SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Classic Subsims
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-09-07, 05:50 PM   #1
MadMike
Watch Officer

Downloads: 232
Uploads: 0
Default "Nautilus" class missions- sorta...

Much as I love S-boats, I thought that missions using a Narwhal class submarine would be challenging.
However, there is no Narwhal or Argonaut class boat in SH2 or Pacific Aces, so I simply modified the parameters for the P Class to make it function as a Narwhal class boat (back up your original files).

1. Dive time increased to 86 seconds (per war patrol reports), max depth achieved in combat was 340 feet (test was 300). The Narwhal was a very large boat (349 feet versus 307 for a Gato). Believe me, you'll really start sweating when you have contacts and want to submerge (run decks awash, that helps).

2. External appearance (jrf, etc). Nothing changed since I'm not a hex editor; the appearance stays the same until some experienced PA modder creates the Argonaut or Narwhal class boat (don't think it would be too difficult, only time consuming).

3. Mission changes to historical scenarios- I didn't change much from stock, just edited the files in Topp with new starting points, return to base, and some objectives to reflect historical missions. Otherwise I reach the stock objectives and just patrol areas mentioned in war patrol reports-

http://www.esryle.com/coblinks/links/PATROLREPORTS.html

4. Guns- Narwhal class used two 6"/53 caliber guns (load times mentioned were once every ten seconds according to the NavWeaps website). The P Class has a 5" gun, I didn't change any features otherwise.

5. Nautilus had a TDC, but being the hardcore type I use manual TDC. Nautilus was fitted with SD radar in August 1942.

So, while you're technically still sailing a P Class (at least externally), the changes to the boat's handling are pretty noticeable.

Any modder from PA out there interested in creating a Narwhal class boat?

Yours, Mike
MadMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-07, 09:16 PM   #2
The Old Man
Gunner

Downloads: 0

Early British submarines of the Clyde and Narwhal classes.

Links

Well not exactly the 'real' one but my own repaint...

http://www.zshare.net/download/giorgiosaveroff-zip.html

Enjoy,
Mountbatten

will this work? I'd like Narwhal class boat in P.A.
if you get this to work let me know i'd like to have it
by the way the s-class campaign is murder just trying to complete it, I can just immagine what this would be like that long to dive & all LOL
thanx
Roy
The Old Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-07, 09:50 PM   #3
MadMike
Watch Officer

Old Man,
Looks interesting (as a British boat), but would it be possible using your skills to repaint a U.S. P Class boat into something like this?

Yours, Mike
Old 05-10-07, 01:08 AM   #4
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 2

The largest sub model available in SH2/DC was one the frenchs (Redoutable?). Probably a repaint of it would look much closer to a Narwhal/Argonaut than the P-Class:hmm:
Old 05-10-07, 01:30 AM   #5
JapLance
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

What about this Italian model of the Ammiragli Class? It has two guns and looks quite big:

Old 05-10-07, 05:56 AM   #6
The Old Man
Gunner

Downloads: 0

If I had the skills I would but it wasn't me that painted it, it was Mountbatten.
The Old Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-07, 05:58 AM   #7
MadMike
Watch Officer

The Ammiragli class looks like an interesting prospect. My sources show a length of 87.9m (228 feet) versus 106.4m (349 feet). Is the Ammiragli or Le Redoutable available in human controlled form?

Yours, Mike

Just found these links posted by Palindromeria in another forum-

Regia Marina Units pack - many italian subs
http://canarb.altervista.org/mod/regimarina.htm

american s class and british upholder

http://canarb.altervista.org/addon/units_addon.htm

I believe Palindromeria has some human controlled subs on his website.

Last edited by MadMike; 05-10-07 at 06:18 AM.
Old 05-10-07, 02:50 PM   #8
blumen-bts
Watch

Downloads: 34

Quote:
Is the Ammiragli or Le Redoutable available in human controlled form?
Ammiragli class(from maricosom.net) is human controlled

More info :http://www.regiamarina.net/subs/subm...i/cagni_us.htm
Old 05-10-07, 03:51 PM   #9
MadMike
Watch Officer

Yes indeed. Downloaded the Calvi class from Regia Marina and ran it through a scenario (edited the dive time, etc). Seems to work very well, and a very nice job on the sub also!

http://canarb.altervista.org/mod/regimarina.htm

Yours, Mike

(now if we could get Canarb and crew to create a Narwhal class boat...)
Old 05-11-07, 01:39 AM   #10
JapLance
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

The models in the Alfa Tau Mod are excellent, very beautiful and very convincing.

Could we have a download link to the Nautilus UDF?. Night commando-insertion missions await

Old 05-11-07, 04:58 PM   #11
MadMike
Watch Officer

I'm still testing the .udf file that I modifed (NSSCalvi). Changed the dive time to 86 seconds per the entry in Nautilus's ninth war patrol report. The unit will have to be added to the US DB file.
Other entry changes don't seem to have affected handling (such as surfaced displacement and submerged displacement).

The test depth of the Narwhal class was 300 feet. However, during the first patrol in combat it reached a depth of 340 feet.

Haven't changed anything regarding the guns, will attempt to modify reload time to make it a little slower (reload every 10 seconds).

No changes made to torpedo files, reloads were accomplished quickly- during the eighth war patrol (2 Mar 44) reloads of the four front tubes were made in ten minutes. On 6 Mar 44 four tubes were reloaded in 12 minutes.

SD radar was fitted to the Narwhal during it's first war patrol (24 May 42); I just copied the appropriate data from the NSSPclass udf for the SD and SJ radars and pasted it into the appropriate area in the NSSCalvi udf. Works great.

Yours, Mike
Old 05-12-07, 08:42 AM   #12
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 2

Just went through all models quickly, and sure the Calvi is the closest to the Narwhal Only the guns deck-platform is a bit different, but possibly just a repaint could solve that. Other than that, the flag is the only major change needed:hmm:
Old 05-12-07, 04:47 PM   #13
MadMike
Watch Officer

OK, who want's to volunteer to do a repaint of the Calvi (with permission, of course)?
I downloaded the JRF Texture Manager from Manual Ortega's website, will give it a shot tonight and see what happens (from an inexperienced SH2/PA painter's prospective). By the way, the Narwhal class was painted black during the war...

Yours, Mike

Last edited by MadMike; 05-12-07 at 05:03 PM.
Old 05-17-07, 06:52 PM   #14
MadMike
Watch Officer

Hmmm, is Seeadler and Sergbuto still around? Wonder if they can do some hex editing or repaints for a Narwhal class...

I edited the .udf and systems for the Narwhal. The boat handles as expected and I added external storage for additional torpedos (24 total). I'm using the P-class since the Calvi is a little too small (hey, gotta have that big underwater sonar target for the Japanese to detect...).
Otherwise, that's all folks.

Yours, Mike