SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-24-12, 01:35 PM   #481
tomoose
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 23
Uploads: 0
Default Strange

jimbob;
SHIV Speech should NOT be activating anything other than in the game.
Are you activating speech recognition and then starting SHIV Speech?
If so, you don't have to, just start SHIV Speech and then start the game.
tomoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-12, 10:52 AM   #482
bbrus
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 20

Hello everyone,

Do you know if SH4 Speech can be used in German, or if there's any voice recognition mod to use with Operation Monsun? I've been searching for a while but I can only find voice mods in german for SH3 and SH5.
bbrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-12, 04:29 PM   #483
Herr Trigger
Electrician's Mate

Downloads: 191

Hi, has anyone been able to run sh4speech under Win7 ? I'm having a great deal of grief with this, mic and everthing else works, all I get is the DOS box with the set resolution etc and 'Listening', at any verbal command - nothing.
Yes, I'm starting sh4speech first, then SH4, " I have 10 tubes", "reset tubes", "reset dials",blah blah, give command "Bridge" and nothing.
Any ideas?
Many Thanks,
H.T.

p.s.

I,ve read through this thread over and over and tried every conceivable suggestion but no one has mentioned Win7
Herr Trigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-12, 05:42 AM   #484
Stargazer
A-ganger

Downloads: 32

I discovered this purely by accident yesterday and I wish I has found it earlier. This is an amazing piece of work.

I noticed the chap above me asking about Win7. Mr Trigger, run your Win7 Speech Recognition program, this may be a bit quirky but you can train it to be less useless.

Once that program is running, then launch the shSpeech batch file and you're good to go. but Windows has to be listening first otherwise the batch file has no way to interface with you.

Now, I have a question also: I have adjusted the batch file to shoe resolution 1920x1080. Things - for the most part - are working well, but there appears to be a bit of misclicking on the three dials for Speed, Heading/Rudder and Course.

Is this a side effect of using a 16x9 display rather than the more-PC-friendly 16x10? Has anyone got a TMO batch file with slightly adjusted mouse co-ordinates that makes a 1920x1080 voice commanding more accurate?

T'is also something of a Godsend, being able to bark orders inthis manner because I only installed TMO last night and all the buttons are different so instead of keybaord mashing, I can just ask for stuff and it magically appears.

Though I did burp rather audibly last night and subsequently exclaimed "Ooh, excuse me!" to which my Ex-O said, "Yes Sir, New Course: Two-Three"... that made me chuckle.
Stargazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-12, 04:51 AM   #485
Beardmoresam
A-ganger

Downloads: 412
Default Commands not effective

Hi, I really like the look of your work, however I'm having some small trouble with it.

It understands what I say perfectly as in the cmd window, the correct commands are being executed (when I check them after) but unfortunately, it is having absolutely no effect in game. Running full screen, 1366x768 on windows 7, made sure my anti-virus isn't sandboxing the program. Can't run it as administrator though as it just closes as soon as it opens. Wondering if perhaps that's the issue?

Any help is appreciated, thanks.
Beardmoresam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-12, 12:02 PM   #486
abel5405
Nub

Downloads: 117
Default Command bar and Dial issues

Old play returning here, I have been play with the speach mod all morning but the Command Bar and dial locations seem to be off. The best example I have is wheen I order "Depth Under Keel" the mouse clicks on the "Pariscope Depth" button.

I have followed all the instructions for startup but still have the same problem. Is there a fix chance? Many thanks in advance for your time and help.
abel5405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-12, 09:31 PM   #487
minsc_tdp
XO

Downloads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by abel5405 View Post
Old play returning here, I have been play with the speach mod all morning but the Command Bar and dial locations seem to be off. The best example I have is wheen I order "Depth Under Keel" the mouse clicks on the "Pariscope Depth" button.

I have followed all the instructions for startup but still have the same problem. Is there a fix chance? Many thanks in advance for your time and help.
This is most likely due to your resolution being out of match with what is set in the configuration file. I can't give specifics as I've forgotten too much, but I'm sure if you dig in you'll see what I mean.
Old 10-21-12, 09:36 PM   #488
minsc_tdp
XO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stargazer View Post
I discovered this purely by accident yesterday and I wish I has found it earlier. This is an amazing piece of work.

I noticed the chap above me asking about Win7. Mr Trigger, run your Win7 Speech Recognition program, this may be a bit quirky but you can train it to be less useless.

Once that program is running, then launch the shSpeech batch file and you're good to go. but Windows has to be listening first otherwise the batch file has no way to interface with you.

Now, I have a question also: I have adjusted the batch file to shoe resolution 1920x1080. Things - for the most part - are working well, but there appears to be a bit of misclicking on the three dials for Speed, Heading/Rudder and Course.

Is this a side effect of using a 16x9 display rather than the more-PC-friendly 16x10? Has anyone got a TMO batch file with slightly adjusted mouse co-ordinates that makes a 1920x1080 voice commanding more accurate?

T'is also something of a Godsend, being able to bark orders inthis manner because I only installed TMO last night and all the buttons are different so instead of keybaord mashing, I can just ask for stuff and it magically appears.

Though I did burp rather audibly last night and subsequently exclaimed "Ooh, excuse me!" to which my Ex-O said, "Yes Sir, New Course: Two-Three"... that made me chuckle.
1920x1080 is a 16:9 aspect ratio, so the ideal screen is in fact a 16:9 display. If you had a 16:10 display and were running 1920x1080 some of the pixels would be stretched and the clicks could be off where they should be. But this could still be related somehow.

