SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-23-08, 12:17 AM   #391
billko
中国水兵

Downloads: 21
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SinkingDDT
I got MS Speech SDK 5.1 downloaded and working, but I can't get this amazing looking program to work. Obviously it would be GREAT, but it would really hook my eight-year-old who is now starting to share my interest in WWII subs.

When I run "sh4speech - stock.bat", I get a MS-DOS screen (?) that ends with "Listening... ." and the cursor blinking below that. What am I missing?

NOT A MODDER OR A COMPUTER MASTER AT ALL!

Any and all appreciated. You modders amaze and shame me.

In the meantime, can you help me?
You're missing... maybe microphone setup? There's a few things to do first:
  1. Make sure your microphone is plugged into the right jack and that it is turned on.
  2. Open the control panel: Start --> settings --> Control Panel.
  3. Double-click on the Speech icon. This opens Speech Properties.
  4. Configure the microphone
    1. Click on the <Configure Microphone> button in the Microphone section.
    2. Follow the prompts.
  5. Create a new Profile
    1. Click the <New> button in the Recognition Profiles section
    2. Follow the prompts to create it.
  6. Making sure the Profile you've created has a check mark next to it, train it
    1. click on the <Train Profile...> button
    2. Follow the prompts.
  7. Start up the SH4Speech application, then SH4 itself and enjoy the game
IMHO, it's best, if you have a middle mouse button, to configure the press-to-talk option. That way extraneous noise (or a malicious siblng) can't trigger a false command.

Hope this helps!
Old 11-23-08, 10:07 PM   #392
SinkingDDT
Swabbie

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
No joy-

Thanks, Billko-

I don't know how I did it, but I finally got beyond the "Listening..." prompt, but... .

I kept getting it. I spoke many of the commands into the microphone, and would get several lines of text each time, which looked like I was making progress! WOO-HOO! But it kept happening, like it was "Groundhog Day". So, I think the mike is working and the program is 'learning', but I don't know how to 1) make it either stop or remember or 2) actually see anything happening in SH4 itself.

I have the speechpack in my DOCUMENTS folder. Is that the problem?

Thanks for the quick response, Billko.
Old 11-24-08, 02:29 AM   #393
billko
中国水兵

Quote:
Thanks, Billko-

I don't know how I did it, but I finally got beyond the "Listening..." prompt, but... .

I kept getting it. I spoke many of the commands into the microphone, and would get several lines of text each time, which looked like I was making progress! WOO-HOO! But it kept happening, like it was "Groundhog Day". So, I think the mike is working and the program is 'learning', but I don't know how to 1) make it either stop or remember or 2) actually see anything happening in SH4 itself.

I have the speechpack in my DOCUMENTS folder. Is that the problem?

Thanks for the quick response, Billko.
So, you've gone through the checklist? Each step MUST be completed for the application to work properly. Setting up the mic makes sure that the microphone gain is enough so that the application can "hear" your voice, but not so loud it distorts and the application cannot understand what you are saying. Training is important because the application has to hear you speak so it can match sounds that you make to text that it "reads."

Also, what you are reporting may actually be the application working as planned. Buried somewhere deep in the documents is an explanation that, to paraphrase, "needs to periodically restart the speech engine to avoid a memory leak." If what you see is "Restarting the speech engine" and then "listening..." that should be normal.

Again, I hope I've given you enough knowledge to make it work! This is such a neat application, I wouldn't give up on it just yet!

Oh, and it shouldn't matter where you placed the SH4Speech folder, as long as it isn't in the recycle bin!

Bill

Last edited by billko; 11-24-08 at 02:30 AM.
billko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-08, 09:35 AM   #394
SinkingDDT
Swabbie

Downloads: 0
Good to go-

Billko, you are the MAN!

Turns out I was, indeed, missing one simple step, and I got it from reading your e-mail--
Start up the SH4Speech application, then SH4 itself and enjoy the game
Um, I didn't realize I had to leave SH4SPeech open when I startedSH4. Which kinda makes sense, since I was thinking someone was a genius to have come up with a way for SH4 to know I wanted to use the Speechpack. Oh, the shame.... .

Thanks again, couldn't have done it without you!

Now for CapnScurvy's Medals Fix... .

What's an ".rar" file?
Old 11-26-08, 04:57 PM   #395
billko
中国水兵

Quote:
Billko, you are the MAN!

