SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-13-21, 12:04 PM   #196
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10
Uploads: 0

After the embassy debacle in Libya precautions must be taken. Reductions in embassy staff and closures are a must. But we just made a very public request to the Taliban to spare our embassy. IMO this is the Talibans moment of truth, do they have what it takes to be a legitimate government or just another embassy burning terrorist group? I think everyone including us are preparing to do business with them.

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.
Rockstar is online   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-21, 12:18 PM   #197
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Nato says it will support Afghanistan's government as much as possible.

“Our aim remains to support the Afghan government and security forces as much as possible. The security personnel is paramount,” Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg said. “Nato will maintain our diplomatic presence in Kabul, and continue to adjust as necessary.”

He said that Nato - a powerful political and military alliance between 30 European and North American countries - was concerned about the high levels of violence caused by the Taliban’s offensive and reports of human rights abuses.

“The Taliban need to understand that they will not be recognised by the international community if they take the country by force. We remain committed to supporting a political solution to the conflict,” Mr Stoltenberg said.
So how do you define or explain what
Quote:
as much as possible.
is/means?

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-21, 12:38 PM   #198
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

The withdrawel is not wrong - the change in mission objectives after the opening stage was wrong. The political expectations that got linked to the war were wrong. The end now is neither a surprise, nor was anything different to be expected. In 2006 I wrote a long essay, and in it I argued that one day that war would, after having been fought in a wrong fashion, necessarily end in exactly the way it ends now: by the Americans loosing interest in it and qickly slipping out, and every ally of theirs following them in their wake, and the country then soon returning to its previous state.

Another strategic defeat has been added to the by now impressingly long list of strategic defeats of the US since WWII. And as in the cases before: the defeat is politically caused, not by the military. The respnsiblke one is not Biden, he just made the right conclusions and puts Americans' interests first and just draws the inevitable consequences. The politicians messing up the mission two decades earlier by changing its objective to state building - these idiots are the ones responsible. The European puppies who obediently clapped hands and jumped on board of the floating boat, are responisble. If somebody wants to point fingers, point it not at Biden. Point it at Bush jr and Rumsfeld and Cheney. Two wars they launched. Two wars they strategically lost. Two wars they had illusions about and lied about.

Iraq is next. Will take quite some more years, but stability, democracy, inter-ethnical fairness and law and order, look differently. Turkey pokes its fingers into it. Iran pokes its fingers into it. The Kurdish are in it. The Pakistani mess with it. China comes into play. Russia is looking closely.

Just a question of time until Booom! and Woosh-out-everybody!
Old 08-13-21, 02:06 PM   #199
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

I’m not certain its another doom and gloom strategic defeat. We have twenty years experience in Afghanistan it’s not like we don’t know who the Taliban are. In fact because of the many factions I’d bet we developed some pretty good relations with some, and maybe not so good with others. We have established an embassy and thanks to an agreement with India have the strategic capability to impose ourselves upon the Taliban or what ever government Afghans choose to accept.

Russia banned the Taliban and Babushka is concerned about the security of their southern neighbors. China’s Communist dictatorship is scared to death of religion in general especially militant Islamist religious zealots who support Muslim Uyghur rebels. And the U.S.? Well we took the Taliban off our list of terrorist concerns years ago. So I’m thinking we’re ready to work with them, AGAIN.

If the Taliban can’t show restraint we’ll lob a few more well placed drone strikes from India or a carrier strike group at or near top Taliban leadership until we find someone who will. Which reminds me of a story. At work I noticed a young Navy Enlisted lady in uniform walk into the store, I recognized her rating badge was a fire control tech. You could tell she the way she carried herself and wore that uniform she was dedicated. I asked what she does and she looked smiled and cooly said: “I drop warheads on foreheads” Laughing all I could say was “I’m sure as hell glad you’re on our side.”

And yes I know I could be completely wrong, just my .2 cents

Last edited by Rockstar; 08-13-21 at 06:06 PM.
Old 08-13-21, 02:15 PM   #200
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Downloads: 0

Someone a made a mistake, but this is not time to blame.

Bring them home safe Lord
or achievement

Lord help me get to the next plateau ..

Mr Quatro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-21, 02:20 PM   #201
Otto Harkaman
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 31

Its noted corruption has played a large part in the Afghan government's inability to retain control of the country. I think we have to face up to our own corruption. We fail every time in nation building, we often try to impose a corrupt government on other people. Its because we have corrupt people in our leadership who look after their own self interest and what benefits they can reap out of these situations. Its not always money that is skimmed but perhaps an advancement in career (political, civil and military), not rocking the boat, going with the flow, suppressing actual facts of what is the real situation. Pursuing a fanciful outcome that doesn't have the remotest chance of being achieved.

