SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Modern-Era Subsims > Dangerous Waters > Sub Command, Fleet Command, & Jane's 688(I)
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-15-07, 04:43 PM   #1
RodBorza
Electrician's Mate

Downloads: 19
Uploads: 0
Default Hello! Back to SC

Hello all,

I am a long time Jane's 688(i) and Sub Command fan, and I decided to get the dyst off the last one. However, I got admit that I've never finished one campaign on SC, because I lacked the needed patience to play the game. Ok, now I have the patience, but it seems that I don't get the skills: I get detect every single time. And I am having a hard time to detect the enemy subs.
Reading through this forum, I saw guys saying that they are never detected and detect enemy subs up to 16,000 yards away!
I always go below 5 knots, usually 4 kts, try to go very deep, try to look for contacts on the Narrowband sonar (which detects first), but the max I got of detection range is 6000 yards. And then, it's too late, I am counter-detected and enemy subs start firing torps at me.
Very frustrating...

So, if you can help me, say what I'm doing wrong and what I can do to really enjoy this game.
Have played with Seawolf, up to Severomorsk mission, no mod SC with Patch 1.8.
RodBorza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-07, 07:33 PM   #2
MarkShot
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 93

Look for NB contacts with the towed array.

Make sure your display is set brightly so that faint lines show up against the dark background. Scan slowly.

Make sure you have your frequency set for 150Hz. This makes the contact more noticeable. Initial contacts will always show up between 50Hz to 60Hz.

Clear your baffles. You have an area of 60 degrees in which the TA does not detected. So, from time to time change course 60+ degrees.

Your listening will be better at least 200' or deeper away from surface wave action.

If you have an active contact, then click in BB to assign a tracker along that LOB even if you don't see anything on BB or NB. You may still be able to lock a tracker.

If you have a TA tracker, then go to Sphere BB and even if you don't see anything in BB or NB attempt to assign a tracker on the same LOB. Often you will be able to if the contact is within 10,000yds. This will give you a nice triangulation in TMA between the trailing and the bow sonars.

When looking for contacts on Sphere NB, you'll find most initial contacts in the 1,000Hz to 2,000Hz range. So, for TA scan at with freq set for 150Hz for Sphere scan with freq set to 2000Hz.

Be advised that it is a common scenario design trick to place a number of contacts on the same LOB or reciprocal LOB (due to TA ambiguity). You can see this in NB by spotting shifting and out of focus frequency lines across the whole 2000Hz spectrum. You can break out two contacts on the same LOB in NB by assigning trackers to different frequency lines that correspond to different contacts. Do this by just trying to assign a tracker to each frequency line and seeing if one takes.

I hope that helps. Good hunting!

NB: Quite a few of the campaign missions, single missions, and user download missions have bugs in them.
Old 12-15-07, 10:34 PM   #3
RodBorza
Electrician's Mate

Downloads: 19

Hey Mark Shot,

That sure helps. A lot!

I hope this time I enjoy this game as much as the others.

Thanks again!
RodBorza is offline   Reply With Quote