Turns out I was, indeed, missing one simple step, and I got it from reading your e-mail--
Start up the SH4Speech application, then SH4 itself and enjoy the game
Um, I didn't realize I had to leave SH4SPeech open when I startedSH4. Which kinda makes sense, since I was thinking someone was a genius to have come up with a way for SH4 to know I wanted to use the Speechpack. Oh, the shame.... .

Thanks again, couldn't have done it without you!

Now for CapnScurvy's Medals Fix... .

What's an ".rar" file?
I'm glad you got it to work!!! Have fun!!! And I wouldn't worry about feeling silly about something like this. The best way to learn is to make mistakes. Congrats on a growing experience.

Bill
Old 12-16-08, 08:16 AM   #396
sladecutter3
Swabbie

Downloads: 64
Default speech.bat

i downloaded sdk5, configured and ran speech recognition, downloaded and unzipped sh4speech, ran through the complete file, can not find speech.bat
a little help please
sladecutter3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-08, 11:15 AM   #397
billko
中国水兵

Quote:
Originally Posted by sladecutter3
i downloaded sdk5, configured and ran speech recognition, downloaded and unzipped sh4speech, ran through the complete file, can not find speech.bat
a little help please
Maybe you're looking for the wrong .bat file? It should be neamed: sh4speech - stock.bat. The version should be 2.x. Within the sh4speech folder should be 4 folders and the .bat files.

I'm not sure what "ran through the complete file" means? Sorry, but I don't understand what you are trying to say there.
Old 12-17-08, 12:38 PM   #398
sladecutter3
Swabbie

Downloads: 64
Default speech

thanks billko,was looking at the correct file all along:hmm: just didnt realize it. works great in game.
sladecutter3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-08, 06:50 PM   #399
billko
中国水兵

Quote:
Originally Posted by sladecutter3
thanks billko,was looking at the correct file all along:hmm: just didnt realize it. works great in game.
Totally awesome! I'm glad I could help.

Bill
Old 12-28-08, 04:29 PM   #400
Anti_Ship_Fella
Seaman

Downloads: 18
Default !

Nice job man....downloading this atm
Anti_Ship_Fella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-08, 05:51 PM   #401
Anti_Ship_Fella
Seaman

Downloads: 18

hey....im new and want to try this....so....how do i set up this mod (im running stock sh4)
Anti_Ship_Fella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-08, 01:47 PM   #402
billko
中国水兵

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anti_Ship_Fella
hey....im new and want to try this....so....how do i set up this mod (im running stock sh4)
Please refer to the first post in this thread. It will tell you everything you need to know... but I do want to clarify that when the author says "installation: none," what he really means is: "installation: unzip this archive to a folder that you would like to run it from (even the desktop is okay, though not recommended)."

Bill
Old 01-24-09, 02:29 PM   #403
abchirk
Swabbie

Downloads: 3

great toy!
It works fine for me, what I tested.
But when it runs in the background... the graphics judder a little bit...

if not, there is no juddering. it isn't the fastest game for me but it is fluent.

My system: (32bit)
CoreDuo @ 3,0Ghz (E8400)
Nvidia 7950GT 512mb RAM
4gbyte of RAM

Anyone else having trouble with the performance?
abchirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-09, 07:47 PM   #404
billko
中国水兵

Quote:
Originally Posted by abchirk
great toy!
It works fine for me, what I tested.
But when it runs in the background... the graphics judder a little bit...

if not, there is no juddering. it isn't the fastest game for me but it is fluent.

My system: (32bit)
CoreDuo @ 3,0Ghz (E8400)
Nvidia 7950GT 512mb RAM
4gbyte of RAM

Anyone else having trouble with the performance?
Tell you the truth, I've never seen a problem with it dragging the computer down, although I imagine it uses up a fair amount of resources. Well, not SH4Speech proper, but the speech engine that it uses.

Bill
Old 02-01-09, 12:32 PM   #405
scott613
Mate

Downloads: 37

What a great program you have - it really increases the immersion factor...

One possible issue I noticed with TMO - when requesting "Depth Below Keel" it seems to select "Periscope Depth" instead...

Not sure if anyone else has this problem...

Thanks again...
USS Flasher (SSN-613)
1985-1991
scott613 is offline   Reply With Quote