Last edited by Otto Harkaman; 08-13-21 at 03:02 PM.
Otto Harkaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-21, 03:05 PM   #202
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

Skybird wrote
"But the pace at which the Taleban move the time back to pre 2001, is so breathtaking that even I am surprised."

Tells me that having modern weapon and trained soldier isn't enough the will to fight must be there, a will these Taliban seems to have a lot more of, than the Afghan army has.

Markus

My little lovely female cat
mapuc is online   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-21, 03:13 PM   #203
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Now bear in mind this is just gossip. But there are a few blogs in India. Where someone suggested when we secretly left Bagram airbase. We indirectly armed the Taliban by leaving behind a weapons cache for them to loot before Afghan forces were aware of what happened.

Lol crazy times

Old 08-13-21, 03:35 PM   #204
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockstar View Post
Now bear in mind this is just gossip. But there are a few blogs in India. Where someone suggested when we secretly left Bagram airbase. We indirectly armed the Taliban by leaving behind a weapons cache for them to loot before Afghan forces were aware of what happened.

Lol crazy times
Read that somewhere too that US forces had left some material behind some humvee and other things(can't remember what it was)

I was thinking Oh man are they such a hurry that they leave stuff behind, like they did in Dunkirk in WWII.

Markus

My little lovely female cat
mapuc is online   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-21, 04:09 PM   #205
Otto Harkaman
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 31

Pak, Taliban & China: A new Axis of evil

Otto Harkaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-21, 04:33 PM   #206
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

I’ve read some articles which indicate Pakistan is very worried over how quickly the Taliban is sweeping through Afghanistan. They fear it might spur on the Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan into reviving Islamic militancy within Pakistan’s own borders, threatening its internal security. Which I’m sure India and the U.S. wouldn’t mind so much because it would also destabilize the relationship between the Chicoms and Pakistan.

China condemns terror blast at Pakistan hotel hosting Chinese envoy…

https://www.globaltimes.cn/page/202104/1221864.shtml

Last edited by Rockstar; 08-13-21 at 04:42 PM.
Old 08-13-21, 04:53 PM   #207
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapuc View Post
Read that somewhere too that US forces had left some material behind some humvee and other things(can't remember what it was)

I was thinking Oh man are they such a hurry that they leave stuff behind, like they did in Dunkirk in WWII.

Markus

Report about the Germans. With the last air transport of theirs they did not fly out local workers that helped them, no: they flew out palettes with beer.

Those coworkers until this week had been left in hiding in safe houses and told they have to organise their flights themselves and pay them and only if thy goit Visas for Germany. Then the Visa tzhing wa sskipped, and sitllthey were not flown out. Now the Germans plan to charter two civilian airlifts later this month. For two thousand workers and their families.

The german girly playiung defenc enoniostress blame dit all oin th afghan giovenbrment and said they Afghans do not want to let them leave before they had been handed out Afghan passports.

When they are beign foudn and all killed, German oifficials will cry crodcodile tears and will hold sad speeches with powerful wordings and promise that the world will and mist learn from this.

The Germans. Always rules, always according to rules. Life can wait if there is no rule for it.

It makes me sick with anger. The garden gnome playing forieng monster now said he wants to speed up things with those two charter flights.

It seems he still has not figured out that two flights are not enough for 2000 people. Math problems at school?
Old 08-13-21, 07:54 PM   #208
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

So there I was thinking about the U.S. removing the Taliban from its terrorist watch list.

Then I thought, what about the E.U.? Feel free to check but I couldn’t find them on their list either.

https://www.consilium.europa.eu/en/p...errorist-list/

But Russia and China have them at the top of their list. I guess the enemy of my enemy is my friend.

Hadn’t looked at the U. K. List yet.

Old 08-13-21, 08:57 PM   #209
em2nought
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 0

What a waste, again. We'll never learn.
Old 08-14-21, 06:06 AM   #210
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Afghan President Ashraf Ghani said "consultations" were taking place on ending the conflict.

Taliban target province close to Kabul, with reports of fierce fighting.

The militants have now taken half of the 34 Afghan provincial capitals.

US troops now in Kabul will be able to airlift thousands of people a day, officials say.

European countries are also scrambling to get their nationals out of Afghanistan.

Fighting is also reported around the northern town of Mazar-e-Sharif, previously an anti-Taliban stronghold.

The UN says the situation is spinning out of control with devastating consequences for civilians.

Canadian officials have announced that they will expand a resettlement program to take in about 20,000 Afghan refugees.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote