not hover underwater indefinitely and maintain static bouyancy. However, after about 40 hours submerged, the U-boats air supply typically dictated a rise to the surface, at a minimum to ventilate the boat (although there were longer submergences recorded by determined commanders). Assuming a surfacing to ventilate and then an immediate dive to evade pursuers, the ventilation cycle consumed the equivalent amperage of 7 minutes of recharging time.

The advent of the schnorkel late in the war changed this, of course. A U-boat need not rise above schnorkeling depth at all during a patrol; however, the schnorkel limited the U-boats speed to about 5 knots and provided the most basic of ventilation for human needs.

A typical underwater running pattern would be to proceed at something just above economy speed if not in danger of attack (maybe 4-5 knots) for 7 to 12 hours. This coincided with a "day/night" type pattern of operations (submerge by day, surface by night) since only U-boats seeking to transit the Bay of Biscay or simply stay out of sight would run their e-motors for 25 hours at 2 knots. U-boats did most of their work on the surface.

During D/C attack periods U-boats could apply "full ahead" to try and get away during the explosions - a period when the cavitations of high-speed underwater propellers were unlikely to be picked up by the hydrophone operators on destroyers and corvettes. Again, because of the much faster rate of battery depletion during full ahead maneuvers, such bursts of speed were saved for when really needed.

Although I am no expert (and there are some out there!) I hope this information is helpful.

Chris M.
Miami, Florida USA
Links for info :-

http://uboat.net/forums/read.php?20,...1708#msg-61708
http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/der...i/VIIbatteries
Old 08-18-12, 10:27 AM   #904
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevally. View Post
I think the CO2 should be set for 20 to 30 hours

@TDW
If you can also adjust the Battery recharge rate
It takes way too long in SH5 - here is some info :-

Links for info :-

http://uboat.net/forums/read.php?20,...1708#msg-61708
http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/der...i/VIIbatteries
Yes I can change the battery discharge and recharge rate along with the fuel consumption rate
Old 08-18-12, 12:04 PM   #905
stoianm
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 833
Uploads: 11

I just finised to install again my mods... this patch become since last time i used (1 year ago) a piece of art.. it is working for real in the game all the changes that i made in the patcher? The magnetic detonation are working now if i set for example at 4 metters under the keel?
stoianm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-12, 12:06 PM   #906
Tonci87
Captain

Downloads: 116
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoianm View Post
I just finised to install again my mods... this patch become since last time i used (1 year ago) a piece of art.. it is working for real in the game all the changes that i made in the patcher? The magnetic detonation are working now if i set for example at 4 metters under the keel?
May someone enlighten me on why and how I should use magnetic detonators? Why is it better to use them than to use the impact detonator?
Tonci87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-12, 12:21 PM   #907
stoianm
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonci87 View Post
May someone enlighten me on why and how I should use magnetic detonators? Why is it better to use them than to use the impact detonator?
If u use impact detonator ur angle to impact must to be close to 90 degree to have not surprise like the torpedo touch the ship and do not explode. If u put an magnetic detonation, for instance 2-4 metters under the keel and close the middle of the ship than u have a lot of chances that the ship will be split in 2. I like this a lot. Or if u put a magnetic and u will missing your calculation and the torpedo go 2-4 metters in front or after the ship is passing u have chances to do some damages because the torpedo will explode when she will be close to the ship. Sorry for my writting but 1 year i wroted only in french.
Old 08-18-12, 12:23 PM   #908
Tonci87
Captain

Downloads: 116

Quote:
If u use impact detonator ur angle to impact must to be close to 90 degree to have not surprise like the torpedo touch the ship and do not explode. If u put an magnetic detonation, for instance 2-4 metters under the keel and close the middle of the ship than u have a lot of chances that the ship will be split in 2. I like this a lot. Or if u put a magnetic and u will missing your calculation and the torpedo go 2-4 metters in front or after the ship is passing u have chances to do some damages because the torpedo will explode when she will be close to the ship. Sorry for my writting but 1 year i wroted only in french.
So why should I use an impact detonator then? More damage?
Tonci87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-12, 12:30 PM   #909
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonci87 View Post
So why should I use an impact detonator then? More damage?
Yes and no. The way SHCollisions.act models it is this (for magnetic detonations and DCs):
if the AP value of the weapon > AP value of zone (box) X 4 then it incurs damage. Torpedoes have an AP of 100 so usually every zone (box) takes damage within the radius up to MaxRadius of the weapon. The good thing about the magnetic detonators is the 'impact' is real close to the keel. If you manage to 'destroy' a keel zone (box) that piece breaks off the ship.
Old 08-18-12, 12:50 PM   #910
stoianm
Ocean Warrior

@tdw

i use your last mod that u puted about magnetic on this thread.. i do not understand well something: u putted that at a distance of 4 metters anny magnetic torpedo will explode or i must to set at maximum 4 metters under the keel to be sure that i will have an explozion?
tnx
Old 08-18-12, 12:56 PM   #911
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Quote:
@tdw

i use your last mod that u puted about magnetic on this thread.. i do not understand well something: u putted that at a distance of 4 metters anny magnetic torpedo will explode or i must to set at maximum 4 metters under the keel to be sure that i will have an explozion?
tnx
That mod extended the range of the magnetic detonators of the torpedoes to a radius of 4m. That means if the magnetic detonator senses anything within 4m of it it has a chance of triggering a torpedo detonation. This allows you to place the torpedo a little further under the keel (up to 4m). The stock version puts the magnetic detonator range at 2m.
Old 08-18-12, 12:59 PM   #912
stoianm
Ocean Warrior

Nice.. so u solved that problem... i am in my way to first patroll place.. my first victim will taste a magnetic torpedo under the keel
Old 08-18-12, 01:16 PM   #913
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Quote:
Nice.. so u solved that problem... i am in my way to first patroll place.. my first victim will taste a magnetic torpedo under the keel
You applied the patch that fixes the magnetic detonators correct? If not the magnetic detonators will not work.
Old 08-18-12, 01:22 PM   #914
stoianm
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkWraith View Post
You applied the patch that fixes the magnetic detonators correct? If not the magnetic detonators will not work.
Yes i applied that patch that fixes the magnetic detonators (i hope that i made corect.. i will test today for sure.. if is not working i will try to applie the patch again.. but i hope i did veerithing right like u wroted there) and i installed the 2 files that u puted at the end of the thread too (torpedoes_g7a-e.sim and Torpedos_AI.sim).
Old 08-18-12, 02:00 PM   #915
Rongel
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 174

Hi TDW!

For some reason I haven't got any duds even with the latest patches. When I noticed this, I tested it more in historical missions, I even put the dud chances to 90 % in the torpedo.zon file, but not a single one. It's weird because I remember that it worked with the earlier patches. Could be a human error, but I have double checked that the patch is installed right (doors close and open when pressing F7 and so on). Any ideas about this?

Also noticed that when the engine room gets damaged and the effects start, there is no way to stop them, even when the damage is repaired. It always happens there.
Rongel is offline   Reply With Quote