SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Sub & Naval Discussions: World Naval News, Books, & Films
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-13-13, 08:37 PM   #76
Platapus
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreasT View Post
I saw this recently on TV. I could make a better film in my living room with my cat by drawing the special effects.
It was so bad I had to watch about half of it.
I never even heard of this movie. Is this one of those movies that goes straight to YouTube?

I hope the whale wins though.

There is only one species in nature that is a monster...
Old 07-27-13, 09:29 AM   #77
Perseus
Mate

Downloads: 3
Default Phantom

Ugh. Give this one a wide berth: 'Phantom'

Arguably one of the worst submarine movies I've ever had the misfortune of seeing.

Nearly everything is wrong with this movie. The story, the characters, the technical stuff, the references, the tactics, everything.

It is loosely - might I add, very loosely - based on a novel by Kenneth Sewell which he wrote about the sinking of the K-129 Golf-II SSBN northwest of Midway.

The K-129 actually did sink amid still unclear circumstances. You can read about that here.

But again, that was a Golf-II SSBN. Not the B-67 Foxtrot they show us in the movie.

When a mad KGB agent inside the boat forces the captain to nearly ram his SSBN into a Panamanian freight vessel by diving to 5 meters below it and actually having the con tower hit the freight vessels' aft propellers, I was ready to turn off the TV.

It was without a doubt the most absurd scene I have ever seen in a submarine movie

The captain is a traumatized epileptic and an alcoholic, the first obviously not being his fault and the second, well - let's just say that I know of no navy that would allow an epileptic alcoholic with a trauma about an earlier collision incident to drive a boomer, or any other vessel. Not even the Red Banner fleet of the 1960s, mad as they were.

And it's sad, because Ed Harris, David Duchovny and William Fichtner are fine actors. But even their acting couldn't save this monstrosity of a movie.
Perseus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-13, 01:27 PM   #78
Red October1984
Airplane Nerd

Downloads: 115

I haven't seen Phantom yet...but thanks for the warning.

I won't buy it...probably just rent it.
Old 07-28-13, 10:38 AM   #79
Platapus
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perseus View Post
When a mad KGB agent inside the boat forces the captain to nearly ram his SSBN into a Panamanian freight vessel by diving to 5 meters below it and actually having the con tower hit the freight vessels' aft propellers, I was ready to turn off the TV.

It was without a doubt the most absurd scene I have ever seen in a submarine movie
Sounds like the submarine version of the cowboy hero shooting the gun out of the bad guy's hand.
Old 07-28-13, 10:53 AM   #80
u crank
Old enough to know better

Downloads: 136

Quote:

Arguably one of the worst submarine movies I've ever had the misfortune of seeing.
I watched it. I also agree with your conclusion.

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”

― Arthur C. Clarke

u crank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-13, 08:40 AM   #81
Admiral Halsey
Best Admiral in the USN

Downloads: 298

U-571 is the worst sub movie I have ever scene while the best is Das Boot. The movie I hope someone makes is a one about U-505.
Admiral Halsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-13, 05:43 AM   #82
Julhelm
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 189

Quote:

I thought 'Yuryeong' aka 'Phantom the Submarine' was pretty silly. Especially the part where they sink a Japanese sub by snagging its prop with the towed array and dragging it down below crush depth.
Julhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-13, 06:12 PM   #83
Platapus
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral Halsey View Post
U-571 is the worst sub movie I have ever scene while the best is Das Boot. The movie I hope someone makes is a one about U-505.

I dislike the needless historical inaccuracies and the dreadful acting of this movie, but I can't agree that it is the worst sub movie ever made.

It is dreck but not the worst.

Now there was this movie with Tyrone in it......
Old 08-14-13, 07:57 PM   #84
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Old 08-14-13, 09:28 PM   #85
TLAM Strike
Navy Seal

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julhelm View Post
I thought 'Yuryeong' aka 'Phantom the Submarine' was pretty silly. Especially the part where they sink a Japanese sub by snagging its prop with the towed array and dragging it down below crush depth.
Not totally far fetched as some might think.

