SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-07-22, 06:01 AM   #4186
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-22, 11:22 AM   #4187
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Funny, when I was at elementary school , I wanted a "Lassie-dog", a collie. And my father got one, our first dog, to my horrow no Lassie-coloured one, but a black white one, like a Scottish border collie.

His name was Andor.
Old 06-08-22, 12:39 PM   #4188
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Old 06-08-22, 05:09 PM   #4189
Skybird
Soaring

Anyone saw it back then, anyone remembering it? It was basically The Thing, but underwater. When you take it for what it is and not more than this, its a solid movie, surprisingly holding its ground against Abyss, The Thing, Alien.

Full movie:

I love all that old technology looks from the 80s. I never liked the touch screen "aesthetics" of the present.
Old 06-09-22, 07:54 AM   #4190
Skybird
Soaring

Around the year Leviathan ^ was in the movies, so late 90s or early 90s, there was another monster movie, also in a sealab at the bottom of the ocean, and the crew there found during mining work some sort of giant monster crab that let a whole cave collapse and was set free and started to demolition the sealab and bring the crew to miserable individual deaths with plenty of screamings. At least thats how I recall it. I cannot recall the title of it, and I think I once red there were massive copyright issues with it that prevented it from being broadcasted and treturning to the cinemas or being released on DVD.

Does anyone know which movie I mean and what the title was?
Old 06-09-22, 08:37 AM   #4191
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Old 06-10-22, 04:08 AM   #4192
Eisenwurst
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 58

Visually stunning movie. Beautiful Lead Actress Catherine Deneuve.

A Romance set in turbulent times for the French in Indochina.

Overall a sad film. Doubly sad for me 'cause my then gf chose it to break up with me. Her loss.

Eisenwurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-22, 04:16 AM   #4193
Rhodes
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 109

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
Around the year Leviathan ^ was in the movies, so late 90s or early 90s, there was another monster movie, also in a sealab at the bottom of the ocean, and the crew there found during mining work some sort of giant monster crab that let a whole cave collapse and was set free and started to demolition the sealab and bring the crew to miserable individual deaths with plenty of screamings. At least thats how I recall it. I cannot recall the title of it, and I think I once red there were massive copyright issues with it that prevented it from being broadcasted and treturning to the cinemas or being released on DVD.

Does anyone know which movie I mean and what the title was?

Do you remember the actors? Or if it had Miguel Ferrer as one of the actors?

If so, it may Deep Star Six.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DeepStar_Six
Rhodes is online   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-22, 09:43 AM   #4194
Moonlight
Admiral

Downloads: 184

Quote:
Jurassic World: Dominion follows the events of its predecessors with dinosaurs now roaming free around the world.
It brings back the original trilogy's stars who are investigating genetically-altered locusts that destroy the planet's crops.
Those characters eventually meet up with the new characters, played by Chris Pratt and Bryce Dallas Howard who are trying to rescue a 14-year-old human clone.
Critics say it relies too much on action and a convoluted story and that the dinosaurs play a secondary role, and it never develops its own identity.
Jurassic World Dominion REVIEW - NO SPOILERS

There's been some pretty bad reviews written about this movie already but I also know that film critics are not always reading from the same script as the public. I think the film critics went to see this film with an overly high expectation of the film in the first place and when it didn't quite deliver the goods for them they panned the movie.
I always give a movie 5 out of 10 before it begins and the bar is highered and lowered as I watch it, so until then I'll keep quiet about it, lets also not forget that Dinosaurs make money, "Big Money", and that kerching sound will be rocking once it's released for public viewing.
Old 06-11-22, 05:43 AM   #4195
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Old 06-11-22, 05:21 PM   #4196
Moonlight
Admiral

I watched this film tonight and was pleasantly surprised that it was better than I thought it would be, give it a watch as it'll pass a couple of hours on, and besides that, you'll more than likely enjoy it.
I'm not going to tell you any film spoilers as the youtube trailer deals with all that stuff, well, it hints at them anyway. The film has great parts, slow parts, single cross and double cross parts and even the old Hollywood cliche parts, yeah, (Hollywood does like it's CEO cliches).
Besides all that we have the terrific Charlize Theron in the lead female role with a good backup set of characters to boot, for anyone in Hollywood who doesn't know how to portray a “strong female character” just point them to this film and say watch that ****er.

