SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-03-20, 08:21 AM   #1
jorgegonzalito
Officer

Downloads: 322
Uploads: 0
Default Poor radar andookout coordination

Yesterday I completed the single mission "Strait of Mindanao", with very satisfactory results: two merchant ships, two troop transports and a destroyer to the bottom of the sea. Mission accomplished with 4 excess torpedoes, no damage and the crew totally unharmed. Could it be that I am learning? Hahaha. But as always happens, I discover something that is not quite right in the simulation, and in this case it is the poor information provided by the radar operator. You report a contact, but you don't know if it's an airplane or a ship, when you should know by reading the screen. Middle distance? what is that? Why don't you tell me it's 3,000 yards, then 2,500, then 2,000 and then I have time to dive? Worse still are the lookouts on the bridge, who with their binoculars do not seem to distinguish a seagull from a Japanese zero fighter. When they yell "plane spotted" instantly the deck is swept away by machine gun fire and a couple of bombs drop! If the periscopes or antennas are damaged we will be blind and the mission wasted! They say that leaving the contacts on the map activated is cheating, but with the poor information they give me, I have no other way. I want to be fair, and it could be that I'm the one doing something wrong. I would like to read expert opinions. From already thank you very much!

Last edited by jorgegonzalito; 11-03-20 at 04:30 PM.
jorgegonzalito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-20, 07:29 PM   #2
jorgegonzalito
Officer

Downloads: 322
Uploads: 0
Default My sincere apologies for not understanding .....

The reality that makes this simulator unreal is that apparently I have a crew whose members, with first and last names, faces, and a record of services, but ultimately I have to do everything myself. If I have the PPI radar in the 20,000 range, someone advises that there is a contact in such a long distance bearing. So I have to go look at the screen, and do a sweep to determine if such contact is a threat or not. See how far away it is, if it approaches or moves away, etc. etc. Okay guys, I finally understood how this works, I just hope I don't have to go to the kitchen to check if they remembered to add salt to the food. From the end of the month the radar operators will give me half of their salaries, and not to protest!

Postscript: The most real of all simulators is the train simulator, because just as in reality the train is driven by a single person, and the signals and stops are already established by the game, and the circulation of the other trains. Cheers!
jorgegonzalito is offline   Reply With Quote