Back in the 1980s a Soviet Victor snagged a US Destroyer's towed array and got it wrapped around its prop. The Victor was disabled and forced to surface. They had to send a guy with an ax out on the aft deck to hack it off the screw before they could get underway again.

TLAM Strike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-13, 12:25 AM   #86
nikimcbee
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platapus View Post
I dislike the needless historical inaccuracies and the dreadful acting of this movie, but I can't agree that it is the worst sub movie ever made.

It is dreck but not the worst.

Now there was this movie with Tyrone in it......
Don't be a h8tr Platapus. You know you loved seeing those cool S-Boats.

"I don't understand why this....Platapus hates us? It's a great story!"
Old 08-15-13, 07:08 AM   #87
Red October1984
Airplane Nerd

Downloads: 115

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikimcbee View Post
Don't be a h8tr Platapus. You know you loved seeing those cool S-Boats.

"I don't understand why this....Platapus hates us? It's a great story!"
It's okay Crash Dive...I'm here for you! I liked it!
Old 08-15-13, 11:10 AM   #88
nikimcbee
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 90

Just think of this....
If Midge and Platapus ever hooked up?

Midge with Das Boot, Platapus with Crash Dive.....

(not an actual photo of Midge)
Old 08-16-13, 07:34 PM   #89
Platapus
Fleet Admiral

Man, A guy makes a few hundred posts slamming Crash Dive and all of a sudden he is branded a "hater".
Old 03-03-14, 12:12 PM   #90
hunter301
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by S-13 View Post
I love submarines, but I haven't seen enough of them to give an "actual worst" since I'm sure there are ones that deserve the title better to the one I'm going to name, which I'm sure alot of people liked.

With that said, I thought Hunt for Red October was pretty terrible, the whole plot about defecting was bad enough, but the idea of the newest ship in the fleet is given to a Captain who while highly decorated as the movie claims but his loyalty to his country isn't insured especially for a nuclear submarine? and rest of the crew would go along? Let alone the fact supposedly the XO of this ship would be a Political Officer?

It's a decent rambo style cold war action movie, but not my idea of a submarine movie.
Evidently you didn't listen to the movie you just watched it.

While I agree it was just a movie and highly unlikely to happen its plot did have credibility.
The XO wasn't the political officer. The XO was Borridan, the XO, the political officer was the guy he took out in his stateroom. Political Officers are highly fanatical like the Nazi SS of WW2 so this guy had to go.
When they were giving the briefing to the president's chief adviser Jack Ryan quoted that Ramius trained most of their top submarine skippers taking out the lead boat in every new class. He was quoted as being called: "The Villneous Schoolmaster". That's why he was on the Red October. It was the shakedown cruise for a new boat design. This also put him in a position to select his own officers, men who would be willing to defect with him. As Jack Ryan also quoted.
For the rest of the crew he created, with help from the chief engineer I'm sure an elaborate radiation scare to get them off the boat. Who wouldn't want to get off a boat being flooded with radiation.
Finally his reason for turning over the boat to the Americans was not for the purpose of defecting or being a traitor to his country. He quoted that "Red October" had but one purpose. To slip thru our eastern seaboard defenses and launch a nuclear attack on our country. "There are those that still believe we should strike first in one massive blow".....stated Ramius.
His reason for stealing the boat was to keep the Russians from having such an upper hand on us they could start world war three. Something any sane man would do anything in his power to avoid.
What about the beginning text? Did this have any credibility or was it just put there for the movie?

Again I realize it was just a movie and what it would take for these steps to happen in this order would be like winning the lottery. But it's not totally implausible.

"You know what the chain of command is?
It's the chain I get and beat you with till you understand who's in command."
-ME
hunter301 is offline   Reply With Quote