Film Rating 7. (This film should have got an 8 but those Hollywood cliches keep on turning up)
Old 06-11-22, 10:03 PM   #4197
Eisenwurst
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 58

Eisenwurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-22, 08:12 AM   #4198
Moonlight
Admiral

^Ouch, that's brutal.

Jurassic World Dominion.
I went to a special screening today and saw this movie.

The Opening. (Act 1)
This is what grabs the viewers attention and sets up the rest of the movie for a rip roaring ending, it was, without doubt, the worst opening 40 minutes of any Jurassic Park\World film to date.

The Clone Girl Maisie. (Typical Hollywood Teenager) sigh.
There wasn't anything good I could say about Maisie, she was portrayed as a stereotypical Hollywood brat who quite frankly needed her head slamming into the nearest brick wall, (cue everyone cheering). This teenage American brat business has been done to death by Hollywood and it needs to stop, Now. There's been no creative writing done with this Maisie character and allied with the piss poor opening of the film its rating started to go downhill..... fast.
(This film has been a serious car crash so far and the movie has been carted off to hospital).

Middle section, Italy (Act 2)
Italy, a villainous CEO of an international genetics/agricultural corporation who's lying about how the company uses dinosaur DNA, these are where the genetically engineered locusts are, I've already said enough about insects, goodbye and **** off.

Middle section, Malta. (Act 2)
20 minutes taken from Act 1 and added here could have made this film the 2nd best Jurassic movie of all time.

This is where the action moves up a gear, Dino's bred for auction, and some raptors have been specially trained to attack specific targets aided by technology, it's all a bit mish mash for me as this part could have been the best part of the film.
This is where Dominion should have started to shine, but all we got was a few chase scenes and a couple of human deaths, as usual there wasn't any creative writing. Sadly, our heroes left the Dinosaurs running around like headless chickens back in Malta as they returned to Italy, what a load of bollocks.
(Life support has been switched on and the doctors are all shaking their heads).

Quote:
What was needed and should have happened was dead humans, Dino's, Dogs, horses, goats, and a few pet goldfish as well if that's what the director wanted. This could have made this film the Blockbuster of the decade never mind the year.
Groups of humans fighting back against rampaging raptors and the military flying teams of troops in to deal with the big one's, it would have been epic. The trouble with the Jurassic films is they treat these Dino's with kid gloves when in reality those Dinosaurs were vicious bleeding killers
Yeah, this is it, this is the reality of Dinosaurs meets modern humans, it wouldn't have been pretty but those images beamed onto our TV screens would have shocked Governments all over the world as the carnage unfolded.
Ending, Italy again. (Act 3)
There isn't too much to say about the ending, it fell way short of delivering the promised epic history changing finale that the franchise deserved, but hopefully the next film will try to fix that. There's no doubt in my mind that at least another 3 movies will be needed to finally bring this franchise to it's final conclusion, the Dino's need it, the Jurassic films need it, and lets not forget the paying puplic need it.
(There are signs of life but it's not looking good)

There must be some better authors\screenwriters out there than these current useless pillocks infesting Hollywood, they had all the ingredients there to make a Blockbuster from this film that would have been on a par or maybe even better than the original Jurassic Park. As it is these current writers have failed to deliver on multiple occasions and until they get some new blood into the mix they'll keep churning these average films out.

Film Rating 5.5 (This film had the potential to be an 8 but Hollywood and those writers screwed it all up again)
Old 06-13-22, 08:11 AM   #4199
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Old 06-15-22, 12:23 PM   #4200
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Tags
films, movie, movies