My suggestion is to launch your game and take a screenshot, then put that screenshot into a graphic editing program to determine the actual dimensions of the screen, then set your batch file to that.

What is possibly happening is you have an overscan/underscan setting on your display which is causing 1920x1080 to actualy be something like 1908x1010 or something equally weird. When this is in effect, it "lies" to the game and says it's 1920x1080, but then it alters it on the video card after the fact and that would break the locations of things making shSpeech misclick.

Summary: Don't trust your video card resolution or what the game says. Take a screenshot and measure it to determine your actual resolution and put that in the batch file.

Hope that helps.
Old 10-22-12, 07:12 AM   #489
BigWalleye
Sea Lord

Downloads: 465

minsc, I found your excellent piece of work a couple of months ago. (It's really an add-on rather than a mod.) I have been using it ever since. The ability to give orders to your crew and have them execute completely changes the experience of the simulation. Nothing will make me feel that I am in a wartime environment while sitting in front of my computer, but the sense of being in a true simulation is enhanced. I would recommend that anyone who has a computer capable of speech recognition download this package, go out and buy a cheap headset (that's all you need) and try it. It's lightyears away from clicking buttons or tapping on a keyboard.

I did notice immediately that all the mouse-click commands were off. The dial-setting commands were initally unusable and the buttonbar commands work in the stock game, but not well in TMO and not at all in RFB. I have used two different monitors with two different resolutions. (1336x768 and 1920x1080). The stock settings would not work in either case. It is not just an overscan issue. I found it was necessary to adjust the mapping files, command_bar.csv and dials.csv, line by line in order to get the package to work properly. I'm sure there is a analytical way to determine the correct adjustments, but I used brute force - change a parameter, then go to SH4 and see if it worked. I eventually developed a strategy for doing this more rationally and precisely, but some of my earliest adjustments are a little rough and I never went back and refined them. (By then, all I wanted to do was play the game!)

If you are interested, I would be happy to send you my final operating files. You might be able to understand why the rework was necessary. If it's OK with you, I would also certainly be willing to make my tweaked version of your work available to anyone who wants to use it. It might save you/them a lot of twiddling. Just one caution: the key_commands.csv file is tweaked to my own custom keyboard mapping. You'll have to drop in the stock key_command.csv to use it.

BTW, I have versions which are compatible with RFB, TMO, and OM. The OM version accepts standard American English. Although my crew responds in Deutch, I'm not sufficiently fluent to give orders in a time-critical situation.
BigWalleye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-12, 03:07 AM   #490
Abraxus
Nub

Downloads: 0

Hi everyone

I just try the sh4speech 2.38 to use with SH4 1.4 but it doesnt work !

When i launch sh4speech - stoch.bat , and when i'm speaking , the command is well recognized. So i launch the game and nothing happens ! Even the "surface command"' which is just a key typing !

I try with VACbuilder but it's the same. To give you an exemple, i launch the notepad and try the command "Surface" and notepad shows me "S". So i think the vocal recognition works. But when i launch the game ..nothing.

And i'm on win7

Anyone have an idea ?

Thx
Abraxus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-12, 08:04 AM   #491
BigWalleye
Sea Lord

When you launch the game with sh4speech running, does the game respond to normal key commands?
Old 11-10-12, 04:22 AM   #492
Abraxus
Nub

What do you mean about "normal key command"? If you're talking about the "load six tube/reset tubes/reset dials" no, it doesn't work. But even a simple "surface" command (which is the key S" doesnt work.

But eyh ! hot news : it seems that sh4speech is working when i'm in windowed mod. I think speechSDK doesn"t recognize the active window when SH4 is in fullscreen mode. no ?

[sorry for my bad english ]
Old 11-10-12, 08:04 AM   #493
BigWalleye
Sea Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abraxus View Post
What do you mean about "normal key command"? If you're talking about the "load six tube/reset tubes/reset dials" no, it doesn't work. But even a simple "surface" command (which is the key S" doesnt work.
Sorry, what I meant was this: If you have SH4 running with sh4speech and physically press the "S" key, does that work normally? I was trying to determine if something was amiss with the keyboard handler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abraxus View Post
But eyh ! hot news : it seems that sh4speech is working when i'm in windowed mod. I think speechSDK doesn"t recognize the active window when SH4 is in fullscreen mode. no ?
I have never run the game in windowed mode, only full-screen. I am running Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 and haven't seen this problem. In any case, if you are OK with running SH4 in windowed mode, then you have a work-around. I hope you enjoy playing SH4 with sh4speech. I think it adds a lot to the game.
Old 11-10-12, 12:00 PM   #494
Abraxus
Nub

Aaaah ok. Yes the normal key command is working ! And that's why i use it for my tests.

But i think it came from the configuration of my computer. I try with Voice Activated Command, Game Commander 2 and it's the same : voice control is recognized in windowed mode and not full screen.

So i will try to adjust the windowed mode to take the entire screen and see if it's work. It will seem like full screen huhu .

And yes, i will continue to use sh4speech . Thx you for ur help
Old 01-03-13, 08:31 PM   #495
minsc_tdp
XO

Default stuff

Abraxus - the fact that it works in notepad or windowed demonstrates how it works - it issues keystroke and mouse commands to the general OS. If a window is focused or fullscreen, it gets the command. This could be an unusual keyboard driver, but that's very unlikely to affect the mouse-based command unless they're some kind of combo unit or made by the same manufacturer. You might try uninstalling your existing keyboard and mouse drivers and any software associated with them, let Windows install the normal HID drivers, and try again. The drivers might be detecting fullscreen mode and doing some tricks to disable certain keys from the OS (such as the windows key) and in so doing, interfering with shSpeech.